PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listed a Home Business on Google Maps?

kahawai chaser
18-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi...

Just want a few ideas/tips for listing a NZ home based business on Google Maps. If your business actually runs from home do you include your home address or the separate physical business address if located away from home.
Thanks...

gary67
18-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't put my physical home address unless customers can come tot he house I would use a PO box if it's just for mail

pctek
18-06-2010, 12:41 PM
If your business actually runs from home do you include your home address .

Yep. I did.

wainuitech
18-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't put my physical home address unless customers can come tot he house I would use a PO box if it's just for mail x2 I have a PO box, Cell and normal phone numbers all with answering machines - if people want to get hold of me they call and I'll reply.

I had one guy a couple of years back, he looked up where I lived, and turned up on my front door step one Sunday night around 10pm with a broken PC in his hands, insisting I look at it NOW as he needed it the following day-- He was very abusive and swmbo was crapping her self.

I told him he could leave it and I would look at it tomorrow -- In the end I had to threaten to call the cops if he didn't leave. Just because I advertise service available 7 days a week, thats NOT 24 hours a day:mad:

kahawai chaser
19-06-2010, 06:14 PM
x2 I have a PO box, Cell and normal phone numbers all with answering machines - if people want to get hold of me they call and I'll reply.

I had one guy a couple of years back, he looked up where I lived, and turned up on my front door step one Sunday night around 10pm with a broken PC in his hands, insisting I look at it NOW as he needed it the following day-- He was very abusive and swmbo was crapping her self.

I told him he could leave it and I would look at it tomorrow -- In the end I had to threaten to call the cops if he didn't leave. Just because I advertise service available 7 days a week, thats NOT 24 hours a day:mad:

Hells Bells - Then I won't be home listing should I use Google maps. I think some that's why some trademe sellers won't have pick up - Demanding or otherwise characters could turn up...

george12
19-06-2010, 06:59 PM
FWIW I have my home address listed on Google Maps and my website for my computer repair business of 4 years.

I tend to average 5-8 visits a week and have not had an abusive customer yet.

I have had one or two people turn up unannounced which I consider unacceptable, but that's in four years so I hardly consider it an issue.

Nomad
19-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah I have used the GPS thru Google Earth and found it was 10km off the mark. Fortunately I been there before. This was also overseas. My accom just arriving from NZ.

kahawai chaser
20-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I read you also have to "claim" your listing or risk others (e.g. competitors) taking advantage, like what happened to that florist seller in the SI.