PDA

View Full Version : Did you find Office 2007 a learning curve?

Nomad
17-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I've been using Office 2003 at home and at work and found it a challenge to use Office 2007. Most of the time I have been using Office 2000.

I've taken up a course in IT and part of that is MS Office 2007. It's so slow following the book page by page for things I already know how to do. With employment agencies I have been assessed as a advanced user but with 2007 I am midiocure. Giving me headaches I found it better to skip the readings and just do the excercises and when I am stuck refer to the book.

To me it appears Office 2007 and Windows Vista/Seven have this web look of it. It also has this start bubble than a previous start button - and in office we get a Office bubble. I've found that it can be more user friendly for non IT people and for those people who haven't spent much time with MS Office (like in a work environment). They require more clicks.

You can draw the squares out when doing a table, I prefer to use the dialog box and do it the good old way :cool:

I don't particularly enjoy flipping to diff ribbons to get a diff functions.

The only adv I see is that you can preview the changes before you click the mouse.

From the workplaces, I haven't come across Office 2007 yet. :waughh:

coldot
17-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Yes! Complete change from '97 and '03. I'm scared to go near Office 2010 in case it's an equally steep learning curve. However, I read somewhere that there's a Microsoft add-on for 2007 to give you back a toolbar with old-fashioned menus!

Sweep
17-06-2010, 09:16 PM
There is an addon to give 2007 Office the menus from 2003. I will look it up. Currently using 2010 without the addon but I still have it so I will check to see if it works in 2010.

It does work as advertised in 2010 as well. To be found here:-

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/03/07/ubitmenu-use-the-office-2003-interface-in-office-2007/

jwil1
17-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Office 2010's UI is pretty much the same as 2007.

somebody
17-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I've used Office 2007 since when it was first released, and while it did take a few weeks to get used to, once you become familiar with the ribbon interface it's actually quite good. I will admit that initially it's hard to find things if you're used to the menu structure of Office 2003 and earlier.

Office 2010 is very very similar to 2007 - I'm running the 60-day evaluation version at the moment and have barely noticed anything different. The integration with their online tools is nicer though, and their web-version of Office isn't too bad either.

Jen
17-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I love Office 2007. :wub

I use Office 2003 at work and I am constantly trying to do stuff which can only be done in 2007. For example, in Word highlight some text and a pop up menu with many of the standard tool bar functions appears immediately above it. So much easier than mousing up to the top tool bars.

I use Word 07 for my studies at home and the inbuilt reference manager is awesome!

The only thing that bugs me is they have categorised certain tools under headings which are not logical to me and I have to look through the various tabs until I find it.

Overall, using Office 2007 was not a major learning curve and the whole ribbon thing or globe menu doesn't bother me.

nofam
17-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I've used Office 2007 since when it was first released, and while it did take a few weeks to get used to, once you become familiar with the ribbon interface it's actually quite good. I will admit that initially it's hard to find things if you're used to the menu structure of Office 2003 and earlier.

Office 2010 is very very similar to 2007 - I'm running the 60-day evaluation version at the moment and have barely noticed anything different. The integration with their online tools is nicer though, and their web-version of Office isn't too bad either.

Absolutely on the nail Somebody; the other (for me anyway) massive advantage of 2007/2010 is the ability to perform so many of the functions using key combinations; being able to do this while navigating with the mouse makes everything so much quicker.

Paul.Cov
17-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Hate the ribbon. It's a waste of screen real estate, and a waste of time hunting through it. But I suppose for those too challenged by a menubar that relies on something as archaic as text it may seem an improvement.

I suppose for imigrants who are unfamiliar with the language it might be a big advantage to have a menu / ribbon that is a bit more context sensitive.

pcuser42
17-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I use Office 2007 on both my desktop and netbook, and while the ribbon does take up a lot of space on the netbook, it can be minimised :thumbs:

The ribbon for me was not a huge learning curve.

GameJunkie
17-06-2010, 10:52 PM
used it since we got the desktop and put it on my laptop.

didnt take much to get used to it.

now, when i have to on the university computers they run office 07, but i dont like it on xp computers.

havent tried office 2010 though, doesnt look a whole lot different to 07, so no reason to upgrade.

Greven
17-06-2010, 10:59 PM
It took me a while to get used to 2007, but I like it. Using 2010 now & I'm glad they brought back the file button - makes phone support so much easier

forrest44
17-06-2010, 11:17 PM
What I've found... Office 2007 = Office 2003, just that everything is hiding in different places. OK once you know where everything is I suppose.

wainuitech
17-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Used both 2007 and the RTM of 2010, not to much difference outwardly between the two.

Didn't take long to get used to it, and where things are.

Like most programs though most people will only use a small portion of what its capable of doing.

Some of the time, people simply dont like change, and as soon as something comes along thats different they automatically go negative about it without even trying it out. All in all though I think its a lot better.

Office 2010 has a few more hidden "Tricks-Features" that 2007 doesn't.just a few (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfCRR0kJ5-s)

Nomad
18-06-2010, 12:12 AM
I cannot use the add-on b/c the course requires the ribbon use.

Maybe if larger orgs roll 2007/10 out there will be many complaints. Not to mention the tight deadlines required to submit work.
Anyone here a Microsoft Certified Trainer - how are the users adapting to them?

Orgs pay big bucks, bumped into a training org and they charge $400 for intro to Win7 and $2,000 to teach you how to configure it.

beeswax34
18-06-2010, 12:15 AM
It was really easy because everything was easy to see and there were so many cool features that were buried in previous versions. A really nice GUI :)

Jen
18-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Office 2010 has a few more hidden "Tricks-Features" that 2007 doesn't.just a few (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfCRR0kJ5-s)Handy video! It will be interesting to see how many of those features are backwards compatible with previous versions. For example, the video controls on a video in a PowerPoint slide look great, but they will be useless if most computers still run older versions of Office.

Hmm. Having just re-read what I have written, I think the PowerPoint example is wrong. Older versions of PowerPoint would display the video as they currently do (image of file). The control buttons are not built into the actual slide, but the program.

Sweep
18-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Office 2010 Publisher does NOT have one feature that 2007 does have. You can't use it to create web sites any more.

However if you have a site created in a previous version you can open same and work on it as usual.

somebody
18-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I cannot use the add-on b/c the course requires the ribbon use.

Maybe if larger orgs roll 2007/10 out there will be many complaints. Not to mention the tight deadlines required to submit work.
Anyone here a Microsoft Certified Trainer - how are the users adapting to them?

Orgs pay big bucks, bumped into a training org and they charge $400 for intro to Win7 and $2,000 to teach you how to configure it.

We're a smallish company and rolled out 2k7 progressively over the last two years. Apart from initial complaints of "where's xyz" everyone has adapted to it fine.

One of our clients did a large Office 2k7 rollout affecting hundreds of users in the last 12-18 months - I wasn't involved in that project, however I understand they did extensive testing to make sure legacy applications, documents, templates etc. would work properly, and provided training to staff over a number of months. From what I have heard, the project was a huge success.

wainuitech
18-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Select your application -- List of changes (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178980.aspx) per application.

pamai
18-06-2010, 09:16 AM
how do we know if some in online in this Site?

paulw
18-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I went from Office 2003 to Beta 2010. Took a bit of getting used to but I quite like it now especially outlook but having seen the M$ price gouging to go to Office 2010 with no upgrade path only buy new I will be going back to office 2003 when Oct 31 comes along.

gary67
18-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I was dreading changing from 03 to 07 last year but found the change to be painless although I mainly only use Word, Outlook and occasionally Excel

prefect
18-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Still got office 97, will wait till non student office 03 cd cost less than a $100 on Trademe then buy.

wainuitech
18-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Still got office 97, will wait till non student office 03 cd cost less than a $100 on Trademe then buy. You can get office starter 2010 for FREE and legal.

Theres a "catch" though,you have to buy a NEW PC-- But , Hey -- Office is free :p

Agent_24
18-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I ditched Microsoft Office a while ago and switched to OpenOffice

Wordperfect Office 2000 is also very nice, has some great features that Microsoft probably still doesn't have.

Twelvevolts
18-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I love Office 2007. :wub

I use Office 2003 at work and I am constantly trying to do stuff which can only be done in 2007. For example, in Word highlight some text and a pop up menu with many of the standard tool bar functions appears immediately above it. So much easier than mousing up to the top tool bars.

I use Word 07 for my studies at home and the inbuilt reference manager is awesome!

The only thing that bugs me is they have categorised certain tools under headings which are not logical to me and I have to look through the various tabs until I find it.

Overall, using Office 2007 was not a major learning curve and the whole ribbon thing or globe menu doesn't bother me.

Pretty much my experience - prefer 2007 at mo but will move on to 2010 no doubt.

Greven
18-06-2010, 10:13 PM
You can get office starter 2010 for FREE and legal.

Theres a "catch" though,you have to buy a NEW PC-- But , Hey -- Office is free :p

Or find someone who has bought a new computer & create a portable version on a flash drive.

I'm glad I get a free copy through work. I don't think it is $230 better than Open Office

wainuitech
19-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Or find someone who has bought a new computer & create a portable version on a flash drive.

I'm glad I get a free copy through work. I don't think it is $230 better than Open Office Best of luck trying to get it onto a flash drive, it doesn't install the same way as a usual install of software. Starter edition I'm referring to which is free with new PC's.

As for pricing -- MS office is cheap compared to other software- Some of Adobe's for example-- Now thats expensive.

xyz823
19-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Well out school upgraded from 2003 to 2007 at the start of this year. Although I don't know why they didn't just wait 6 months and get 2010? Anyway, I've been using it at home since it came out in '07 so I don't have any problems with it.

I understand that they trained all the teachers extensively although there have been A LOT of complaints from teachers as to why they needed to change... - as far as they were concerned '03 was just fine! But as the year has got on that group has become smaller and smaller and now a majority of teachers and students are happy using '07!

somebody
19-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Well out school upgraded from 2003 to 2007 at the start of this year. Although I don't know why they didn't just wait 6 months and get 2010? Anyway, I've been using it at home since it came out in '07 so I don't have any problems with it.

I understand that they trained all the teachers extensively although there have been A LOT of complaints from teachers as to why they needed to change... - as far as they were concerned '03 was just fine! But as the year has got on that group has become smaller and smaller and now a majority of teachers and students are happy using '07!

It wouldn't have cost them anything (directly anyway) - the Ministry of Education has done a deal with Microsoft to bulk-purchase licences for public schools, which includes upgrade rights to the version of Office or Windows being offered at the time. When 2010 is made available, it will most likely be included in the agreement. See: http://www.moe.dsv.co.nz/

prefect
19-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Can someone tell me what is defined by student package for office 2007 on Trademe, is it like a gun licence where you have to show documentation before you can buy a shooter.
Do you have to show whatever students have to buy it cheaply.
I am a student of the history of German tanks does that count?

Nomad
19-06-2010, 12:55 PM
student home version does not need ID, you can get it from the shop. it can be any students or non students, just non-profit like a career person come home and wanna type a newsletter for his computer club.

the ultimate steal can only be available to certain students, you also need a qualifiable student email and you have to download it. you cannot go to a shop.

Nomad
19-06-2010, 03:02 PM
i spent some hours working on ms word today

with the instructors its strange. the formatting is just not consistent. you can put spacing before and after the row of words - what happen is it sometime works and other times it might not work. so i end up pressing enter and then if i want turn spacing on for the 2nd line.

similar with tab stops, it might work on one section of the document and it doesn't on another part.

sometimes the formatting cannot be done and you have to retype the paragraph, similar with left right centre or justified settings.

at times also under print layout it looks exactly the way you want it. once you hit print preview it is different.

:lol:
and tell me about in a work environment when you may be dealing witha 50pg report or such. :lol:

the instructors just said don't worry about it .....

wainuitech
19-06-2010, 03:06 PM
the instructors just said don't worry about it ..... maybe they dont have the answer :D

Nomad
19-06-2010, 03:09 PM
the same stupid thing happens at work eh ...
they also conflict with templates the org sets up.

it is like you do it this section - doesn't work.
move a few lines down the same page and do exactly the same thing and it works. it's stupid.

Digby
20-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I want to get Office 2010

But I still resent having to pay full price when I bought 2003.

How much money does Bill want to make out of me.

Surely there should be a discount for current owners. Like a car trade-in (oops not a good example)

Jen
20-06-2010, 10:52 PM
sometimes the formatting cannot be done and you have to retype the paragraph, similar with left right centre or justified settings.

at times also under print layout it looks exactly the way you want it. once you hit print preview it is different. Large documents that have been fiddled with heaps can lose the plot. Have you tried deleting your normal.dot file? This is the basic format template used by word. If you have saved special formatting styles to your template, then you will lose them.

If your normal view vs print view changes, check to make sure you don't have tracked changes that have not been accepted (or rejected) present.