PDA

View Full Version : Best Free Backup Software

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey guys! goodiesguy (A.K.A Nathan) here.

i would like to know the best backup software as i wish to do regular backups as i know its nessisary as my pc is getting abit old.

i used Norton Ghost to backup. it left me with the black screen of death with only a curser.

any contributions (but no abuse) are greatly appreciated:)

wainuitech
17-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Are you talking daily/Weekly backups of data ? or backing up the whole HDD, programs data the lot.?

One I use myself, in conjunction with WHS (full daily Computer backups) is a free one called Fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/), you select the files you want to back up, the location to back up to, (removable drive, LAN PC/ Server) time to do it, daily/weekly/monthly, and it does it automatically.

Works on W7 XP Vista.

While there are many others - one of the good things I like is it backs up to a zipped file, meaning if you want to have a look at a file, you simply open the zipped backup and can read it on any PC.
Heres an example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Backup1276757054.jpg) - one of the 3 backups it did last night - open Via my zipping program over the LAN- reading from a server.

MANY backup software programs back up in their own format, requiring the program to be installed on another computer if you want to read it.

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for the info. i want to back up stuff like audio files and video files etc..

somebody
17-06-2010, 08:01 PM
What do you want to back up your data to? Do you have an external USB hard drive, or do you want to back up to CDs/DVDs, or a network location?

I would look at Microsoft Synctoy as a start, if you want to simply backup files from your hard drive to a USB hard drive or similar - it's free, simple, and works with XP.

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 08:17 PM
i wish to backup to USB external Hard Drive

wainuitech
17-06-2010, 08:22 PM
The one I posted FBackup, as well as synctoy both will do that. Synctoy is Ok, but some of the descriptions as to how you want to back up, can be a little confusing.

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 08:30 PM
ok thanks for your help. much appreciated

Nomad
17-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I use SyncBack myself.

I sync my files 2nd HDD to 1st HDD 2nd partition and to the external HD.
Via the settings i can choose to copy the source if more files on the destination or delete the files on the destination.

gary67
17-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Syncback for data files daily and weekly image of C drive using true image works for me

wainuitech
17-06-2010, 09:06 PM
What ever you use, make sure it actually works, in other words once it does a back up, make sure you can restore the items-- Backups are of no use if they dont work.

I lost count of the number of times I have seen customers doing "backups", never test them, then when needed discovered they are useless / failed.

gary67
17-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Mine get tested and that's why I don't image the data drive but do folders so I can easily check what's in them

zqwerty
17-06-2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html

AvonBill
17-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Syncback for continuous file to file backup.
Easeus ToDo Backup for image backup.

zqwerty
17-06-2010, 11:41 PM
http://www.jumpingbytes.com/en/puresync.html

Greven
17-06-2010, 11:54 PM
The one I posted FBackup, as well as synctoy both will do that. Synctoy is Ok, but some of the descriptions as to how you want to back up, can be a little confusing.

The older versions were confusing, but they fixed that. I use synctoy to back up my user directory to a USB hard drive covered in bright yellow rubber so I can't lose it :clap I do manage the impossible on occasion though

Synctoy can be scheduled, but there are probably easier programs to use if that is what you want

Digby
18-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I backup up manually (by copying the folders I need) to external hard drives.

But then again I am a bit weird sometimes.

But at least that way I can test some files

goodiesguy
18-06-2010, 03:29 PM
that's what we did with my dads pc a way back when we got our first external hard drive. took a damn long time too

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Yup if I have to format this, I just copy all of the install files to one of the other PC's here. Then put them back later. I can back up emails, favs / settings / docs with this jetflash flash drive

Deimos
18-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Use NTBackup, its built in to Windows XP, If you ever upgrade to Windows 7 it has the best built in backup ever, backs up to a VHD, you can either use the backup wizard to restore file or just mount the VHD in disk management.