PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to broadband via ethernet cable ?

Digby
17-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi GUys

I know this is probably a very silly question, but my daugther wants to know if she plug her laptop into a phone jack that has broadband connected. She will be using an ethernet to phone jack cable.

I have told her this won't work, that she will need someone in the house to have a wireless modem.

Renmoo
17-06-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not trying to be a dick, but could you please rephrase this?

I know this is probably a very silly question, but my daugther wants to know if she plug her laptop into a phone jack that has broadband connected. She will be using an ethernet to phone jack cable.

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
17-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Try it it'll either work or it wont

Nomad
17-06-2010, 05:41 PM
dunno what adaptors you can get etc.
i understand that RJs are backward compatible, so a ethernet cable can be used as a telephone cable but not the other way round.

The Error Guy
17-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Probably no, The "phone Jack" needs an ADSL modem to send data over the Phoneline. I have never heard of an Ethernet to phone adapter. it would most likely be used for using a phone with an Ethernet cable.

If you have a laptop with a wired connection (from the modem to the laptop) and wireless card you can set up a ad-hoc network and share the internet connection between the laptops. you can also get software that lets your laptops wireless card act as a proper wireless router. if you need help setting this up just make another post or PM me.

Either that or you can buy a wireless router or small 4 port network switch so you can wire the laptop + other computer at the same time (saves un plugging the cables) cheap 4 port switches can be found at most 2nd hand tech shops or they are about $50 to buy new. spending $70-100 will get you a decent wireless router