PDA

View Full Version : Interesting find inside a TM purchase..............

Billy T
17-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi Team

I recently bought a pile of vintage radio parts off TM and when I collected them they were packed in an old and well worn fibreboard suitcase. After I emptied it I saw that there was some cardboard stuffed in the bottom to cover holes and cracks. I was about to dump it all when curiosity got the better of me and I hooked the lining out.

What I then found were two 500mm x 410mm cardboard posters from the 1956 Springbok Rugby tour in pretty good condition. One has had all the game results penciled in in the spaces provided, and the other is blank. With them was a 470 x 700 paper poster from the 1959 Lions tour, also with scores filled in. This is tattier with a corner missing and some creasing. All the players photos are on the Springbok posters (see attachment) and as you would expect, they are conspicuously white!

I'll probably move these on via TM again because I have no great interest in Rugby memorabilia and I think that they more properly belong in the hands of rugby enthusiasts, but I'm interested to know where this tour sat in the SA/NZ touring sequence. Their first tour here was in 1921 apparently, so I'm picking this to be the fourth or fifth given that the Depression and WWII got in the way a bit. Anybody out there got a Rugby history book that might have the answer?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Steven
17-06-2010, 01:58 PM
SA to NZ 1921 tied series
NZ to SA 1928 tied series
SA to NZ 1937 SA win 2-1
NZ to SA 1949 SA win 4-0
The 1956 when NZ won 3-1

Billy T
17-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks Steven

Looks like I was a bit optimistic on the 'to NZ' Tour frequency. Five was a fair guess for the total, but I completely forgot about the NZ trips to SA :blush:

I'm a bit surprised to find that it was only SA's third tour of NZ in 35 years though, so the Depression and WWII must have been real show stoppers!

They went on to Oz, where they whupped the Aussies with a clean sweep of 6 games, 150 to 26! :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Renmoo
17-06-2010, 02:35 PM
TM the posters!

KarameaDave
17-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Good find!

kenj
17-06-2010, 07:27 PM
I can remember that poster being in the barbers shop in Avondale!

Ken :clap

Billy T
17-06-2010, 08:59 PM
TM the posters!

I guess timing would be everything for that! Not much point while the Soccer WC is on, but perhaps during rugby fever before the Rugby WC starts, or during it. I don't think they would be worth much though, probably be lucky to get $50 each, maybe a little more for the one with the scores filled in. I'm more interested in getting them into the hands of somebody who will actually keep them around for posterity. I know the name of the original owner too, though I didn't buy the bits off him.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)