PDA

View Full Version : Jumpy mouse

Cicero
16-06-2010, 06:51 PM
My mouse has become rather jerky,not as smooth as it used to be,also when playing patience it tend to sort of chatter again instead of smooth action as it was b4?

Can anything be done about this lads?

Forgot to mention,I did a full malware bight scan,it seemed to improve,but am back to chatter again

wotz
16-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Are you losing patience?

Morgenmuffel
16-06-2010, 07:27 PM
not a hair in your optical hole thingie, or dirty pads

Cicero
16-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Are you losing patience?

I do,mostly:o

I just rebooted and it improves,but in no time it will become jumpy again.

My mouse is a laser type,so not many holes to get hair in!

lakewoodlady
16-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Clean your mouse and it's pad.

LL

Paul.Cov
16-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Try drinking less coffee!

But on a serious note, I find having a mouse surface that is too smooth / glossy causes this to some degree.
If you sit the mouse on newspaper does it settle down and stay still?

Cicero
16-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Still OK after reboot,so will report back if it misbehaves again.

forrest44
17-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Is it PS/2 or USB?

I know I have had issues like you describe with a perfectly good USB mouse, that was used through a PS/2 to USB converter on an older computer...

Perhaps the chip in the mouse doesn't like the chipset in the computer :(

feersumendjinn
17-06-2010, 01:44 AM
My mouse is a laser type,so not many holes to get hair in!
Some laser mice have the laser and photodiode recessed into the base about 5mm or so (my MS wireless mouse does), and it gets hair/fluff in the hole occasionally, which causes the pointer to dodge and weave about, take a look with a magnifying glass, can be very small.
Another cause may be if you're using a "3D" style mouse pad (with a "moving" (lenticular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing)) picture) it can cause the pointer to jump all over the screen.

Cicero
17-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Is it PS/2 or USB?

I know I have had issues like you describe with a perfectly good USB mouse, that was used through a PS/2 to USB converter on an older computer...

Perhaps the chip in the mouse doesn't like the chipset in the computer :(

USB,It has worked ok for 6 months.

I shall check it's hole:)

Sweep
17-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Don't get stuck in the mouse hole will you. Also I find that dropping bits of cheese on the mouse pad may cause the problems you are having. :illogical

Cicero
17-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't get stuck in the mouse hole will you. Also I find that dropping bits of cheese on the mouse pad may cause the problems you are having. :illogical

That was the hole to which I was referring,I note peanut butter is a good mouse activator.

Jen
17-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I know 99.5% of your posts are in the Chat forum, but computer related questions belong in the PressF1 forum. Thread moved ...

8ftmetalhaed
17-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Could be a dying mouse laser. I bought a new gaming mouse, the laser died in less than a week. If you've got a mouse with adjustable DPI, check it isn't set too high. Mice with over 1200-1600 DPI are very jumpy in certain cases. Mine, when on higher settings has jiggling problems, and when a dvd is spinning full speed the mouse moves from the vibrations.

Cicero
18-06-2010, 01:48 AM
I know 99.5% of your posts are in the Chat forum, but computer related questions belong in the PressF1 forum. Thread moved ...

How kind of you pointing that out!