PDA

View Full Version : Ah good,increase in electricity prices.

Cicero
16-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I take it some of you will have received this............

In my case from Contact Energy.

From 1 July 2010, your electricity and/or natural gas prices will increase, as a result of the Government's Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS).

The Government has introduced the ETS as part of a range of measures to try to reduce New Zealand's total greenhouse gas emissions.

These price increases will apply to the variable part of your bill - which reflects the actual amount of electricity and/or gas you use. Electricity prices will increase by 0.77 cents per kilowatt hour and gas prices will increase by 0.27 cents per kilowatt hour. These increases exclude GST and are prior to the application of your prompt payment discount.

PaulD
16-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Wait to see Contact's windfall profit on its Hydro and Geothermal power.

R2x1
16-06-2010, 06:30 PM
It may be dearer power, but it has an enhanced calorific value. (It's already making your blood boil.)

Netsukeninja
16-06-2010, 07:19 PM
is that a .77 cent or .77 dollar increase?

lakewoodlady
16-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Doesn't matter which, it is still the rip off of the century for those the least able to afford to pay. The power companies produce the power, so they should pay, not the sucked in consumers. How is paying more to them going to reduce emissions, when it may just tip those over the edge with their power bills and force them to be disconnected for non payment?

LL :(

Nomad
16-06-2010, 07:31 PM
we just changed from Contact to Genesis (for gas).
they are more $$$.

we switched to Genesis electricity some yrs ago.

Cicero
16-06-2010, 07:38 PM
we just changed from Contact to Genesis (for gas).
they are more $$$.

we switched to Genesis electricity some yrs ago.

My sentiments entirely Lady.

Will I gain by changing,one wonders?

mikebartnz
16-06-2010, 09:06 PM
The power companies produce the power, so they should pay, not the sucked in consumers.
In business the customer always pays.
There was an interesting thing on Fair Go about interest free loans like Hardly Normal do and like I thought they aren't truly interest free.

gary67
16-06-2010, 09:08 PM
In business the customer always pays.
There was an interesting thing on Fair Go about interest free loans like Hardly Normal do and like I thought they aren't truly interest free.

Just watched that too confirmed what I already thought, didn't realise it was illegal to do a cash deal though if it's lower than the interest free deal

robbyp
16-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Just watched that too confirmed what I already thought, didn't realise it was illegal to do a cash deal though if it's lower than the interest free deal

Yes, that is fair. However that doesn't stop you negotiating a discount if you pay cash. You can save heaps by doing this. I got a $3600 oven for $2800 by asking what the best discount deal they could do me for cash was. Otherwise why should cash buyers have to pay the same ticket price amount as the interest free buyers, when the retailer ends up paying the interest for those buyers, thus the cost is a lot more for the retailer.

gary67
17-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes I always try and get a cash deal but the point I was making is I didn't know it was illegal for the dealer to do that, on Fair go it was an Auckland car dealer who did that and got fined heavily for doing so

PaulD
17-06-2010, 08:37 AM
"cash price" used to be shorthand for a discount because the sale wouldn't go through the books and tax wouldn't be paid. Why should it have much relevance at HN?

coldfront
17-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Would you prefer to have your electricity bill come from two sources in two seperate bills?

One for the supplier use e.g. Genesis, meridian mercury etc

And one from the Company responsile for the lines? Now that is a rip off you have fixed all year around. So no matter how much you use or even if you leave your house empty or a month or two you still pay that Lines Bill. Bit like your telephone rental only based on what you have used over a three month period last winter. Best part this second billing system is you are the one who determines how big it is and if your a power hog during the periods they call loading on the system you get burned.

Nomad
17-06-2010, 09:35 AM
most users plans are already charging that ... approx $1/day and then the kW charge, 20c per kW.

there are a few i think without the daily charges but the kW rate is higher, unless you are a v low user, they tend to be the same ore even more (like a lot more maybe 2x). good for retirees or solo adults.

i quite like a cellphone without the fixed charges, doubt i get a landline in the future for myself. i don't play games so if i had to wireless prob be ok for surfing the net.

but for the phones afaik there are a decent amount of people who do make use of the free local calling, they could be on the phone for hours a week and the deals for national calls are not bad either. that's one adv over cellular.

Nomad
17-06-2010, 09:43 AM
My sentiments entirely Lady.

Will I gain by changing,one wonders?

we save about $20/mo for our usage.

you cannot do anything about so i think get use to it. is there a place where one does not complain. like the internet, $50 or even a $100 is not bad when you look at a gym subscription for a yr that might be $23-25 a week and assuming some people may attend only on each 2nd day. have a feed and it might be $8-16 for lunch, well a meat pie and a coffee at a coffee shop might be $5 :D

Cicero
17-06-2010, 09:45 AM
My point was,to point out the dubiosity of this tax being of any benefit to New Zealand's greenhouse gas emissions.

Not is H/N a rip off merchant.

Cicero
17-06-2010, 09:55 AM
we save about $20/mo for our usage.

you cannot do anything about so i think get use to it. is there a place where one does not complain. like the internet, $50 or even a $100 is not bad when you look at a gym subscription for a yr that might be $23-25 a week and assuming some people may attend only on each 2nd day. have a feed and it might be $8-16 for lunch, well a meat pie and a coffee at a coffee shop might be $5 :D

Interesting world you live in there Nomad of Pies and coffee !.

I find with bill being so variable,that to sort out what is saving or not is impossible,especially as a none note taker.

PaulD
17-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Would you prefer to have your electricity bill come from two sources in two seperate bills?

I like to see the supplier have to consider the amount of ETS money it is making off renewable sourced power before deciding how much extra it needs to charge the customer.

Gobe1
17-06-2010, 10:11 AM
And a break down on what they are doing with that ETS money? giving it to the shareholders for instance

Arnie
17-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Around 2 years ago I went to www.consumer.org.nz/powerswitch and found I could save $150 PA by switching from Contact, I check every 6 months now and find that I am still saving $120 PA by NOT using contact. Easy to follow and use, piece of cake to swap. Different areas have different companies and prices. Check yours out. :thumbs:

Cicero
17-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Around 2 years ago I went to www.consumer.org.nz/powerswitch and found I could save $150 PA by switching from Contact, I check every 6 months now and find that I am still saving $120 PA by NOT using contact. Easy to follow and use, piece of cake to swap. Different areas have different companies and prices. Check yours out. :thumbs:

Good to hear that,but I presume you will be subject to the tax to which I am referring?

Which by the way,I think is outrageous.

Gobe1
17-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Agreed - Outrageous

KarameaDave
17-06-2010, 12:06 PM
If there was a chance the money would be put
into R&D, to alleviate the issues raised by our CO2
emissions, it would be slightly more acceptable in my opinion.
The money will of course, enrich those who need it least...as usual.

Battleneter2
17-06-2010, 01:22 PM
It annoys me Electricity in Australia is around 25% cheaper than NZ, considering they use fossil fuel(mostly black and brown coal) to generate most of there capacity and we use Hydro, which is largely seen as a much cheaper way to generate electricity.

Add in other factors like NZ has very short transmission distances to cover and there is little reason for the cost difference.

Cicero
17-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Agreed - Outrageous

You will note,either they couldn't give a toss,or they think as the darlecks think,resistance is useless!!

I am talking of the likes of Terry and co.

mikebartnz
17-06-2010, 09:53 PM
"cash price" used to be shorthand for a discount because the sale wouldn't go through the books and tax wouldn't be paid. Why should it have much relevance at HN?
BS:illogical

coldfront
17-06-2010, 09:54 PM
most users plans are already charging that ... approx $1/day and then the kW charge, 20c per kW.

there are a few i think without the daily charges but the kW rate is higher, unless you are a v low user, they tend to be the same ore even more (like a lot more maybe 2x). good for retirees or solo adults.

i quite like a cellphone without the fixed charges, doubt i get a landline in the future for myself. i don't play games so if i had to wireless prob be ok for surfing the net.

but for the phones afaik there are a decent amount of people who do make use of the free local calling, they could be on the phone for hours a week and the deals for national calls are not bad either. that's one adv over cellular.

Actualy no you do not understand how the charges of The Lines Company Work. btw thats also the name of the company.

zqwerty
17-06-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.powershop.co.nz/

PaulD
17-06-2010, 11:25 PM
BS:illogical

BS yourself :p

"The drive for improved tax integrity is also focusing on the black economy, those, "operating outside the tax system". It is timely for IRD to target under-the-table businesses.

The increase in GST to 15 per cent from October is likely to increase consumer demand for tradespeople, servicemen and suppliers to run two sets of prices.

As it happens, cash jobs are among the transactions showing the least integrity of all: commonly the tradesman will agree to deduct the 12.5 per cent GST but seldom his or her income tax component of, say, 33 per cent as well, which is also not being paid to the state. The Government is being doubly short-changed and the customer is not getting a fair share of the unpaid tax." http://www.nzherald.co.nz/economy/news/article.cfm?c_id=34&objectid=10646725

mikebartnz
18-06-2010, 12:03 AM
BS yourself :p

"The drive for improved tax integrity is also focusing on the black economy, those, "operating outside the tax system". It is timely for IRD to target under-the-table businesses.

The increase in GST to 15 per cent from October is likely to increase consumer demand for tradespeople, servicemen and suppliers to run two sets of prices.

As it happens, cash jobs are among the transactions showing the least integrity of all: commonly the tradesman will agree to deduct the 12.5 per cent GST but seldom his or her income tax component of, say, 33 per cent as well, which is also not being paid to the state. The Government is being doubly short-changed and the customer is not getting a fair share of the unpaid tax." http://www.nzherald.co.nz/economy/news/article.cfm?c_id=34&objectid=10646725
When the "how much for cash" was presented in this thread it related to the retail industry and not the service industry so you are talking about something completely different.:groan:

PaulD
18-06-2010, 06:57 AM
When the "how much for cash" was presented in this thread it related to the retail industry and not the service industry so you are talking about something completely different.:groan:

That's why I said "Why should it have much relevance at HN? " as I couldn't see why HN would give a discount for cash as I couldn't see any advantage for them apart from cash flow. It's probably more profitable for any retailer to sign you up to a credit deal.

gary67
18-06-2010, 09:57 AM

And like the government don't tax us twice? Tax on petrol then GST on the Petrol and on the tax since when is that fair?

prefect
18-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Cashies
;)
Say no more

Cicero
18-06-2010, 10:11 AM
And like the government don't tax us twice? Tax on petrol then GST on the Petrol and on the tax since when is that fair?

Sorry to say,life is not fair.

gary67
18-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Just pointing out C that we get short changed more than the gummermint