PDA

View Full Version : MS Office 2010 Min hardware Specs :really !!

sroby
16-06-2010, 11:55 AM
MS Office 2010 Min hardware Specs
# Intel Pentium III processor, 500 MHz
# 256 MB PC100 SDRAM
Win XP SP3 min OS

Really. Come on MS, time to get real surely . Look at the trouble caused by setting Vista min spec(RAM) far too low.

An XP with that min spec will be barely running Win without Office trying to run on top.
These specs will just have users with older PC's saying 2010 is just runs like a dog.

I would have thought 1.6Ghz(ha) 512M min (on XP), 1G recommended.
insert OpenOffice(Abiword/notepad) comments here :p

B.M.
16-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Fair comment.

But what is it in XP SP3 that brings XP to its knees on older machines?

I've seen older machines almost stop once SP3 is installed.

Agent_24
16-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah I have noticed that too, I think it is the new services added which are enabled by default (maybe among other things)

But remember minimum specification doesn't mean the program will run well, it just means it will run.

Recommended spec is what you need to meet if you want it to run properly.

I think some people don't understand the meaning of "Minimum system requirements"

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Fair comment.

But what is it in XP SP3 that brings XP to its knees on older machines?

I've seen older machines almost stop once SP3 is installed.

It affected some, NOT all AMD systems (most were HP systems). This is one of the reasons (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01457284)

Agent_24
16-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't think that what he's talking about, I think it's the fact that older PCs run much slower after SP3 gets installed.

For example, a 350Mhz Pentium 2 runs XP SP1 pretty well actually, yet when XP SP3 is installed, it runs much worse.

(I have done this myself and and I know it to be true)

pctek
16-06-2010, 03:44 PM
MS Office 2010 Min hardware Specs
# Intel Pentium III processor, 500 MHz
# 256 MB PC100 SDRAM
Win XP SP3 min OS

Really. Come on MS, time to get real surely . Look at the trouble caused by setting Vista min spec(RAM) far too low.

It's an office suite not an O/S. Nor a game.

sroby
17-06-2010, 01:11 PM
It's an office suite not an O/S. Nor a game.

???, not sure how thats relevant
does anyone really think that Office07 will be usable (in a work enviroment) on a XP PC with those min specs ?? (Also having to run AV, etc etc)

Point is there are MANY who see min spec as 100% OK to run this software.
Giving a totally unrealistc min spec is just asking for grief & bad reputation when users start complaining about how slow this software is (on underpowered PC's)
I hear this alot allready with Office07 (1G RAM u/g usually helps here)

MS should of learnt with their unrealistc MIN spec for Vista. Laptop/PC manufactures actually sold bucketloads of Vista machines with only MIN spec.
That was what helped ruin Vista's reputation.

pctek
17-06-2010, 01:29 PM
???, not sure how thats relevant

Because those are mostly the only 2 things that need state of the art, latest hardware.
Word doesn't.

Digby
17-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Remind me of a list of tech jokes I had years ago.

Runs on most hardware (but not yours)

Revolutionary (it goes round)

Nomad
17-06-2010, 02:00 PM
With experience (that we use almost daily) on a P3 600Mhz 320MB Windows XP is sure usable. But not for the internet, the RAM is too less. We have also ran Office 2003 on it not tried 2007 yet thou, cos that's just one user license ;)

How much of a learning curve is 2010 Office? Having a hard time with Office 2007 right now, never used the ribbon style and there is a course I need to get thru with it :lol:

Nomad
17-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Well those are minimum. We get thru ok with it. As a home user.

In a corporate environment they may wanna take on the recommended requirements if MS suggest that.

Myself and a few others were running Windows 95 on a 386 :p