PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR Query.

bob_doe_nz
15-06-2010, 10:36 PM
If you take a picture without a lens attached (at the monitor for example) , is there a discernible picture? Or is it just a white screen with nothing in focus?

Sweep
15-06-2010, 10:45 PM
You mean no lense at all? If so I would think you'd get no focus as described.

bob_doe_nz
15-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Fingers crossed that's what happens.

Sent a PM to Misty, but he hasn't been here in over a week.

Sweep
15-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Funny you should say that. I just sent a PM to Ice Road Trucker who hasn't been here since late last month. He has PMs turned off. I guess he's in self imposed exile again. :-)

roddy_boy
16-06-2010, 03:51 AM
You'd get a picture with dark and light patches but that's about it.

Nomad
16-06-2010, 08:51 AM
If you take a picture without a lens attached (at the monitor for example) , is there a discernible picture? Or is it just a white screen with nothing in focus?

it is just white, the opening is just too large so it will overexpose. i have tried this.

if you want a picture, look at a pin-camera approach. put a black thick piece of paper over the lens mount and use a pin to make a hole. you need to manually focus the camera by using diff distance to the subject (by physically moving the camera), and trying diff exposure times out or making the hole diff size.

yes you may get dark patches around it due to vignetting. many dslrs are apc-sensor sizes - smaller than 35mm but the lens mount tend to cater for 35mm style lenses as well as apc-style lenses.

bob_doe_nz
16-06-2010, 03:58 PM
if you want a picture, look at a pin-camera approach. put a black thick piece of paper over the lens mount and use a pin to make a hole. you need to manually focus the camera by using diff distance to the subject (by physically moving the camera), and trying diff exposure times out or making the hole diff size.

Hey! That works :clap

This camera really was a bargain.

Nomad
16-06-2010, 04:03 PM
there are actually some hard core pin hole photographers out there incl a wall poster of (the old) Wellington Museum - the guy made his own cam using wooden planks of wood to a size like a lunch box - inside was a piece of larger film size - medium format - larger than 35mm. you could also use darkroom paper as well ... .

he also made another using a empty roll of film (the container) and tying it off a tree branch to get interesting pictures.

bob_doe_nz
16-06-2010, 04:25 PM
How about a camera made entirely out of Lego?

wratterus
16-06-2010, 04:49 PM

See James May about that. :p

KarameaDave
16-06-2010, 04:51 PM
See James May about that. :p

:lol::lol:

wratterus
16-06-2010, 04:59 PM
...made his own cam using wooden planks of wood...

:illogical :D

Nomad
16-06-2010, 05:45 PM

google it. someone made a sheet film cam with that - cloth over head.

bob_doe_nz
16-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Hmm, just ten more days till a lunar eclipse. Fingers crossed the camera will be all hunky dory by then.

Misty
17-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Fingers crossed that's what happens.

Sent a PM to Misty, but he hasn't been here in over a week.

Hi Bob,
Glad you got it sorted out. If you had got really stuck I would have ask one of my mates from NS Photographic Soc for the answer.

Hope you get some good pics !
Misty :D

PS - if you still have your mask from one of the recent PressF1 getogethers then you could use that and put a pinhole in the front. :D :D