PDA

View Full Version : windows 7

the_inspector
15-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi
I have a toshiba satellite a100 and wish to upgrade to windows 7, I have been onto the toshiba website and it tells me that the machine is not able to be upgraded, is anyone able to give me a direction to follow.
It only has 1Gb of ram, is this a problem or if I put another 1Gb of ram in will it work then or do I just write it off and continue using windows vista on it

GameJunkie
15-06-2010, 08:57 PM
it will run slow on 1Gb, bumping it up to 2GB will have it running sweetly

gary67
15-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Are there drivers for the hardware available for Win7? Vista ones might work. If you keep the recovery partition you can always revert back to Vista if it doesn't work. Another gig of RAM will help though even on Vista, I personally would just put more RAM in and continue with Vista

Sweep
15-06-2010, 09:23 PM
The motherboard will take up to two Gig in two slots according to the Manual.

mzee
15-06-2010, 09:42 PM
If it runs Vista it will run W7.
A lot of the Vista & XP drivers work with it.
If you install the Motherboard drivers by pointing the installer to the folder containing the drivers they should go in. Try the setup first, but it will probably object.

W7 has a large library of drivers, usually the only one that needs looking for is the Graphics driver.

You need 2 gig of ram otherwise it will be using the swap file all the time.
Use 32bit W7.

AvonBill
15-06-2010, 11:16 PM
If you have no drivers problems Windows 7 will probably run better than Vista without any RAM upgrade, it is certainly not a requirement. If you are happy with the performance of the machine with Vista you will be happy with Windows 7.

If you want, get the extra RAM later whether you stay with Vista or upgrade to Windows 7.