PDA

View Full Version : MSSE vs a bunch of other Antivirus products.

KarameaDave
15-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Microsofts antivirus stacked up well in this test...good on them.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Security-Essentials-vs-Kaspersky-Panda-Avira-Symantec-McAfee-AVG-BitDefender-144553.shtml

The Hitcher
15-06-2010, 05:20 PM
The MS haters are going to hate that!

wratterus
15-06-2010, 05:22 PM
That's a good effort, big ups to MS. MSSE and Windows 7 - two things in a row gone very right!

(Well most of the time, unless it inexplicably decides to use 100% CPU on your PC and none of the fixes work)

(but that hardly ever happens)

Anyway, where was I?

:punk

wainuitech
15-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Good to see some real results -- Seems Symantec didn't pay the testers enough $$ this time -- sitting at #7 in the list :devil

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 05:28 PM
symantec damages your computer. i can't be called an antivirus software. they should rename it "Symantec Norton Computer Destruction Kit"

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 05:30 PM
accoring to that page, avg is better than avast. i must remove avast from my main system and pop MSE on it like i did with my new laptop

nofam
15-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Good to see some real results -- Seems Symantec didn't pay the testers enough $$ this time -- sitting at #7 in the list :devil

As opposed to the latest Consumer magazine's Security Suite test - from memory, Norton & Kaspersky were 1st and 2nd out of about 14. . . . . .NOD32 was 3rd last. :lol:

Clearly, Consumer don't get Xmas cards from Eset. . . . .:p

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Keep in mind this is also heuristic detection, as they froze the updates as of Feb 10, then used viruses / malware that were released over the next week to see if they could pick them up, without having a specific signature for that variant.

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 06:20 PM
i may as well just keep avast then. if the test is that old. i may not be accurate

wainuitech
15-06-2010, 06:28 PM
i may as well just keep avast then. if the test is that old. i may not be accurate Those tests are nothing but a joke. Ask any tech, or person that works with PC's all the time repairing them, and they will usually tell you the so called "Winners of lab tests" fail badly in the real world.

Theres been several posts with examples of "certain No 1 Antivirus products" cough cough saying the PC is clean, but its obviously not, and its been proven. I did a whole lot of tests using various AV's a while back ;)

they should rename it "Symantec Norton Computer Destruction Kit" you got that right :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I got recommended this site by somebody saying that NOD32 was the one to use:
http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

Yet they rank Symantec above them, so the whole thing's inaccurate IMO because of that.

I trust the tests that wainuitech did personally, real-world tests, not "lab experiments". They were good stuff, and IMO should feature in the PCWorld mag!!

R2x1
15-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, NOD have a whole lot of advertising in PCW (Last time I looked, quite a while ago as I don't need a toaster) so it should not hurt Fairfax too much if they mention it.

I must confess that MSE continues to surprise me, I have installed it in quite a few machines now and everybody seems to be pretty pleased with it. No disturbances, doesn't hog resources and just quietly and unobtrusively does it's thing. I find the M part of it's name a bit hard to believe; it just works too well.
Without Vista preparing the ground, Win7 might be regarded as a bit of a damp squib. However, it is (considering the source) pretty close to adequate, what a pity they didn't put a bit of thought into it ;)

wainuitech
15-06-2010, 09:49 PM
One of the occurrences I seem to be coming across more often these days (no doubt others do as well) is a person will have a Antivirus on the PC, they think its working, but in reality some malware has disabled the AV.

(AVG is the biggest culprit I find, with Norton then avast)

This is quite often confirmed by the fact the PC is riddled with infections, the AV wont update, or when you try to open it, it simply closes or wont open at all.

The various cleaners, (spybot, Super antispyware, trojan remover along with a few others) all find infections.

Since I use Nod32 - when a scan is put through the PC/Laptop, its very rare if it doesn't find something - more often than not Nod32 finds active infections even when loading on the first install - this is on a PC that the other AV's have said is clean.

Aint this job fun ;) -----------Love IT ! --- Hardly ever a dull moment.

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 10:18 PM
does Nod32 have a free version? of not i'm poping MSE on my pc like i did with my new laptop. i have had 1 virus so far which avast failed to pick up but malwarebytes did. it was called spacequery.exe. i'm installing MSE right now. avast is not as good as i though. i'll let my dad know

Sweep
15-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Nod32 is not free.

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 10:35 PM
i've just switched to MSE on my main pc from avast 5. i am seeing a speed improvment. im gonna run a scan

wainuitech
15-06-2010, 10:36 PM
No free version- its paid software. They do have a 30 day free trial (http://www.eset.com/download/free-trial/international) though.

"Official" retail pricing is for the Antivirus.

1st year $69.21 Yearly renewal $48.44

Edited: I see they have a Mobile version (http://www.eset.com/home/mobile-antivirus) now as well.
Edited2: guess I should check my price list -- its been listed on the bottom oops!:o

This ad is brought to you by the Norton Killer :lol:

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 10:44 PM
ok. im fine with MSE. goodbye avast

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Malwarebytes isn't Anti-Virus, that's potentially why it picked up something that Anti-Virus failed to.

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 10:57 PM
i know that but you guys say MSE is better than avast so i listened

wainuitech
15-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Malwarebytes isn't Anti-Virus, that's potentially why it picked up something that Anti-Virus failed to. Just to add to Chill's post.

You have one AV, and really need 2-3 good antispyware programs to cover the bases.

NO antivirus, no matter which one will detect everything - thats where software like Nortons that claims to cover it all is incorrect.

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 11:42 PM
i have MSE, malwarebytes and spybot

Renmoo
16-06-2010, 12:04 AM
i have MSE, malwarebytes and spybot
Okay, that's about enough.

goodiesguy
16-06-2010, 12:19 AM
i had avast 5 untill a few hours ago. i changed to MSE as it's worked wonders on my laptop

Cicero
16-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Is MSE as good as Nod 32?

KarameaDave
16-06-2010, 10:41 AM
No, but it is probably the best free option.

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2010, 11:12 AM
It's a close second, but NOD32 is *the* Anti-Virus application. Not so sure about the Anti-Spam / Firewall addons for NOD32, but in terms of AV it really takes the Gold!

KiwiTT_NZ
17-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Time to really flick AVAST this time.

Amazing results.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report26.pdf

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Ah excellent the PDF with all the findings, very good!

Interesting to see ... :D

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 07:26 PM
reading that, i'm happy i changed from Avast to MSE. can anyone convince my dad to change too? his excuse is he dosent know if its safe. should i show him the PDF. his pc has 1.2GB of ddr400 ram 2.4ghz cpu but the same speed as mine (sometimes slower). i need to clean it majorly

wainuitech
17-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Why not show him the pdf -- as you already mentioned your own PC speed up, after changing, so that alone should be a good indication.

Edited: its actually quite "funny" -- If someone had mentioned a year or so ago that Microsoft would make a AV that works better than some of the other "name Brand - Common " AV's they would have been laughed out of the place.:D

KarameaDave
17-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes, incredible really, but good on them.

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 09:55 PM
yeah. i'm still trying to comprehend that microsoft made something decent. and i was a huge Avast fan and loved it and it was the best. until i put MSE on my new laptop. that changed my opinion. it has little to no false positives. avast was always picking up false positives when i opened some files

CYaBro
17-06-2010, 10:13 PM
If anybody wants I can get 3 month trials of NOD32, just send me a PM :D