PDA

View Full Version : Removing HP notebook OEM software

nofam
15-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I've just got an HP ProBook 6540b in (nice machine actually!), and as usual, it's saddled with all the usual HP nonsense; is there an easy removal tool for all of this?

I've previously used PC Decrapifier, but it only found 3 things when I just ran it, whereas Revo lists around 20 HP apps I want to remove. . . . . .I'm just being lazy really, but doing it with Revo is a mind-numbing process. . . . :p

SolMiester
15-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Format, and install with DVD!...LOL

nofam
15-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Format, and install with DVD!...LOL

Problem is, the only install discs I have are the HP ones that came with it, so I'd end up back where I started. :D

SolMiester
15-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Ah yes, had a 3000 tower yesterday, with XP SP3 and 7 Enterprise recovery disks....though okay, format and 20 install...arhhhhhhhhhhh, 2 hours later, I had desktop....

PPp
15-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I use Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin in XP. Its a no hassle program! Check to see if there is a W7 version.

zqwerty
15-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Why not try using Autoruns to switch off what you don't want running:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Autoruns_d4686.html

pcuser42
16-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Problem is, the only install discs I have are the HP ones that came with it, so I'd end up back where I started. :D

You could borrow a Windows DVD. :)

sroby
16-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I have to agree, its getting beyond a joke the crap that HP, Tosh & others install. I have to spent up to 1/2 hour just to clean up this crap before I can pass these PC's/notebooks onto customers :illogical
They get paid to put some of this stuff in, Trialware, IE toolbars, HP phone home software(spyware ??)
Even uninstalling it sometimes wont completely remove it: eg the addons that will turn up in outlook.
Just why disable WZC (Win wifi tool) & force the use of the HP Tosh wifi tool that doesnt work as well, & is MUCH harder to figure out(& make it really hard to remove)
I guess its the marketing men having more say than the engineers

got .. to .. stop ..rant ..

Roger Hunt
16-06-2010, 12:34 PM
http://directedge.us/
Borrow a DVD run this program to save your activation code and certificate. run it again after to restore code and certificate and you will be sweet

pctek
16-06-2010, 01:15 PM
You could format, have all the drivers downloaded form the website and re-do it manually.

Or just go through Add/Remove the long slow way and remove them one by one.

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Dont buy Dell or HP, or Acer ever again. Then you wont have to get rid of the crap :devil:

Alex B
16-06-2010, 05:22 PM
What else would you use in a corp environment?

notechyet
16-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I would go for one of the better Toshiba or Asus.
It is a swear word here, even so, you may could try MacBookPro.

Nomad
16-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Thinkpads are the best IMO, so reliable, some may say they look like a black brick or a boring coporate look. Some have a carbon fiber / mag alloy / titanium shell for the screen :D Modular drive bays and consistent with their other models. Not the fastest or the cheapest then again that's not their target market.

You could format, reinstall windows and reinstall the drivers.

Corporates tend to do that anyway, some of them may buy a lappie with win7 and then reinstall winxp :thumbs:
with a t3g card or a XT / Voda stick :D

Alex B
16-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah maybe tosh, ASUS afaik have no overnight parts support and I don't think apple do either. Tosh are just as bad if not worse for filling their laptops with crap.

HP business machines are very reliable.

Alex B
16-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Thinkpads are the best IMO, so reliable, some may say they look like a black brick or a boring coporate look. Some have a carbon fiber / mag alloy / titanium shell for the screen :D Modular drive bays and consistent with their other models. Not the fastest or the cheapest then again that's not their target market.

You could format, reinstall windows and reinstall the drivers.

Corporates tend to do that anyway, some of them may buy a lappie with win7 and then reinstall winxp :thumbs:
with a t3g card or a XT / Voda stick :D

One of our largest clients has just signed a world wide agreement with Lenovo, users hate them, want their HP's back. Plus once again they come preloaded with crap. Plus the new HP elite books are brushed stainless look (oooh arrh)

Nomad
16-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Tosh, IBM and HP I have seen in corps (for lappies).
For PCs, they are Dell (by most), also Acer (apparently) and IBM.

AFAIK Asus has a reputation for motherboards in the consumer market, no idea what motherboards corporate PCs use thou, the few I have seen are Dell motherboards with maybe a Intel chipset. I have not seen ASUS lappies in a corp. Me thinks they might be reliable but they are more the consumer market. Me also think they are more a newcomer in the lappie market. Asus might be more powerful and reliable and more price conscious. Ie., the gamer.

Thinkpads I got parts delivered to me overnight and I am not a corp - it was my personal laptop - bought used from the USA with a international warranty. :thumbs:
I did wipe Win98se on it and use my own Windows 2000 and reinstall the drivers and taking care not to install the bloat. But that is kinda std. My next would love a Thinkpad X100 or X300.

Don't you like the slick "contemporary" black designs of Lenovo :p and likewise of Nokia.

Roger Hunt
16-06-2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68767-clean-install-upgrade-vista.html
This might help

Agent_24
17-06-2010, 01:58 AM
You need PC Decrapifier. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Gets rid of all those stupid resource-wasting-excuses-for-applications preinstalled by the morons at HP

sroby
17-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I would go for one of the better Toshiba or Asus.
It is a swear word here, even so, you may could try MacBookPro.

Tosh Tecra: still needs decrapyfying to some extent: so many Tosh utils loaded in & many running in background. Have to try decifer just what they do & if the device drivers are bound to these bits of software(on laptops)

And its on New corporate/business class PC/laptops that I see with all this crap- good way to alienate IT departments.
I guess thats why much lower spec generic PC's seem so much more responsive than the HP's etc. :badpc: :badpc: