PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a play with the latest VLC beta?

nofam
15-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I see it supports GPU acceleration? Sounds like (as usual), it works better with nVidia gear at this stage.

As an aside, I do wonder how much longer developers will worry about GPU offloading; CPU's are getting so powerful and cheap now, that I suspect even the basic Core i3 chips can easily play 1080p with plenty of headroom?

Using the GPU for transcoding would be nice, but certainly not essential.

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Mostly because of the speed of things, GPU's are dedicated to doing that type of work, and it really makes a noticeable difference with hardware acceleration when you're talking about mobile devices.

Then there's also the fact that it's faster to encode high definition video using the GPU rather than the CPU also. CPU's are never the limiting factor, GPU's are, regardless of if it's gaming, playback / decoding, or encoding of video, it's always faster with a better GPU. Of course you can't just whack the latest nVidia / ATi graphics cards in a 2Ghz Celeron and hope it'll work, there is some method to the madness, but by and large if everythings being offloaded to the GPU, then yes, the CPU is largely irrelevant.

Same for gaming, once you reach the dual-core 3Ghz mark, almost all games that are out will start to just require a faster GPU rather than the CPU needing upgrading. The CPU just handles the likes of the AI, decoding of sound files for playback whereas GPU handles rendering of video, smoothing of edges, textures... Everything the CPU does, is pretty much the same, regardless of the resolution that you run your display at.

In summary, hardware acceleration is all good :D

nofam
15-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Mostly because of the speed of things, GPU's are dedicated to doing that type of work, and it really makes a noticeable difference with hardware acceleration when you're talking about mobile devices.

Then there's also the fact that it's faster to encode high definition video using the GPU rather than the CPU also. CPU's are never the limiting factor, GPU's are, regardless of if it's gaming, playback / decoding, or encoding of video, it's always faster with a better GPU. Of course you can't just whack the latest nVidia / ATi graphics cards in a 2Ghz Celeron and hope it'll work, there is some method to the madness, but by and large if everythings being offloaded to the GPU, then yes, the CPU is largely irrelevant.

Same for gaming, once you reach the dual-core 3Ghz mark, almost all games that are out will start to just require a faster GPU rather than the CPU needing upgrading. The CPU just handles the likes of the AI, decoding of sound files for playback whereas GPU handles rendering of video, smoothing of edges, textures... Everything the CPU does, is pretty much the same, regardless of the resolution that you run your display at.

In summary, hardware acceleration is all good :D

Yeah, I guess my point is that even though GPU parallel computing will always be faster by its nature than a CPU can manage, does the end result (i.e. the gain in speed) justify the apparent difficulty in getting it to work?

Are there any benchmarks to show a top-of-the-line Core i7 vs a middle-of-the-road GPU in encoding to h.264 etc?

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 12:13 PM
You're presuming everybody has more than 2 cores in their CPU, and that they're running at decent clock speeds too ...

KarameaDave
15-06-2010, 12:15 PM
A side note, VLC are developing their own video editor.
Should be good.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/

nofam
15-06-2010, 12:23 PM
You're presuming everybody has more than 2 cores in their CPU, and that they're running at decent clock speeds too ...

For the enthusiasts that want the best of the best, absolutely; but as I suggested, even the lower end-users running an Arrandale chipset for example, would still be able to play/encode h.264 without too much trouble?

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 12:29 PM
So you've just answered your question:
Hardware acceleration is great for people with underpowered CPUs

KarameaDave
15-06-2010, 12:42 PM
It certainly is, I can watch freeview HD on a P4 2.93 GHz (not hyper-threader)
using an Nvidia 9400gt. Without the HW acceleration CPU maxes out and I get stuttering
video and frequent lockups, with acceleration CPU usage around 10% and smooth.

nedkelly
15-06-2010, 01:45 PM
hmm might try it out on my 3.0ghz P4 and ATI Radeon 9600

wratterus
15-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I will have to try this on my lappy - currently both cores of the dual core celeron are sitting around 70% when playing back a 720p vid. :punk

KarameaDave
15-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Of course, the GPU needs to be capable of HW acceleration, or
am I missing something here?

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 03:44 PM
http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_GPU_Decoding

http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/en/index.html#DXVAChecker

KarameaDave
15-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, cheers CS. :)

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Grabbed the latest 1.1.0 RC1, no additional tweaking needed and things ran much better. A 1080p "sample" I had would run at an average of 40 -> 60% CPU utilization on the older 1.0.5 release, whereas with the new 1.1.0 it wouldn't go over 40%.

Is this offloading everything to the GPU? Wouldn't have a freaking clue at this stage, but it certainly decodes the h.264 video a truckload better :D

KarameaDave
15-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice, I'll have to check it out at some stage!

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 04:53 PM
A side note, VLC are developing their own video editor.
Should be good.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/

thanks for the link. finally i decent, light weight, feature rich video editing software that can replace the slow, buggy, little to no features movie maker 2.1

VLMC is what i have been looking for to replace movie maker. it's perfect. i can't wait for it to at least be in Beta

R2x1
15-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Movie-maker is a long way from being ready for beta yet. (It has got to have a gastric bypass plus excommunication to get the ugly fat out.)

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 09:13 PM
lol

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Movie Maker isnt too bad in Win7. At least transferring from DV cam works, and it lets me edit vids / and it uses a timeline

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2010, 09:53 PM
At least it's not prone to constant crashing as the XP / Vista one was :D

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 09:56 PM
it crashes all the time in xp. thank god for videolan

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2010, 10:05 PM
The one I'm using I think is from Vista. Someone has just repackaged it and added the 32/64 installs to it. Its not live movie maker, its probably better than that hunk of junk

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 10:07 PM
is their a download link for it?

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Here (http://noeld.com/updates.asp)

goodiesguy
15-06-2010, 10:47 PM
thanks i'll favorite it for when i need it.