PDA

View Full Version : Integrated 3G in laptops

nzwaikato
13-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Kiaora,

Why do laptops in NZ not have the same 3G options that are offered in the US?

Case in point is Dell, I've been eyeing up the Alienware M11x, but only the US model as the built in 3G, tied into deals with Verizon and AT&T. Whats the restriction if the technology is readily avaliable (and has been for some time). Any ideas people?

8ftmetalhaed
13-06-2010, 11:45 PM
The monopolistic teleco's of new zealand limit what services and technology is available here. Also in the US, you'll find capless internet for pretty cheap, but you'll get no such luck here without selling your kidneys on a monthly basis.

Edit sorry that wasn't really very clear.
Because of the fact that we don't have a properly established infrastructure, while it might be available, it doesn't make it viable to put it on offer in the current market. Once telecom is dead and gone and we get a load more providers offering better deals (ie by the time america has free fibre optics and time travel), we'll be able to get new services like this.

goodiesguy
13-06-2010, 11:58 PM
thats why im moving country when im older

GameJunkie
14-06-2010, 12:10 AM
thats why im moving country when im older

good for you.....

goodiesguy
14-06-2010, 12:33 AM
well i want cheap uncapped high speed internet

gary67
14-06-2010, 07:42 AM
If that's your only motivation for moving you need to get outside ditch the computer and get a real life

Nomad
14-06-2010, 08:53 AM
lol - talk about dependent on the net.

i say look at the other aspects. living cost. welfare (if any) but then again larger cities in the world can be heads above nz if you are looking for a large city lifestyle. then again there are people from larger cities that prefer NZ. imo you gain if you work hard at it, if you wanna be a potato, it's easier in NZ fwiw.

The Error Guy
14-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Go fly for aeroflot. if you don't kill yourself doing that then you should be able to afford some form of quality internet from your wages

SolMiester
14-06-2010, 09:18 AM
well i want cheap uncapped high speed internet

Something to look forward to in adulthood....LOL

GameJunkie
14-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Something to look forward to in adulthood....LOL

It's for the HD pr0n :lol:

maccrazy
14-06-2010, 10:52 AM
The monopolistic teleco's of new zealand limit what services and technology is available here. Also in the US, you'll find capless internet for pretty cheap, but you'll get no such luck here without selling your kidneys on a monthly basis.Providers is the US are starting to impose limits on mobile data plans. Anything "unlimited" or "uncapped" is unsustainable, not to mention the fact that all it does is result in a lesser quality service for the majority of normal users.

nmercer
14-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Kiaora,

Why do laptops in NZ not have the same 3G options that are offered in the US?

Case in point is Dell, I've been eyeing up the Alienware M11x, but only the US model as the built in 3G, tied into deals with Verizon and AT&T. Whats the restriction if the technology is readily avaliable (and has been for some time). Any ideas people?

its simple, we are a tiny market and it costs the OEMs and distributors a lot of money to carry all the models and options like they are available in the US

so they simplified the SKUs that they carry so they can optimise their profits

paulw
14-06-2010, 08:22 PM
its simple, we are a tiny market and it costs the OEMs and distributors a lot of money to carry all the models and options like they are available in the US

so they simplified the SKUs that they carry so they can optimise their profits

If it's WCDMA 3G then it should only be a case of putting in your SIM and setting up your carrier. It's just software like on a mobile providing that they use a quad band chipset..

HHGTTG
14-06-2010, 09:04 PM
If that's your only motivation for moving you need to get outside ditch the computer and get a real life

My thoughts entirely. A lot of us would like to, if we had the guts, to up stakes in the UK and move to a country perhaps 30/40 years slightly behind the times such as NZ and not judge a country just by its Internet access.
In the UK we're apparently behing the times Internet-wise compared with certain countries in Asia.
Believe it or not, I am still on dial-up here although am thinking on taking up our BTs Broadband offer and free 7 day phone calls, as they are now offering the first 3 months free and then 26/mth after that (after a recent reduction of 5/mth).

You can buy an Internet only device, here, for surfing the internet using 3g. I believe it's called a Datawind Surfer and is often featured on our TV Shopping channels.