PDA

View Full Version : Freeview Question

JohnnyR
12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I've just installed Freeview. Previously I had a DVD and a VCR recorder tuned into the aerial so I could record on one channel and watch another.

I can't figure out how to do this with Freeview as the units aren't tuned to the satellite.
Is it possible to record a channel and watch another with Freeview or can I only record the channel I am watching?

Thanks

JR

gary67
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
If you can access channels from both the dish and aerial separately then you can record a freeview channel on the dish and watch another channel through the aerial

GoodHour
13-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Why can you no longer record with your VCR? Did you unplug it from the aerial?

Rod J
13-06-2010, 12:22 AM
It depends on your set top box. Most STB's have a single tuner in them, so you can only watch/record a single channel I think. PVR units have twin tuners in them that let you record two channels and watch a third. Although, I don't know how that works because you would think three tuners would be required in that case.

goodiesguy
13-06-2010, 12:34 AM
yeah, i thought you'd need 3 tuners for that. anyways why can't you use your vcr. good hi fi vcr's produce good results

ubergeek85
13-06-2010, 01:01 AM
It depends on your set top box. Most STB's have a single tuner in them, so you can only watch/record a single channel I think. PVR units have twin tuners in them that let you record two channels and watch a third. Although, I don't know how that works because you would think three tuners would be required in that case.

I know that MySky has four tuners in it (two for recording, one for live, and one for EPG data, OnDemand movies, and can sometimes be 'borrowed' for a few minutes to record if it runs out of tuners without technically conflicting [it likes to record three minutes either side]). As for other PVRs, I'm not sure, although I know that on at least one DVB-T box, with some software tricks, it's possible to record one channel and watch a second, so long as both channels are on the same mux.

maccrazy
13-06-2010, 01:48 PM

You can only watch a third if it is on the same frequency as one of the stations you are recording. ie. two tuners means you can tune into two frequencies. For New Zealand, this covers most combinations so users won't really have to think about it. :)

JohnnyR
13-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody.

Both DVD and VCR work fine. The option of keeping the aerial for recording is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. JR