PDA

View Full Version : Lost distribution list in Outlook 2007

R.M.
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I use Outlook 2007 for organising my emails, including a 'Distribution List' of club members. Today I tried to delete 'just one member' from the list, and to my horror, found that the whole Distribution List had gone! Oh horrors.:( I got no warnings at all of the impending disaster/action.

However, I was able to go back to the last newsletter I sent out at the end of last month and retrieve the names (and email addys).

Is there a quicker way to do this? Is there something else I should be doing?

ronyville
12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
did you check the deleted items folder? normally everything you delete sits in there. I have accidentally deleted contacts in the past and was able to get them back from the deleted items folder.

R.M.
12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
No - it's not there...:badpc:

gary67
12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
save a copy of your contacts folder. In outlook go file import export choose export to a file choose (I use CSV an excel type) then choose contacts this should save a copy of your contacts in an excel spreadsheet

R.M.
12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, that is a useful thought/suggestion. But - I don't think it should be quite so easy to lose something in cyberspace! I'm reasonably meticulous, but the speed with the disappearance of all that work...:annoyed:

I've had my rant now.:crying :)

Sweep
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes, that is a useful thought/suggestion. But - I don't think it should be quite so easy to lose something in cyberspace! I'm reasonably meticulous, but the speed with the disappearance of all that work...:annoyed:

I've had my rant now.:crying :)

I replicated your problem and found the distribution list in my deleted items.

I bckup my *.pst file on a daily basis. That file contains the address book so if you have a backup you could just import contacts back into Outlook.

Have a look here so you can do it for the future.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782

R.M.
12-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for that, Sweep. I'll look at it more carefully tomorrow. :) I do have backups, but probably not as often as I should... :(

Perhaps you have to look at it before you close Outlook - I went back to the Deleted Items later (hadn't shut the 'puter down though), but after I had closed and reopened Outlook. And no, it wasn't there. Bother!

Sweep
12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
If you go to Tools > Options > Other is the empty deleted items on exit ticked? If so then that will be why you can't find the list in deleted items since you closed Outlook.

gary67
12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I too back up my pst file daily but I also do the export contacts at least once a month as well into my docs which then gets backed up daily over my network so that I always have 3 versions.

One from my daily incremental image one pst backup and one contacts backup