PDA

View Full Version : computer not booting properly

lakewoodlady
11-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi, someone has asked me to look at her computer for her because it won't start up properly. She says a light comes on, but she gets "No signal input" on monitor.

Just wondered what I should look for? She is not computer literate in any way. She is going to drop it around to me on Tuesday next week. Hopefully it won't be a hardware prob, and if it is she'll have to take it to a tech.

Cheers, LL

Sweep
11-06-2010, 05:04 PM
If a desktop check the VGA cable is plugged in.

lakewoodlady
11-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks Sweep, will do.

LL

Sweep
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Also does it give a single beep when powered up?

lakewoodlady
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I asked and she said she didn't notice whether it did or not. As I said, she is going to bring it around to my place on Tuesday and I'll have a look.

LL

wainuitech
11-06-2010, 05:44 PM
The No signal input message means the signal from the PC to the Monitor is not getting there, in other words the Monitor can not detect the PC.

It can mean either a fault in the cable, or faulty graphic connector on the Mother board (if onboard Graphics) or a faulty graphic card OR even a faulty monitor.

First check with a known good working monitor, if no change then its the PC someplace.

If the PC has a graphic card, then remove it, blow out the crap, and reseat it.

Generally if message still appears, its a hardware problem, as the PC has not even been turned on yet.

IF the PC turns on, then the message appears, that can also be either hardware or software.

pctek
11-06-2010, 06:04 PM
It can mean either a fault in the cable, or faulty graphic connector on the Mother board (if onboard Graphics) or a faulty graphic card OR even a faulty monitor.

If the PC has a graphic card, then remove it, blow out the crap, and reseat it.

Generally if message still appears, its a hardware problem, as the PC has not even been turned on yet.

I'd say not the monitor.
And yes, likely to be hardware, graphics, which if inbuilt you can add a graphics card, so long as it has the slot for it, otherwise it's doom.

lakewoodlady
11-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Ok, here is the story. The lady said she bought the computer off a guy who gets computers and "reconditions" them, about 4 months ago.
It started to play up just over a week ago and she thought it was her old "tv screen thing" (monitor) lol, that came with it, so she bought a new one. It still wouldn't work she said because no pictures or anything appeared. That is exactly how she described it to me. However she does know that it has Vista something on it.
I told her to take it back to the guy who sold it and she didn't want to because there wasn't a warranty with it, and that he might charge her to fix it. (Cowboy I suspect)

Thanks Wainuitech for the advice and I will do try what you have suggested. I get the feeling that it was a lemon to begin with, and still might be one.

LL

Erayd
11-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Also, if it's a multi-input monitor (e.g. DVI/VGA) make sure it's set to auto, or the correct input is selected.

lakewoodlady
11-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Also, if it's a multi-input monitor (e.g. DVI/VGA) make sure it's set to auto, or the correct input is selected.

I get the feeling it is NOT the monitor. If you read the previous posts.

LL

Erayd
11-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I get the feeling it is NOT the monitor. If you read the previous posts.

LLYup - having read your last post, I agree with you. Unfortunately we posted at the same time, and I hadn't yet read it when I suggested checking the monitor.

The fact that two different monitors have the same issue does indeed suggest that it's not the monitor at fault.

hammer
11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
i am having the same problem with a pc runing xp. fires up and has shown on monitor twice since problem began. but now no input signal..
have changed the vga cable to one that is working on another pc. have changed the graphics card to one that was also working when it came out. have changed the battery.

presuming it is in the motherboard somewhere. the lock caps light doesnt light up when i tweak it when the pc appears to be running.

where should i look next?

wainuitech
11-06-2010, 09:38 PM
The lady said she bought the computer off a guy who gets computers and "reconditions" them, about 4 months ago. Thats the problem with second hand computers. Most will only come with a 30 warranty (if any), considering the big manufactures only put on a 1 year.

The original parts may have a longer warranty from the Maunfactures.

For example good manufactures put on three year warranties on Mother boards. So if the second hand PC is already 4-5 years old its already out of the manufactures warranty, and likely to fail sooner than later.

I have seen many people who say they have a new PC, and its playing up. When you actually see it, the PC is actually older than 5 years, but its new to them. They seem to forget, buying cheap second hand, can sometimes mean you are buying a PC thats already way past its "use by date", and ready to fail.

KarameaDave
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Like a worn out Austin Cambridge. :D

Agent_24
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Could just be a flat BIOS battery, that can cause a problem sometimes.

wainuitech
11-06-2010, 10:10 PM
i am having the same problem with a pc runing xp. fires up and has shown on monitor twice since problem began. but now no input signal..
have changed the vga cable to one that is working on another pc. have changed the graphics card to one that was also working when it came out. have changed the battery.

presuming it is in the motherboard somewhere. the lock caps light doesnt light up when i tweak it when the pc appears to be running.

where should i look next? This is not conclusive, but make sure there is some sort of speaker attached , either in the case or built onto the board.

Remove the RAM, start the PC. It should beep with errors meaning no RAM.

If it doesn't beep, look at the board, there may be either a jumper to reset the BIOS/CMOS.

If its still not going afte doing a reset, chances are its dead.

All it takes is one power surge and poof -- the board can be damaged.

Edited:

Could just be a flat BIOS battery, that can cause a problem sometimes Read the post Agent :p The battery was changed. Also with no lights on the keyboard its not looking to good.

Agent_24
11-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Edited:

Read the post Agent :p The battery was changed. Also with no lights on the keyboard its not looking to good.

Where? I was referring to Lakewoodlady's posts, not Hammer's post which seems to be a thread hijack...

Hammer: Start your own thread!

wainuitech
11-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Where? I was referring to Lakewoodlady's posts, not Hammer's post which seems to be a thread hijack...

Hammer: Start your own thread! There was a cross over in times posted.

BUT even so, never seen a battery display a no display error. Even when a PC is turned off with no battery the monitor can still detect if something is connected.

hammer
11-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Hammer: Start your own thread!

apologies.. wasnt thinking.:waughh:

Agent_24
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
apologies.. wasnt thinking.:waughh:

No worries, it's just that you're more likely to get help if you make your own post, I'm sure you know that though.
Because if you hide your post inside someone else's thread a lot of people won't see it...

There was a cross over in times posted.

BUT even so, never seen a battery display a no display error. Even when a PC is turned off with no battery the monitor can still detect if something is connected.

I agree, normally the monitor should just go into standby but it depends on the monitor.

I've got a 17" CRT "Aegis" monitor (actually KTC) which will display a "no input" messge even when Windows tells it to go into standby which on every other monitor I have results in the monitor going into standby without displaying the "no input" message.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 09:54 AM
what i do is try your good screen on it ..

then maybe if you really wanna, try your video card in their machine...

try your good vga cable if you have one lying around .... assuming you gone to hdmi / dvi.

lakewoodlady
12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
what i do is try your good screen on it ..

then maybe if you really wanna, try your video card in their machine...

try your good vga cable if you have one lying around .... assuming you gone to hdmi / dvi.

Nomad,
Is this referring to my friend's problem or Hammer's one?

LL

Nomad
12-06-2010, 05:34 PM
LL, your one :)

I read that Hammer has already changed the cable and vga card ...
Hammer while you at it, tried a working monitor on it?

if so somethings buggered imo.
strip all the drives off incl all the hdd dvd floppy etc.
is it the ram or motherboard imo ... :2cents:

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I am bumping this one back as it is still relevant.

Ok, Friend finally dropped computer round for me to look at. She got some one else to look at it last week and it cost her $80. They got it going and said if it failed again it means a new hard drive is needed. Well, it failed three days later.

It seems to boot ok into the errors screen, the one where you can choose start up options by using arrow keys, only trouble is the arrows are not working and no lights show up on keyboard and so the only choice is "Start Windows Normally".

It starts to load windows but after about 2-3 seconds monitor flashes briefly and then goes to "No Signal Input"

Windows XP Home don't know if its got any SPs or not. Lady didn't say.
512mb RAM
Geforce something stand alone graphics
Seagate HDD don't know how big

Thats about all I can tell at the moment.

So, is it the HDD?

LL :confused:

Nomad
18-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think it is the HDD, the keyboard should not flash like that and the keyb should still work. The no input signal ... not HDD either.

I would just pull the HDD out and let it power up for an hour or so, maybe boot with a DVD/CD, maybe play some DOS games while at it :p

You could try your keyboard LL. See if that fixes it. Try a different USB port perhaps.
You think you could just put in your video card if you are really nice :D doesn't need drivers just a boot up.
If I am pushy, I think it is the motherboard or the CPU.

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 08:31 PM
The keyboard doesn't flash, the screen flashes briefly, but then it doesn't load windows and reverts to the black with white text on.

Could you be a little clearer on how I power up the HDD after I pull it out? Also how do I boot with a cd/dvd if the Hdd is not connected?

LL

Nomad
18-06-2010, 08:31 PM
When it says no signal does the screen come back? In otherwords is it temporarily? In my experience that can sometimes be due to incompatibility. If it is just a temporary ignore that.

I had all new parts when I got my first own PC, I had laptops before, the GeForce just didn't stop disconnecting and reconnecting until I got an ATI.

Nomad
18-06-2010, 08:33 PM
The keyboard doesn't flash, the screen flashes briefly, but then it doesn't load windows and reverts to the black with white text on.

Could you be a little clearer on how I power up the HDD after I pull it out? Also how do I boot with a cd/dvd if the Hdd is not connected?

LL

The HDD should not affect it. Open the case and pull the two cables off the HDD. Just turn on the computer. Does it have a DVD or CD ROM? Put in a bootable disk, like your own Windows even. See if you get the same issues. :)

If the Windows does not load and gets to that b/w screen - that is fine. Could just be a mucked up Windows hard drive. A reinstall might fix that.

The computer works without the HDD. You could just have a floppy drive and boot up in DOS and play Sim City :)

PS. I meant pull the HD out and power up the system :blush:

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes it trys to boot up but just goes round in circles. When I power it on, it just goes straight to the B/W screen and there is no choice other than Start Normally.

I don't have any bootable windows cd. I don't think the lady has either. I only have my system disc which I created from my Acer Recovery program. (VISTA) I doubt if that would work.

The floppy drive is non operational. :groan:

LL

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Whats the brand/model?? Is it dell, hp, acer? Is the geforce onboard or another videocard?? Because this prob youre seeing can happen if its got onboard (and youre using another card), and the onboard hasnt been disabled. And the onboard video (if its got one) is set as the primary video in the BIOS

Nomad
18-06-2010, 09:18 PM
provided speedy's post is sussed out, it's either one or the other.

if still...
i would: 1) try a USB keyboard on it, use a diff port if it is currently using one.

you could use the Acer CD. you are not getting it to load anything, you just want it to boot up, alternatively you can get Windows (your one) and make a bootable CD.

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 09:22 PM
On the front of the case it has an AMD, Athlon sticker. I have the side of the case off. I think there is a separate graphics card. The VGA cable from the monitor plugs into the blue port on the back and seems to correspond with the card ok.
I will try to find the set up for the graphics in the BIOS.

LL

Nomad
18-06-2010, 09:24 PM
so it has a builtin graphics too on the motherboard? :)

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Hmm could be this AMD - XP SP3 prob. When it shows this black screen is it rebooting continuously??

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I changed a setting in the BIOS to keep VGA "Always on" and now the arrow keys work. I tried all the safe mode options but it still cuts off immediately after posting the Win XP loading screen.

LL

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Yep, reboots continuously, goes round in circles.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Rightio now we're getting somewhere. It does sound like it has something to do with XP SP3. Press F8, after you reboot. Select the disable restart option if its there. Next time it reboots, does it bluescreen?

goodiesguy
18-06-2010, 09:57 PM
check the RAM. my 512mb stick was preventing my pc from booting and would restart before the xp splash screen would show. my 512mb stick had physical damage that i did not notice. my uncle said it has lifted from old age or something. a bit of it was literally just silver.

now that i have 2x 256mb sticks (uncle looking out 4 a free 512mb stick 4 me, yay!) my computer never misses a beat. i can play GTA with no problems i can edit music without my pc crapping out. its all good.

so check the RAM. even a little damage can stop a PC ( i did'nt even know of the damage)

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 09:57 PM
There is no Restart option, and yes it bluescreens just for a moment before it starts all over again.

LL

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, yeah could be RAM but didn't want to take it out if I could help it pretty awkward to get at. And if I did get it out to look at, Not sure what to look for. There was one card of 128 MB and she had another stick matching put in not long ago.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Is there a disable auto-restart option when you press F8?? If its there select it

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Is there a way to disable Restart in the BIOS?

LL

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 10:33 PM
No it should be in the menu, when you press F8 (disable auto-restart), or something

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 10:41 PM
No, there is no disable auto restart option in F8.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 10:50 PM
So, you dont see this menu, or the 9th option?? Disable automatic restart? This is after you reboot then press/hold F8 down

Agent_24
18-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, yeah could be RAM but didn't want to take it out if I could help it pretty awkward to get at. And if I did get it out to look at, Not sure what to look for.

You don't need to take it out or look at it. You can just run Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Run at least an hour, if any errors show up then you'll have to start swapping RAM.

If not, move on to checking the hard drive. I recommend HDAT2. http://www.hdat2.com/ Check the SMART status of the drive, if anything shows up as errors, post them here.

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Ah ha, just found it by pressing F8 continuously! Thought I was before, but obviously not enough. Now there appears a BOSD.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Whats the stop error? It'll be 0xxxxxxxxx. Does it show the name of a file? Since you've found it now, does safe mode work?

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Speedy, I restarted it as suggested, but selecting Disable auto restart has not made any difference and it is still going round in circles is there anything else I could select from that menu which might help?

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:04 PM
The stop error is 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF896D6D4,0xF896D3D0,0xF83F0F73)

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:15 PM
No file listed on the BSOD.
Have tried all options in advanced start up in F8, still no luck, What else to try I wonder?

Nomad
18-06-2010, 11:15 PM
The stop error is 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF896D6D4,0xF896D3D0,0xF83F0F73)

:waughh: Maybe that's why companies and some people use images. It takes shorter time to reload the image than to troubleshoot it.

My way and it's not the best, copy the files out of it, after pluggint it into your machine and then wipe it. But then again the person may not have their OS on disc.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 11:20 PM
This is for 2000 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228888) but it probably applies to XP too. Since you dont have an XP CD, the only way you maybe able to fix it, is to remove the hdd and put it in another system, then scan it for errors. If that doesnt fix it, the hdd will have to be replaced / or you'll have to reinstall windows somehow

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Nomad,
The person does not have the OS on disc. It was a second hand one and no cd with it.
As for plugging in to my computer, well its actually my son's gaming computer. so don't want to mess with it. I have a macbook so can't do that either.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 11:33 PM
There's not much you can do then. Since you cant put it in another system, and there's no XP cd. Are there any windows cd/s there?

Nomad
18-06-2010, 11:37 PM
IMO that Windows needs reinstalling regardless.

You could make a bootable CD using the Seagate's website. They probably have a tool to create a bootable check HDD CD thingy.

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok Speedy, Might have to just give it back to her unfixed, I,ll think about those other options in the weekend.Taking Hdd out and check for errors on another computer. I have a neighbour with XP on He might loan me his OS cd so I can reinstall. Would that work?

LL

Agent_24
18-06-2010, 11:40 PM
You most likely have filesystem damage if you get that error.

The PC shop recommended the HDD be replaced if the problem keeps happening

Most likely the drive has reallocated sectors and more are failing. You can verify this by running any program which can read SMART data from the drive (HDAT2 is good) http://www.hdat2.com/ just download, put on floppy or CD etc, and boot from it.

If the drive has reallocated sectors, backup\image everything and then get a new drive.

You'll probably have to deal with reinstalling Windows in any case, unless you can clone the drive and then fix whatever is wrong with the filesystem.

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I have the system recovery DVD that I made with the Acer recovery program on son's machine, but it is VISTA. Also I believe that it won't work on another computer.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2010, 11:45 PM
If you reinstall XP you'll need the key as well. If youre on broadband, I could make an ISO of XP Home, and send it to you over the net somehow. BUT, you'll still need the key to reinstall it, and a burner / a blank CD to burn it to. Nope the recovery DVD will only work on that PC

lakewoodlady
18-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Agent 24,
Is it the first one listed under Single Programs?

Nomad
18-06-2010, 11:52 PM
If you wanna less hassle way, you could use your son's PC or even the mac to burn a ISO if the Seagate supports such a thing. Use that test the HDD first. Because if it is a fail there is no point using the Windows CD until you get a new HDD.

Could just need a format who knows ...
My dead HDDs has been rustic chatty sounds of the HDD :lol: or spins up now and not next ...

Nomad
18-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Agent 24,
Is it the first one listed under Single Programs?

I might be inclined to get the 4MB CD ISO version because you need to make a bootable CD.
And the Mac should be able to burn the ISO, no need to go near the son's PC :p

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Speedy,
Thanks for the offer, but will see how I get on over the weekend.
Thanks to all who have given advice tonight! What a great bunch you all are!

LL

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Sweet. Well let me know if you want one. I'll even slipstream the updates. So, after you install it it'll be up to date as of this mth. Altho it'll be smaller (I remove paint, the games, windows messenger, all languages except English, netmeeting, cd player and sound recorder, pinball, and tour. And tweak the desktop settings using Nlite)

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Nomad, don't worry about sons machine I am the one who keeps it running like clockwork, just didn't want to mess inside the case as warranty will be void then if anything goes wrong. he hasn't had it long.

LL

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 12:09 AM
I am off to bed now, my brain is tired!

Nite all!

LL

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi I'm back again.
Could someone please clarify this for me. I have downloaded the HDAt2 from the site given by Agent24, and chose the 3.95MB one recommended by Nomad. How exactly do I run the files on it? I have extracted them from the RAR to the cd. Do I leave the HDD connected while doing this?

Cheers LL

Nomad
19-06-2010, 12:51 PM
you don't need to extract the files.
not sure on the Mac, but you needa burn the ISO onto a CD - therefore it becomes bootable.

In windows I use Active ISO.

does the CD boot?
Yep just leave the HD connected.

PS. I been here since 8am and working on this Word excercise, stupid 2007 :annoyed:

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi Nomad,
Yes I have the boot files on the cd and when I put it in it comes to a black screen with white text, right at the bottom it says "Boot from cd?" The cursor is flashing and it wants a command of some sort. Dont know what to type.
Also I had to change the setting in the BIOS for SMART Capability to Enable. Of course that may still not work.

LL

Nomad
19-06-2010, 01:08 PM
on my windoze cd when it says that i just press enter and it boots on the CD.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Tried that, it does nothing.

LL

I did make the cd on the windows machine and it was successful.

Sweep
19-06-2010, 01:11 PM
You need to get into the BIOS and set it so boot from CD is the first option.

Don't type anything just press the enter key. If the CD is bootable it should boot.

So what did you use to burn the ISO? You should not have needed to extract the files.

You could try typing "Yes" as it's asking a question I suppose.

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Did you burn the ISO to cd with a program?? You dont copy the ISO as is to the cd. It wont work

Sweep
19-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Here's a good Program to burn ISOs:-

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

HTH.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Ok, yes I used the windows cd burning program, when I went to save the files to the cd it came up automatically so i just let it do its thing. When it finished the logo on the drive changed to what looked like cogs with the word Boot on.

Yes I have set it in the BIOS first boot cd rom

LL

Agent_24
19-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Ok, yes I used the windows cd burning program, when I went to save the files to the cd it came up automatically so i just let it do its thing. When it finished the logo on the drive changed to what looked like cogs with the word Boot on.

Yes I have set it in the BIOS first boot cd rom

LL

If you explore the contents of the CD that you burnt, what file(s) are on it?

Sweep
19-06-2010, 01:32 PM
So I beleive the CD is not, in fact bootable then.

Install IMG Burn. Then Burn the ISO using that.

Sweep
19-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Just downloaded HDAT2 and booted off it. Choose option 4 "Load all drivers". I had to plug in a PS2 keyboard so I could type commands so I guess there is no USB Keyboard support in spite of the fact that I have legacy USB enabled in the BIOS.

Agent_24
19-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Just to note the CD version comes with 2 versions, the older program which is in (IIRC) X:\hdat2\v453\hdat2.exe - this is the one to use.

The new 4.7.1 version will run but only in demo mode so does not actually do anything.

I don't think you need to load all drivers unless you have USB\SCSI etc connected drives

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Sweep, I only have a usb keyboard so it may not work anyway. But will try it.

I downloaded Imgburn and installed it. When I went to choose file to burn from the Downloads folder, the RAR file didn't show anywhere as an option. So am I meant to extract files from it and then choose which ones to burn?

LL

LL

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Extract the rar file. If its got the ISO in it, thats what you burn in Imgburn

Sweep
19-06-2010, 02:48 PM
The ISO is indeed within the RAR. Extract the ISO then double click same which will open IMGBurn.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Right, I think I got the correct one this hopefully. I will now try once again, and am crossing fingers and toes and all. Might even have to sacrifice burnt offering to god of computers.

LL

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 03:29 PM
No luck there, the screen didn't even stop at the Boot from cd option this time.

LL

Sweep
19-06-2010, 03:41 PM
So what happened this time?

You should have a bootable CD of 8.93 Meg.

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2010, 03:45 PM
WHAT kind of CD did you burn it to?? CDR or CDRW?

Nomad
19-06-2010, 03:57 PM
you might want to consider Seagate's file.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Get the DOS version and then the CD version. Cos you don't have a working floppy drive. Again, you need to burn the ISO.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Speedy, it is a CDRW.

Nomad, I will have a look at the Seagate one a bit later, I have to go out for a little while now.

Thanks to all of you LL

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2010, 04:08 PM
That maybe why, (CDRW's dont always boot, and cd's are usually finalised, which probably wont happen with CDRW's), use a CDR or extract the ISO to a flash drive. Thats if the ISO has boot files in it

Sweep
19-06-2010, 04:18 PM
As Nomad said it may be a better option to get the Seagate ISO as you have a Seagate drive and the drive or file system is suspect. If the drive passes the advanced tests in Seagate diags then it probably just needs a Windows reinstall. If the drive does not pass then a new hard drive and a reinstall s needed.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 04:44 PM
That maybe why, (CDRW's dont always boot, and cd's are usually finalised, which probably wont happen with CDRW's), use a CDR or extract the ISO to a flash drive. Thats if the ISO has boot files in it

The first cd I tried on it was a cdr 52x and on the drive it says 48x so I guess that was why that one was no good.

Will it boot from a flash drive? How can I tell if the ISO has boot files in it?

LL

Sweep
19-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Plug a USB stick into a port and then check the BIOS boot order to see if the USB stick shows as an option. When you burn using IMG Burn there is an option to burn at 4x so use that to avoid coasters.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Will try that now

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Nope that didn't work either.

Sweep
19-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Have you tried getting an ISO of the Seagate software yet and burning to CDR? Also making a bootable USB stick is not a trivial exercise but can be done.

Nomad
19-06-2010, 05:28 PM
i think maybe give usb stick a rest to keep it simple. i am just trying to do that for the first time.

it looks like the old days are maybe getting harder to recall, windows from winME prevent one using "format g:/s" and say to use windows to make a start up (repair) disk instead :p and it only give you the option of the optical drive.

ms might need to get on with the times, some computers may not even have a optical drive.

i found guides how to convert a windows dvd onto usb thou.
certainly ways to hack it thru thou ;D

these days at least to me, gone are the dos bootdisks and play the dos games but just simply windows boot and then maybe a boot image or a boot repair thingy.
well there is also linux.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I have been hunting everywhere for a suitable cdr and cannot find one, and I went to the Seagate site and had no idea of exactly where to download the ISO file.

Will have to go buy a cdr that has a slower write speed than 48x if I can't find one here. Its a bummer being stuck here, son is away with my car at present at a band jam. I am going out now to get my lotto at the dairy. (walk 10 mins)

LL :groan:

Nomad
19-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I have been hunting everywhere for a suitable cdr and cannot find one, and I went to the Seagate site and had no idea of exactly where to download the ISO file.

Will have to go buy a cdr that has a slower write speed than 48x if I can't find one here. Its a bummer being stuck here, son is away with my car at present at a band jam. I am going out now to get my lotto at the dairy. (walk 10 mins)

here is the direct link to the ISO
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS220ALL.576.ISO

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/seatooldreg

i don't think the diff CDs would make a diff. many of the newer dvd writers like 2004+ has coaster prevention. i've used warehouses cdr and they have been fine at full speed.

Nomad
19-06-2010, 05:48 PM
i a bit of a newbie when it comes to encoding and iso stuff. this is suggested by Microsoft and it just worked. for burning iso.
i get access to some free software from the course i am doing :)

http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

i am pretty much a cruiser. turn it on and it works, lol. when work is done, turn it off and go to bed. let the addicts supp up their puters' ;)

Roger Hunt
19-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I have a XP cd with sp4 and a key you can have if you get stuck

Agent_24
19-06-2010, 06:07 PM

CD-RW behave exactly the same as CD-R except you can rewrite them. They still get finalized just like CD-R (you can also make unfinalized and multisession CD-R if you so wish)

I use CD-RW all the time for bootable CD, it will not cause a problem unless the disc or drive is faulty.

The first cd I tried on it was a cdr 52x and on the drive it says 48x so I guess that was why that one was no good.

Will it boot from a flash drive? How can I tell if the ISO has boot files in it?

LL

The speed of the disc or drive does not matter. You do not have to match the speeds. A 52x disc means it can be burnt at speeds up to 52x, and a 48x drive means it can read at speeds up to 48x. In the same way, you do not have to buy a car which can only go at 100Km/hr just because the speed limit sign said 100Km/hr

You can however get problems if you try to burn a high-speed (12x) or ultra-speed (24x) CD-RW in a drive which only supports say 4x speed.

Any CD-R will do. (So *should* any CD-RW for that matter)

1) Download the ISO image RAR file.
2) Open the RAR file. Inside is a .ISO file
3) Extract that file to your desktop for example
4) Open Imgburn and choose "write image" option
5) Open the ISO file in Imgburn and tell it to write to the CD

If that still confuses you:
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

Tells you exactly what to do, with screenshots.

If it still doesn't work when you follow that exactly then something may be wrong with the drive\configuration of the BIOS

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2010, 06:28 PM
XP doesnt have SP4 Roger. Its only up to SP3

wainuitech
19-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Theres an even easier ISO burner thats free, it was mentioned earlier on Active @ ISO burner (http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm) real easy to use.

Install the program, make sure there is a blank CD or DVD ( depending on the size required) Right click the ISO Image, select Burn ISO File (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ISO1276925304.jpg) -- the Burner starts up (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Burner.jpg) and does the rest, when its finished it spits out the cd.

Roger Hunt
19-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh, well that's the one. I've got the latest must be sp3 then its XP Pro with all service packs and a key
Just looked yes its sp3

Nomad
19-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Theres an even easier ISO burner thats free, it was mentioned earlier on Active @ ISO burner (http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm) real easy to use.

Install the program, make sure there is a blank CD or DVD ( depending on the size required) Right click the ISO Image, select Burn ISO File (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ISO1276925304.jpg) -- the Burner starts up (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Burner.jpg) and does the rest, when its finished it spits out the cd.

It works for me, double click the iso file downloaded and it opens up and just click the "burn" button :D
It even selects your DVD Writer for you.

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 08:23 PM
I have a XP cd with sp4 and a key you can have if you get stuck

Thanks for the offer Roger. Yes I realize you must have made a mistake with the SP. I would need WinXP Professional by the way.

LL

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 08:32 PM
here is the direct link to the ISO
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS220ALL.576.ISO

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/seatooldreg

i don't think the diff CDs would make a diff. many of the newer dvd writers like 2004+ has coaster prevention. i've used warehouses cdr and they have been fine at full speed.

Thanks for the link Nomad, will give it a try tomorrow!

Cheers LL :punk

lakewoodlady
19-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks for that Wainuitech!

Cheers LL

wainuitech
19-06-2010, 08:52 PM
It works for me, double click the iso file downloaded and it opens up and just click the "burn" button :D
It even selects your DVD Writer for you.:thumbs:

Roger Hunt
19-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Roger. Yes I realize you must have made a mistake with the SP. I would need WinXP Professional by the way.

LLThat's what it is XP PRO SP3

lakewoodlady
20-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Roger, Thanks for offer, will let you know.

LL Cheers

lakewoodlady
20-06-2010, 01:19 PM
W00t! Seatools is now testing the drive! So far it has passed the Short test. Now doing Long test.

LL :clap

Sweep
20-06-2010, 01:33 PM
If it passes the long test it may be worth taking up the offer from Roger and do a reinstall then.

lakewoodlady
20-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I pm'd you

Agent_24
20-06-2010, 02:06 PM
W00t! Seatools is now testing the drive! So far it has passed the Short test. Now doing Long test.

LL :clap

Awesome, but why I recommend HDAT2 is because Seatools doesn't tell you SMART status

The drive may pass both short and long tests and still be dodgy (I have had this happen before) it can happen that the drive has multiple reallocated sectors (which indicates a problem), but all the sectors at the time of testing test OK, and so the drive is marked as OK.

Sweep
20-06-2010, 02:16 PM
It does tell you if the SMART status has been tripped though.

Agent_24
20-06-2010, 02:56 PM
It does tell you if the SMART status has been tripped though.

That's true but only by what it considers to be 'tripped'

A drive may have 50 reallocated sectors yet the limit may be 200. To a human the drive definitely has problems yet Seatools will say it's OK.

Sweep
20-06-2010, 03:00 PM
The other difficulty in this case is that Lakewoodlady only has a USB keyboard and I had to change to a PS/2 effort in order to type commands in HDAT2.

lakewoodlady
20-06-2010, 03:10 PM
It said that SMART had NOT been tripped, so is that good or bad?

Sweep
20-06-2010, 03:20 PM
It's good that it hasn't been tripped but not definitive as such.

lakewoodlady
20-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Ok, I have made my decision. I will give it back as is and she said she would take it into somewhere to get the data off and get Windows reinstalled.

Many many thanks for all your help everyone. It's been great to learn all the things I have over this past few days.

LL
:thanks:thanks:thanks

Sweep
20-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Pleased to be of some help.