PDA

View Full Version : windows password

27-08-2001, 06:22 PM
Anyone know how to create a Windows password that can't be bypassed by clicking 'Cancel' or 'X' ?

27-08-2001, 09:50 PM
Simple answer.... NO.

Better answer:-
Put the screen saver in the startup group and have the screensaver passworded.

27-08-2001, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't a safe mode restart bypass the screensaver load? A smart cookie could then delete the screensaver. Haven't tried it myself .....no windows system is secure.

27-08-2001, 10:00 PM
Ops ..... by restart i meant press the power button and then power back up again.

27-08-2001, 10:07 PM
If you mean the logon password thing, there is an option in X-Setup (www.xteq.com) that allows you to change this.

27-08-2001, 10:17 PM
i think x-setup has an option that disables the cancel button. havn't treid it but it should do the job.

28-08-2001, 12:59 AM
No system is secure!!!

Not as stand alone computer anyway.

As my computer boots it checks CDrom for a boot record followed by Hard disk followed by floppy.

Get access to the BIOS.

Change the boot access to floppy first.. HD... CDrom..

Put in a boot floppy of your choice. Like DOS 6.22

Fdisk

delete all partitions.

Need I say more.

The BEST security I have found is to physically restrict access to your computer full stop.

If you can't do that...

Open the computer and remove the cable from the A: drive.

Tell the bios there isn't an A: drive.

Look at it this way.

Let's say I arrive at your plce and say, ' Can I use your computer and you say yes.'

In my pocket I happen to have a 30 Gig Hard Drive and a screwdriver.

I have access to the BIOS and even if I don't I can jumper the BIOS to enable access by discharging the password and bios settings.

On the 30 Gig hard drive I have I have a number of utilities and several operating systems.

Make *YOUR* C: drive a slave and boot from mine.

Does this give you some idea?

My first answer to the question was NO... You can't make a Win 9x computer safe password wise.

The best answer for security is to make SURE that YOU are the ONLY one who has access!!!