PDA

View Full Version : is this a good deal?

goodiesguy
09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
i just got a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop off a mate for $80. its in good condition.

these are the specs:

Windows XP Home Edition
AMD Mobile Sempron 1.7Ghz
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB
383MB RAM (gonna upgrade)
40GB Hard Drive (10GB wasted for compaq recovery partition)
widescreen

i need help though. its goes slow and has all these games from gamehouse.com on it (jewel quest etc..) and it goes quite slow. it has MSE on it. should i do a format and reinstall to start from scratch? i recon it would go twice as fast if i formatted it, and i don't like the recovery partition taking up 10gb of space.

any ideas? (and i'm thinking of putting windows 7 home premium with own key! on it once i upgrade the ram to at least 1GB)

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Sempron CPU's arent exactly fast

Alex B
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
try find a dead laptop with a turion and swap it over, other wise its always going to be a bit slow.

goodiesguy
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
its a good laptop though. am i safe formatting it? i have run ccleaner on it etc.. the previous owner let his ex-partners boys on it. they go to dodgey game sites. i want to format it and start from scratch. is it safe to do this?

goodiesguy
it will be faster than my old compaq evo n410c

Alex B
What do you mean is it safe to do this? Its the same as doing it on any other pc.

Metla
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I would do a factory recovery, then run decrapifier, and then make some recovery discs.

Should run like a dream,I wouldn't bother with upgrading the ram unless you had some already to suit,nor would I install W7.

If managed properly and kept lean and mean it would make a very nice XP machine, if you try and make it something its not it will be a pig.

goodiesguy
09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
ok. i've never done any factory recovery on anything before. all my stuff has been custom built. and my old compaq evo n410c has never had a recovery partition as long as i've had it. i've formatted that fine

Sweep
09-06-2010, 11:16 PM
So format it then.

goodiesguy
09-06-2010, 11:27 PM
so it won't bugger it? (sorry, i never have delt with recovery partitions). what about its factory software, drivers etc..

KarameaDave
09-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I would do a factory recovery, then run decrapifier, and then make some recovery discs.

Should run like a dream,I wouldn't bother with upgrading the ram unless you had some already to suit,nor would I install W7.

If managed properly and kept lean and mean it would make a very nice XP machine, if you try and make it something its not it will be a pig.

What he said....good buying, man.

Alex B
09-06-2010, 11:32 PM
No you will not bugger it, just loose the recovery partition and everything on it. No great loss really. If you're that worried about it, there will probly be software to make recovery cd's.

goodiesguy
09-06-2010, 11:35 PM
tomorrow i'll backup the stuff i need to, format and reinstall. it'll save me having to change user account names. removing stuff. i'd rather start from scratch so i can set it to my own liking

Metla
09-06-2010, 11:38 PM
so it won't bugger it? (sorry, i never have delt with recovery partitions). what about its factory software, drivers etc..

Yes, You have a good chance of creating many problems for yourself. Its a case of "if you have to ask, then don't do it"

Do a factory reset, make some backup/recovery discs, use decrapifier to reduce the bloat and you're good to go.

You could at this stage delete the data on the recovery partition if you created some recovery cd's, but you're best to just keep it as is.

gary67
10-06-2010, 06:46 AM
First does it still have it's recovery partition? If it does google how to run it for that model, it will have everything that was on it when bought new including all drivers

pctek
10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
If you format it and wipe the recovery partition, make sure you have all the drivers first. Apart from that, good idea, it's probably full of malware as well as crap.

wainuitech
10-06-2010, 08:07 AM
The only way it will "bugger it" by running the factory recovery is if by some chance the recovery partition is corrupted.

Even if that did happen, you can simply install a fresh copy of XP using the COA on the back, then install the drivers from HP's site.

There is also a hidden folder on the C drive that Compaq put the original drivers, (you will have to show hidden folders) from memory its either called HP or bin or something like that -- just have a look around - you'll find them sooner or later.

Agent_24
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Sounds nice for $80

I would format and reinstall (your choice to keep the recovery partition or not - it makes it easier to restore but as you found out it wastes a lot of space)

But then you have to bother getting rid of all the crap they will no doubt preinstall for you...

Definitely upgrade the RAM. Even XP won't run great on 383MB - get 1GB if you can, it will run a lot better.

Metla
10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
The only way it will "bugger it" by running the factory recovery is if by some chance the recovery partition is corrupted.

I was more going for the user buggering it by losing all the drivers by doing a complete format and then struggling to identify and install what is required.

Of course, there are precautions one could take first, But imo the persons already looking a little shaky by asking on a forum if its good idea.

wainuitech
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I was more going for the user buggering it by losing all the drivers by doing a complete format and then struggling to identify and install what is required.

Of course, there are precautions one could take first, But imo the persons already looking a little shaky by asking on a forum if its good idea. Awh yep! :thumbs:

goodiesguy
10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
i've never had to deal with recovery partitions. i've formatted and reinstalled on my old laptop a few times but that didn't have a recovery partition. i've done many pc's too. i just never had to deal with recovery partitions

goodiesguy
10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
so i just format and reinstall and get the drivers and software off the net? (or how do i backup the software?)

Agent_24
10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Most of the preinstalled software will be bloatware crap. Things like trial versions of Norton AV etc, no point in backing that up.

Anything which is critical for the PC to function will be available for download on HP's website.

Personally I would save an image of the drive with Norton Ghost, then do a clean install and download the latest drivers from HP etc.

That way, If you do run into problems you can restore the original image, and then do a standard restore install from the recovery partition.

Sweep
10-06-2010, 08:05 PM
so i just format and reinstall and get the drivers and software off the net? (or how do i backup the software?)

You get the motherboard drivers off the net and use removable media to save same before you format. Then you format and install the O/S. Then you install the drivers.

As was mentioned before if you have to ask then you probably should not be doing it.

Nomad
10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
afaik the recovery partition you can just access it and you will reimage your hard drive. they don't give you a cd, they save cost.

however if you fdisk and wipe all the partitions you will lose the recovery files - that's your windows files, cos there might be no CDs...

if you format the c: - not sure. maybe it be ok. it might be unaffected. i dunno how that start up screen is saved. if yo somehow wreck that linkage, you may find the recovery partition there but the hot key message when you turn on the computer dissapear so you cannot press those keys to access it .... :badpc:

the importance here is really image your physical hdd containing all partitions. so you have something to fall back on.

if you don't want any of it .. nuke the hdd - and install your own windows on it. but you've paid for that recovery partition window thingy....

Morgenmuffel
11-06-2010, 03:06 PM
yep its a good deal, don't have another one at that price?, my old lappie broke and shes going to cost a bit to fix I feel

goodiesguy
11-06-2010, 03:26 PM
what's the problem with it?