PDA

View Full Version : Windows Firewall

Agoge
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Folks!

I'm still happily running XP, but a friend of mine is having a deuce of a problem with her computer. Window's firewall won't turn on - she's running Vista Premium - and can't get onto the Net through her wireless connection.

I've scanned the board but haven't come across anyone else who has experienced this problem.

Does anyone have a solution to her dilemma?

Abundant thanks.

Sweep
09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
So any other third party firewalls installed like ZA or whatever?

wainuitech
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Have a read of this support article (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/onecarefirewall/thread/be413d5e-9ca5-4f85-bd9f-2b6ae63da771).

Also adding to Sweeps question -

If you have norton internet security, McAfee Internet Security, or any other security package that contains a firewall, that will take over Windows, and wont allow it to turn on.

You can only have 1 active firewall.

Agoge
11-06-2010, 09:28 AM
She had Norton anti-virus and then Avast, but both have been deleted. Now she is running AVG, which she downloaded from off a disk. The problem began before she put AVG on her computer.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2010, 09:32 AM
I take it, you mean you uninstalled them first?? You didnt delete their folders without uninstalling them first did you?. It can cause a lot of probs, if you do. If it doesnt work with wireless, does it work with ethernet?

Agoge
11-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Yes, she uninstalled them completely, and, no, it doesn't appear to work with ethernet either.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Are there any programs installed that update, without opening the browser?? If there are, do they work / update?? Sometimes, programs will update, even if you cant use a browser. Also, has someone set up a proxy somewhere? (ie: In IE, or whatever browser)? Are you with her atm?? And is there another PC there that can get on the net? If there is post a hijackthis log. Another thing you can try, is boot into safe mode / networking. Does this work?

Sweep
11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
AVG and Avast are Antivirus programs and the free versions do not have a firewall.

My question remains. Norton Security contains AV and firewall. Was only the AV component uninstalled?

pctek
11-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Ah but uninstalling Nortons doesn't always. It's a known problem and will often block the net even though it appears to not exist.
Download the Nortons Removal tool and run it then see what happens.

Sweep
11-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Ah but uninstalling Nortons doesn't always. It's a known problem and will often block the net even though it appears to not exist.
Download the Nortons Removal tool and run it then see what happens.

Agreed. But I was not sure what has been installed and or removed.

Started with a firewall problem and then antivirus. The win firewall won't turn on but that would hardly be the reason for no net access.

mzee
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Check in Administrators Tools "Services" that the Firewall is not disabled. If it is, enable it and set start to Auto.
Then open the Firewall in control Panel and check that it is ON. If not, turn it on.

wainuitech
12-06-2010, 09:36 AM
You can also try this:

Click start, type in CMD when it shows in the results, right click it,run as administrator.

Type in NETSH FIREWALL RESET press enter.

(may pay to reboot afterwards) See if the firewall / internet are working.

Agoge
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks guy's...

Will try all of the above and report back, with success, I hope.

Agoge
13-06-2010, 02:19 PM
No luck. Got a notification which read: ' Window's could not start the Window's Firewall on local computer' and to review the systems event log.