PDA

View Full Version : file transfer

27-08-2001, 11:56 AM
I've had a mental block! How do you copy files from disk on A:\ drive to C:\ drive to specific destination file therein. Ive done it once. Do you think I can rememder? Nooooooo! (Windows 98 se)

27-08-2001, 01:32 PM
First open up the A: in 'My Computer' or 'Windows explorer', select the files/folder by left clicking once, then right click & select cut or copy from the right click menu. Next select empty area of desktop & paste, or using 'Windows explorer' navigate to specific the folder you want to paste to. You can also drag and drop rather than cut/paste, same thing.

27-08-2001, 04:05 PM
Thanks J J. Another question:Can I copy and paste more than one file at a time?

27-08-2001, 09:00 PM
Yes no problem. If you want to select all files in a line (sequence) highlight (left click) the first file, press the shift key then highlight the last file, and they will all be selected. Alternatively, hold the Ctrl key down and highlight any number of individual files. Then when you want to cut/copy make sure the mouse is over any of the highlighted files and select cut/copy from the right click menu. Paste them anywhere eg in a folder on the desktop or using Windows explorer anywhere on the C. Of course you can also select files from the C: & paste to the A: as well if you want to, although the A: has limited capacity for anything really apart from text document files, although WinZip can help.

27-08-2001, 09:45 PM
...here's a handy tip for moving file/s from the Hard Drive to multiple floppies:

(i) In left panel of Windows Explorer select the folder you wish to copy

(ii) Using the Edit function, click 'select all' then click 'copy'

(iii) Again in left panel of Windows Explorer, click on A:\, and from the Edit scroll, click on 'paste'.

This copies the files
to the A: disk and prompts for a new disk when it is needed.

This is useful when copying files onto a new machine without having to deal with splicing or spanning programs.

Cheers!!!

e_

27-08-2001, 11:16 PM
Thanks to all responders. You've all been a big help.

Mental Block