PDA

View Full Version : Telecom's Big Time

bk T
08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Any news about the latest update? I've not received any notification (email, letter) re the above. What about you guys?

Chilling_Silence
08-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Just got the email, no news about an ETA for plan closure.

Agent_24
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Nothing here since the email saying it would be shutting down

Netsukeninja
08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Didn't even get the email. :\

Anyone decided which ISP they are changing to?

Agent_24
09-06-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm not changing, everything else is pretty pathetic compared to the hassle

nofam
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I still think Slingshot's $49.95 plan is the best alternative: 25Gb per month (FS/FS), with unlimited offpeak downloads, and data banking for any extra cap you buy.

Of course, there's the usual YMMV caveat regarding speed and reliability. I'm hoping against realistic expectation that Telecom aren't saying anything yet because they're about to launch a whole range of new plans with huge caps. . . . :dogeye:

bk T
09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not changing, everything else is pretty pathetic compared to the hassle

I thought we will be forced to change to another PLAN or leave Telecom as they are shutting down Big Time.

Or, Telecom has changed their mind and still retain existing Big Time customers??

Sweep
09-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I thought we will be forced to change to another PLAN or leave Telecom as they are shutting down Big Time.

Or, Telecom has changed their mind and still retain existing Big Time customers??

I can't see the second option being available.

Normally the fine print allows Telecom to change the terms of the original contract whether you agree or not.

Netsukeninja
09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I still think Slingshot's $49.95 plan is the best alternative: 25Gb per month (FS/FS), with unlimited offpeak downloads, and data banking for any extra cap you buy.

Of course, there's the usual YMMV caveat regarding speed and reliability. I'm hoping against realistic expectation that Telecom aren't saying anything yet because they're about to launch a whole range of new plans with huge caps. . . . :dogeye:

I'm most likely going to go with Slingshot's nDSL. I wonder if Slingshot can handle the load... heh.

I'm reasonably confident that Telecom will realign all their plans. I don't think many people will be interested in cutting their usage down to 20GB or paying $120 for 40GB.

inphinity
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm most likely going to go with Slingshot's nDSL. I wonder if Slingshot can handle the load... heh.

I'm reasonably confident that Telecom will realign all their plans. I don't think many people will be interested in cutting their usage down to 20GB or paying $120 for 40GB.

:confused: Telecom's 40GB plan is $79.95 ($89.95 if your calling isn't with Telecom), not $120, and from next month they've said they will cut the overuse costs to $2/GB (currently $0.02/MB, or $20/GB, which would HURT!).

Sure it's still not amazing for very high users, but for many it will be price-comparable to any alternative provider, especially if you don't want to stuff around changing who your calling is with etc.

DeSade
09-06-2010, 01:39 PM
:confused: Telecom's 40GB plan is $79.95 ($89.95 if your calling isn't with Telecom), not $120, and from next month they've said they will cut the overuse costs to $2/GB (currently $0.02/MB, or $20/GB, which would HURT!).

Sure it's still not amazing for very high users, but for many it will be price-comparable to any alternative provider, especially if you don't want to stuff around changing who your calling is with etc.

I find 40gb is ok but not enough, I would love a plan that upped it to 60 or 80even if it went up to $100 - $120

Agent_24
09-06-2010, 01:40 PM

I mean, I will be sticking with Telecom and not changing ISP

Mike
09-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I still think Slingshot's $49.95 plan is the best alternative: 25Gb per month (FS/FS), with unlimited offpeak downloads, and data banking for any extra cap you buy.I'm on this plan. $50 a month for 25gb peak, and uncapped off-peak. no slow down of p2p or anything else that I've noticed.

I'm averaging about 70gb a month at 18Mb/s down and 0.8Mb/s up (which is about all I should expect in an old part of Tauranga). And it appears that their customer service is improving (it was almost non-existant 2-3 years ago).

Cheers,
Mike.

WarNox
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm averaging about 70gb a month at 18Mb/s down and 0.8Mb/s up (which is about all I should expect in an old part of Tauranga).

18Mb/s is good regardless where you are in NZ, given that the max possible adsl2 speed is 24Mb/s. Unless you live in an exchange box you won't get anywhere close to it.

Netsukeninja
09-06-2010, 04:27 PM

That was including the inavoidable homeline rental, pretty much the same price no matter the provider.

gary67
09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Naked DSL and VoIP why pay for the phone anymore, I was reluctant to do this until my step son won us a years free nDSL + VoIP, now I wish we had done it sooner, still use the same phone we always have, except now it plugs into the router and not the phone jack in the wall

Sweep
09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Naked DSL and VoIP why pay for the phone anymore, I was reluctant to do this until my step son won us a years free nDSL + VoIP, now I wish we had done it sooner, still use the same phone we always have, except now it plugs into the router and not the phone jack in the wall

So presumably you have a cellphone as well as if the power goes off so does your phone and router. I don't have or want a cellphone as there are charges for that too.

I'm keeping my landline and I have an older phone connected to the Telecom landline which still works if I don't have power.

Each to their own I guess.

Chilling_Silence
09-06-2010, 11:16 PM
UPS isn't that expensive, lasts for ages if it's just your router + ATA plugged into it :)

Agent_24
10-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I'd rather not waste bandwidth on VoIP when I could just use the standard phone line...

gary67
10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
We haven't noticed a significant increase in bandwidth usage since changing, yes I do have a cellphone mainly because my work takes me out of the workshop most days and I need to be able to call up work and I spend a lot of my spare time in the backcountry so being able to contact SWMBO is nice too

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I've run a small call center doing thousands and thousands of minutes on < 10GB a month. You'd be surprised how little it uses ...

inphinity
10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I find 40gb is ok but not enough, I would love a plan that upped it to 60 or 80even if it went up to $100 - $120

60GB would be $120, $80 + $2x20gb. However, if you're keen on scheduling stuff for off-peak, Slingshot as mentioned give free off-peak (2am - 7am or something?) which could be worth looking in to.

For someone like myself, whose usage is entirely between 10am and 10pm and not really able to be scheduled overnight, the free off-peak is useless.