PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - black screen

Nomad
05-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I boot up and all I see is my white mouse cursor and a black screen. If I press CTRL ALT DEL I get a screen, click anything like task manager or switch user ... it goes back to the black screen.

Same thing happens in safe mode.

If I press START and then up up up enter enter enter, nothing hapens. No disk activity.

Any help apprec.
Win7 has been the most difficult OS for me......

feersumendjinn
05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
From here
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=EiW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=windows+vista+black+screen+of+death&revid=1638401054&sa=X&ei=tigKTMKPK5PKNfuhsLYE&ved=0CEAQ1QIoAA
Try this
http://thebackroomtech.com/2008/12/30/fix-for-windows-vista-black-screen-of-death-aka-ksod/
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/193b7008-ce4b-4d03-acc3-b8d7ffe610d5

wainuitech
05-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Its coming to be a more common event.

There are several causes, and different black screens, some are caused by malware. Others This here fixes it (http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html).

Basically if you can ctrl+alt+ Del and bring up task manager thats a good start.

Heres the cause:
The issue appears to be related to a characteristic of the Windows Registry related to the storage of string data. In parsing the Shell value in the registry, Windows requires a null terminated "REG_SZ" string. However, if malware or indeed any other program modifies the shell entry to not include null terminating characters, the shell will no longer load properly, resulting in the infamous Black Screen.

Some other fixs that sometimes works -- IF you can bring up ctrl+alt+ Del and windows opens, run restore back to the previous day. OR boot from teh W7 repair CD, tell it to fix the PC, or if that doesn't work, run restore from the CD back 1-2 days.

Blam
05-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Does Ctrl+Shift+Esc bring anything up?

Have you tried system restore(from the 7 recovery disc)

Nomad
05-06-2010, 11:23 PM
System Restore worked.

I've only had it running for a few hrs since a format. Dunno what I installed, Office 2007, Adobe, what else, lol. I did notice that I installed the Ethernet drivers network just didn't work anymore and my system came to a crawl. Back dated the system restore.

Those are the latest Ethernet drivers off Asus.com; I may try it again once I do a image of the HD. Perhaps I can live without the drivers........ Well few weeks ago I had no issues with them - that was without a RAID setup ... I dunno.

W7 has been the most difficult for me. I have updates to install, but just after installing Windows I get shutdown issues, restart issues, sleep issues and now this black screen.

My concern is that, will it come back ... :rolleyes:

feersumendjinn
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks for posting your successful solution.
Understand your problem, nobody really seems to know what causes it, anything from corrupted registry to windows updates etc, makes one a bit paranoid :eek:

Nomad
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I got the black screen again.

I got mobo drivers installed ok and Ski Challenge game. Some hrs later I downloaded and installed MS Security Essentials and it immediately froze my screen, couldn't move mouse, couldn't bring up task manger with ALT CTRL DEL. I turned it off and back on and it gave me the same black screen.

Well time for system restore again :lol:
This is clearly the worst OS I have used. Win31 and others just worked, it may have some quirks but they don't crash out and lock you out.

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
If youre using the same image you used before (using Win7's program). Its probably that, that's causing it

Nomad
06-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Well could be. Didn't use the image. Just systems restore.

But I have the basics installed, Adobe Lightroom, Mailwasher, the mobo drivers were not installed yet nor any updates. It's so fresh.
Was created like 1 or 2hr after Win was installed.

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Whats the mobo, you've installed this on? I would install the updates. Win7 by itself is buggy

Nomad
06-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I installed the mobo drivers. Not yet ATI drivers.
Rushed and installed the critical updates and impt sys optional updates (for Win7). Just didn't installed the extra feature updates.
Assuming they may of addressed it.

Asus P5Q. Got the latest drivers off Asus.com.

Gonna do the 2007 Office SP2 now. Have it on a CD.
I gonna create a restore point, wait a week before I creat an image.

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks like Comodo firewall can cause the black screen in win7. This isnt installed tho is it. This is when defense is enabled. Dont know if later versions of comodo fix it

Nomad
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Good caution Speedy .. I uninstalled ZA. Comodo is too technical for me. I just wanted malware not to access the net (going out).

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Win7's is better than XP. It does block in and outgoing

wainuitech
06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
For the Black screen-- there is a link in the thread I posted earlier, the "fix" is meant to stop the black Screening.

No Idea if it works though as I cant try it (no problem PC's / Black Screening at the Moment) heres the patch (http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=BLACKSCREENFIX) -- make a restore point first, just in case it turns to :yuck:

Nomad
06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks, I have applied the fix. Fingers crossed :)

I made a restore point and an image prior to the fix :D

Nomad
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I been doing a bit of reading on the press and MS says it's got nothing to do with them :D
They disputed that fix that is on the net.

For me, it's not about Windows Updates b/c for me it fell over when I haven't installed any. WU was turned off. Well it could be Zonealarm, Ski Challenge (game), Mailwasher, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Acrobat. Motherboard drivers. ATI drivers not installed at the time. Take your pick, lol.

However MS Security Essentials went slow shortly after I installed it and then locked up. I am back to AVAST now. It was so recent, I didn't have time to reboot. I just went thru the software and checked it out ...

I can imagine people can have issues, people will install stuff. Do I need a Dr's prescription to know what to install ... :annoyed:

wainuitech
06-06-2010, 10:49 PM
From what I gather, its not Just W7 that black screens, its also XP & Vista.

In fact from memory I have had 3 over the last couple of months and all were XP. BUT these also had several malware infections.

As mentioned - could be any program -- I think all the PC's had the dreaded N----n AV & ALL did have Adobe Reader installed. ;)

Nomad
06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Adobe Reader - that's a given. Adobe Flash and Shockwave (if that exist anymore).
Who doesn't have Norton or McAfee.

;)

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Speaking of adobe reader, there's another vulnerability in it. I dont have Nortons or Mcafee. Used to use Nortons years ago, but have never installed Mcafee

Nomad
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
What vulnerability is that?
Good luck to MS to combat Acrobat, haha, next will be IE.

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
MS dont deal with reader, Adobe do. This (http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa10-01.html). It also includes flash, but not the 10.1 RC version