PDA

View Full Version : Wireless keyboard for PS3

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Can I use a wireless keyboard with a PS3 and is it very difficult to configure?
Or would a USB wired one be better?
I want to use it for playing "Life with Playstation" interactive. The virtual keyboard on online is too much of a hassle when trying to "talk" to others in the game.

LL :)

lagbort
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
bluetooth keyboards will work without any dongle on the ps3, as will usb wired keyboards, as for non-bluetooth wireless keyboards im not sure sorry.

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 01:57 PM
bluetooth keyboards will work without any dongle on the ps3, as will usb wired keyboards, as for non-bluetooth wireless keyboards im not sure sorry.

Yeah I just called into Smiths dicks and had the same answer. Thanks anyway.
Will most likely go with a USB wired one.

LL :punk

decibel
05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
If you can use a USB wired keyboard, then you can also use a wireless USB keyboard and I think they are a great idea and they don't need any setting up.
Note however that different brands have different size "dongles" to plug in the back of your PS3. If you are going to be moving it around at all, get the little nano receivers like this one http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386586

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 07:44 PM
If you can use a USB wired keyboard, then you can also use a wireless USB keyboard and I think they are a great idea and they don't need any setting up.
Note however that different brands have different size "dongles" to plug in the back of your PS3. If you are going to be moving it around at all, get the little nano receivers like this one http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386586

Funny, when it says specifically
System Requirements
Windows-based PC
* Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, or Windows® 7

Why would it work on a PS3 ? And, the USB ports are at the front, not the back.

LL

decibel
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Why would it work on a PS3 ? And, the USB ports are at the front, not the back.

LL
My understanding is that the USB receiver replicates the same signal into the USB port that a wired keyboard would so what ever box you have should be a goer.

As for front/back, even more reason to go for a nano receiver if the front is the only choice.

Blam
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Those System requirements are aimed towards typical consumers who expect you to use it with a PC.

It would work fine in linux, and probably mac os as well.

99.99% of Wireless and Wired keyboards should be plug and play on the PS3. Unless its a specifically supported model, most extra keys probably won't work other than the basic ones.

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Those System requirements are aimed towards typical consumers who expect you to use it with a PC.

It would work fine in linux, and probably mac os as well.

99.99% of Wireless and Wired keyboards should be plug and play on the PS3. Unless its a specifically supported model, most extra keys probably won't work other than the basic ones.

Sony do make a special one for PS3. It is a rather small looking one and sells for around $70. Maybe the Smiths Dick was trying to sell me that one, (is that what you'd call a nano?) I am more than happy just to use a USB wired one.
Less complicated the better = happy! :cool:

LL

feersumendjinn
06-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Smiths Dick was trying to sell me that one, (is that what you'd call a nano?) I am more than happy just to use a USB wired one.

(is the usb receiver for that keyboard (decibels link)).

effie c
06-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi Lakewoodlady;

Be warned wireless keyboards do not take kindly to going into safe mode-mine will not work

I like the wireless but still have my wired keyboard and mouse connected

---and also accept the fact that the mouse batteries get chewed up, say once a week,and I have to have to change over ( I recharge 2 batteries and swap at the end of their time in the mouse)
:lol:

effie c

icow
06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Can I use a wireless keyboard with a PS3 and is it very difficult to configure?
Or would a USB wired one be better?
I want to use it for playing "Life with Playstation" interactive. The virtual keyboard on online is too much of a hassle when trying to "talk" to others in the game.

LL :)

You could go for one of these (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Wireless-keypad/dp/B001ENPDJA)