PDA

View Full Version : OpenDns

notechyet
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
morning to you all
Some months/year ago I had "installed" the opendns on the family machine and was working fine at the time.
At some stage we changed machine and I did not do anything about it.
At the moment I'm trying to add the opendns servers again though I have no luck so far. Moderate setting does not do anything and high is intermitend.
Could it be that something has changed with the isp(t..com)?
Has anyone else had any problems with the dns servers?
Thanks

Safari
05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Why bother, there is no great advantage.
Just use the ISP DNS

notechyet
05-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Why bother, there is no great advantage.
Just use the ISP DNS

Have a look here (http://www.opendns.com/). I have two teenagers and the filtering is an additional tool. Just to take the main "scum" of.

Chilling_Silence
05-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Have a bit of a look here:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=81

Make sure that the picture says you're using OpenDNS on the machines, it's possible the router is overriding it.
Then, it might be worth following the link to the Router setup page to force the router to use OpenDNS too :)

notechyet
05-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Chill
Not often I get stuck like this.:groan: Could be that the traffic at the isp is getting around the opendns servers?
Or other question; how many slots do the isp's provide for the dns servers? Do you know?
There are only two at the adapter.
Have added four at the router and not sure how many more I could add?

Blam
05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Without DNS servers, domain names such as google.com would point to nothing, so if the internet is working then its definitely using a DNS server...

Might be a stupid question, but make sure that you've set the DNS on the right adapter.

Can you take a screenshot of the DNS entries on your wireless router?

Chilling_Silence
06-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah you've gotta prioritize the OpenDNS ones, and even then it may search all 4 in parallel so I'd try with *just* OpenDNS first, and re-add the ISP DNS servers later.

notechyet
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks Chill
I can not remember being so frustrated with trying a setting.
So for the time being it's back to the default.