PDA

View Full Version : Winter fishing

sarel
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Thought I should do a bit of winter fishing this long w/e - it's not often that you will get the excellent weather that is forecasted for the w/e. A question though - I'm a surfcaster, recently started fishing again - colder water temperatures = less bites? It's also a b*gger that the Maori fishing calender says fishing will be bad this w/e. Ah well, since I release everything I catch in any case, it'll be for the enjoyment then.

sarel

R2x1
03-06-2010, 01:11 PM
If you're thinking of winter fishing - please don't. We've already caught our quota of it.

kenj
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Caught a couple of nice trout when winter fishing..

...but mainly I just caught a cold.

Ken ;)

prefect
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Gelly trout fishing is more fun.

PinoyKiw
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
If all else fails..........stop by the fish market on the way home and get a couple of whole fish or a fillet or 2 and take them home to your loved one's and they will be so proud that you actually caught something other than weeds and snags.

sarel
03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Pinoykiw

Won't work, unfortunately, because everybody knows I catch and release - I only keep in exceptional circumstances or when ordered to bring something home by SWMBO - and only schnapper. Mostly I take a piccie of the fishie and then wave it goodbye.

sarel

sarel
14-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Feedback time. The son could not fish much with his sea fly fishing rig, but he eventually used my 2nd surf casting rig. On the Fri we caught a few nice sized Kahawai and a shark (Don't know the name, was about say 5 feet long). On Sat we caught another few Kahawai, a few Herring and few Scnapper - pan sized.

I could not believe it - so many bites, so many fish, and this all during the winter months. (I'm not complaining! My fishing friend in town wanted to burn his rod when he heard about our luck). Even the Maori Fishing Calender said fishing will be cr*p. Perhaps we just fished at the right places - we could see schools of little fish being chased by Kahawai on both days.

sarel

pctek
14-06-2010, 09:25 AM
It's also a b*gger that the Maori fishing calender says fishing will be bad this w/e.

I've found that to be quite accurate.
If it says bad, no bites, if it says good, loads of fish.