PDA

View Full Version : 6 Stoke Engine

rebels181
01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
I know it's been around for awhile but it's the first I've heard of it.
http://www.damninteresting.com/the-six-stroke-engine

Crower invites us to imagine a car or truck (he speaks of a Bonneville streamliner, too) free of a radiator and its associated air ducting, fan, plumbing, coolant weight, etc.

“Especially an 18-wheeler, they’ve got that massive radiator that weighs 800, 1000 pounds. Not necessary,” he asserts. “In those big trucks, they look at payload as their bread and butter. If you get 1000 lb. or more off the truck
I thought water and petrol/diesel don't mix to well.

ubergeek85
01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I can't imagine that there's much water left after it all turns to steam.

Great concept. It seems like a bit of a steam engine...

If you could collect the steam vapour, you could recondense it, and re-use it, saving a bit on the water required.

wotz
01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I thought water and petrol/diesel don't mix to well.

I'm not sure where you see this as a problem. I think it was saying the technology could be used in petrol or diesel engines.

R2x1
01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Not a lot of petrol or diesel left after the combustion and exhaust strokes either.

Biggest problem - How are they going to tax the water? People would be using bootleg water.

Greven
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
very interesting indeed. I had the same thought as you - how does he ensure the steam is all expelled from the chamber instead of some of it condensing again & mixing with the fuel?

R2x1
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
It will take very little running before the minimum combustion chamber temperature is above the dew point, and water vapour in the incoming charge can do little harm, if the steam condenses it may drop the temperature enough to aid in getting a little more air in on the induction stroke. Dunno about exhaust system corrosion though.

prefect
01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Wouldnt matter if a little residual water left as water meths injection into aircraft engines boosted power. The water makes the air more dense so you can add more fuel for the same ratio. Same reason your car seems to go (and is ) better at night
Only downfall I can see is how much water it would burn.
Lucas could sell Lucas 6 stroke water in nice green cans

R2x1
01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Lucas water wouldn't work.

prefect
01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
shock and horror

R2x1
01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Lucas petrol can usefully be employed in Pyrene extinguishers. It doesn't do the drycleaning or brass cleaning tricks of carbon tet., it is just as good for putting out fires though.

prefect
01-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Isn't there some song about putting out a fire with gasoline?

hueybot3000
02-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Bowie

And this seems liek a really cool idea. Makes me glad im young cos il get to see if it turns into anything

SolMiester
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
What a clever guy, that was written in 2006, wonder what has happened since?

prefect
02-06-2010, 12:20 PM
What a clever guy, that was written in 2006, wonder what has happened since?

Well spotted I guess it didnt work.
Or the Elvis is still alive /Princess Di was killed by MI5 conspirators will say it was bought by the oil companies and destroyed.
And if the old bugger dies from a heartie or something he will have been killed to keep silent (killing does that)

Trev
02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
There have been many attempts over the years to get a internal combustion engine to run on water. You read about them in magazines or see them on TV but don't here anymore about them. I remember reading about one in the 70s in the Aussie Wheels magazine and never heard anymore about it.
:)

prefect
02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Heaps of noddies/nutcases have gone down the path of putting a charge in the water and collect and burn the hydrogen.
Only problem it takes more energy than is made in the conversion.
The alternator does not make power for free it just makes the engine work harder and use more fuel.
The 6 stroke engine will be burdened by a large water tank water is heavy and it will take more fuel to move it around defeating the purpose.
Good try though

SolMiester
02-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Heaps of noddies/nutcases have gone down the path of putting a charge in the water and collect and burn the hydrogen.
Only problem it takes more energy than is made in the conversion.
The alternator does not make power for free it just makes the engine work harder and use more fuel.
The 6 stroke engine will be burdened by a large water tank water is heavy and it will take more fuel to move it around defeating the purpose.
Good try though
You are thinking of mobile motors, what about stationery motors, no worries about how much water required....

tweak'e
02-06-2010, 04:27 PM
i have heard of a few 4x4's that have done that (or similar) conversion. they go through more water than fuel. big downside is room required for the water tank and weight of the water.
also it has to be fairly clean water ie not hard bore water.

otherwise standard water/methanol injection systems have been around for a long time and give some gain for far cheaper cost.