PDA

View Full Version : COM Ports - 9 used by Bluetooth

Strommer
01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Device Manager shows 9 COM Ports used by "Bluetooth Serial Port", and yet I have only ever used one Bluetooth device, a dongle to connect my cellphone. I have a wireless router but would it take up 8 COM ports?

The problem is that when I connect a radio transceiver to program via USB, Device Manager shows it as COM Port 17, 18, or 19 (I tried 3 different USB sockets; I have not tried the remaining 3 yet), but the transceiver program only covers COM Ports 1 to 9. If I try to change the COM Port number I get a conflict warning from Device Manager.

How can I change the new USB (radio) connection to show up in COM Ports 1 to 9?

Strommer
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Problem solved.

I chose one of the 9 Bluetooth COM Ports: Device Manager > Action > Uninstall.
Then I reassigned COM Port 18 (new USB hardware connection) to be COM Port 8, and configured the radio software to use COM Port 8.

It remains to be seen if the Bluetooth-to-cellphone dongle will still work but I guess it will. WIFI is not used anymore - I gave up on that - but am not sure if the WIFI router would show up as a Bluetooth COM Port??

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Wifi / the router's wireless wont be one of the COM ports. Thats separate

MushHead
01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Your Bluetooth software may have allocated a new COM port for each different phone you tried out with it - after all, it should be able to interact with more than 1 device at a time. You get a similar effect with USB-to-serial devices - every time you plug one into a unique USB port, Windows allocates a new COMx, just in case you have 2 plugged in at the same time some day.

Strommer
01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Your Bluetooth software may have allocated a new COM port for each different phone you tried out with it - after all, it should be able to interact with more than 1 device at a time. You get a similar effect with USB-to-serial devices - every time you plug one into a unique USB port, Windows allocates a new COMx, just in case you have 2 plugged in at the same time some day.

Thanks. With 8 remaining COM Ports left for Bluetooth, I guess it would be best to delete 7 of them.