PDA

View Full Version : ThinkPad R50

Swampy
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
We have this model and I recently had to re-install XP SP3.
Now the on-board wireless is not working. Would someone please advise what I could try to get this working again. The sound has never worked. Maybe there is some advice what I could try to get this working also.
I appreciate any help.

Nomad
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Did you use the IBM Recovery CD or recovery partition?

If not, you may need to get the driver off the IBM site (under support).

Swampy
01-06-2010, 10:25 AM
I Do not have" the IBM Recovery CD or recovery partition" - not sure what the "recovery partition is ? What driver will I need to look for on the IBM site ?

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
If the sound isnt working download the audio drivers from the IBM site. Likewise, for the wireless. Search for the model on the site

Nomad
01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I've had 4 of 5 laptops that are Thinkpads :)

What you do is go to the IBM site and under support I think and then downloads. You use the drop down box search thing. Flip your laptop upside down and there is a serial number there like 2662-32J then followed by the S/N. You don't need the S/N but you need the model number before that - that would determine which exact features your laptop has. Unless you added/changed the parts yourself after buying the laptop.....

For example there are many diff variations of the R50 model. Some may have a IBM or a 3Com modem/ethernet card for example. A different brand of Wireless card. A diff brand of Soundcard. A slightly diff CPU or a diff LCD resolution etc etc .... So for example, you may have a 2662-32J or a 2662-48H or a 2662-78X.

Recovery partition means the Recovery CD is in the hard drive, when you boot up the screen tells you to press a certain hotkey to access this. Then it would guide you thru wiping the C: and setting it back to factory. If you wiped the partitions then you won't see this, it's history :p Where is the original CD anyway did you buy it used?

Nomad
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I've deleted my recovery partition before. Sometime the manufacturer does not provide you a Windows / Machine CD. If you deleted it, it's your equivalent of Windows CD down the gurgler :lol: plus the product key cos the recovery thing doesn't need it, it's merely a hard drive image.

The neat thing with the image, while you cannot install it on another machine, well you shouldn't anyway cos it is OEM to that particular machine. The thing is that they are customised for your brand / model so no configuration are required. It sets it back to factory, all devices are working etc ... unless you changed your parts around ......

Nomad
01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Deleted. Not relevant now checked.

Swampy
03-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks to all who helped. Both sound and wilreless now working.,