PDA

View Full Version : My laptop won't turn off completely

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 06:38 AM
When I press the power button on my laptop, it goes through all the processes of turning off normally, but on the last screen, where it says "windows is shutting down...", it freezes on that screen and doesn't turn off completely. Yesterday, I left the laptop on that screen overnight to see if it'd turn off, but the laptop just ran out of battery.

Someone help plz :badpc:

gary67
01-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Is it Vista, XP or Win7?

pctek
01-06-2010, 07:59 AM
It's trying to close some process and can't. What process? Have a look whats running, and I'd do a malware scan too, that often interferes.

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Is it Vista, XP or Win7?

It's Vista.

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
It's trying to close some process and can't. What process? Have a look whats running, and I'd do a malware scan too, that often interferes.

I'm stupid when it comes to computers. How can I run a malware scan?

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
And in terms of looking at the processes running, how can I determine which one is causing the problem?

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
right click task bar and select task manager. it will show the processes running

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
right click task bar and select task manager. it will show the processes running

Yeah, I know that, but how do I know which process is causing the problem?

I think I've found the solution. I just found out that my anti-virus protection has expired, and I think I've been hit with a virus. But it's all good because I've downloaded AVG and hopefully that'll work to get rid of it.

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
i'd use the microsoft anti-virus over AVG.

what was the previous anti-virus you had on your computer?

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 09:28 AM
i'd use the microsoft anti-virus over AVG.

what was the previous anti-virus you had on your computer?

I had Norton Anti Virus.

I just ran a full system scan in AVG and no problems were found.

Jesus Christ, this is starting to annoy me.

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
get rid of AVG and get the microsoft one http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

get malwarebytes aswell and run full scans of both

norton is often half the problem

Yazanalsader
01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
get rid of AVG and get the microsoft one http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

get malwarebytes aswell and run full scans of both

norton is often half the problem

Okay, thank you my friend. I've downloaded both programs and I'm running the scans as you suggested.

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
and get hijackthis, do a scan and post the log here

gary67
01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Make sure Norton is completely gone folders everything sometimes just uninstalling it isn't enough

Billy T
02-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I know that, but how do I know which process is causing the problem?

In Task manager it will probably show as "Not responding".

Failure to shut down doesn't sound like a virus issue to me, but I defer to the opinions of those who have forgotten more than I will ever know about computers.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Metla
02-06-2010, 09:47 PM
You can force the shutdown by holding down the power button for 8 seconds.

And what I would do.

is.

Go into msconfig>startup, and disable every single item running, and when I say every single item I mean every single item. Force a reboot (power button) and then see if the system shuts down as it is supposed to.

if so (and my bet is it will) then you 93.2% of the way to solving the problem.

Trev
02-06-2010, 09:49 PM
No use posting Billy T. This person has been banned. If you check Google you will see they are a troll. Metla as will.
:)