PDA

View Full Version : Anyone deployed Exchange 2010 yet?

nofam
31-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm about to get it, and am looking at moving around 95% of my users from Outlook XP/2003 to OWA - just curious to know if anyone has had a dabble yet?

SolMiester
31-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm about to get it, and am looking at moving around 95% of my users from Outlook XP/2003 to OWA - just curious to know if anyone has had a dabble yet?

DONT do it......MS have removed single instance storage because they decieded CPU cycles are more expensive than storage or DR....unfarkinbelieveable.........
Unless you have 500+ users, it is not worth it....why?, because you wont be able to backup your data because it will be too big, so you need to run a replication and a replicator of the replicator.

inphinity
31-05-2010, 05:13 PM
LCR being removed seems to be the big ouch to me, for smaller businesses who don't have the resources to have multiple servers anyway.

nofam
31-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Sol/Inphinity - there's certainly a lot of debate on the SIS issue - see here (http://www.theemailadmin.com/2009/12/does-the-removal-of-single-instance-storage-mean-less-efficient-exchange-servers/) for one example.

Will look into this more, as we're virtualizing it on an HP G6 with dual E5520's and 24Gb's RAM - we're adding up to 5 VM's in total, so will have to watch the resource allocation closely! :p

SolMiester
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks Sol/Inphinity - there's certainly a lot of debate on the SIS issue - see here (http://www.theemailadmin.com/2009/12/does-the-removal-of-single-instance-storage-mean-less-efficient-exchange-servers/) for one example.

Will look into this more, as we're virtualizing it on an HP G6 with dual E5520's and 24Gb's RAM - we're adding up to 5 VM's in total, so will have to watch the resource allocation closely! :p

The whole argument of that article is aimed at big enterprises business with database size issue or multiple exchange boxes. Small to Medium Business come into alot of there points, and cannot afford multiple exchange boxes for DR.
Disks are not so cheap at the extremes of the world....

I think and so do alot of my colleagues, that MS got it wrong here....

That article could very well have been written by MS sponsor anyway!