PDA

View Full Version : Liquid on laptop

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Quite a big emergency.
I spilt a small amount of liquid on my laptop so i dried it off as best i could.
I turned off fairly quickly and dried off excess liquid.

Now when I turn it on the screen flickers.

I was told to put it in a hotwater cupboard, but that is made difficult by me still being at uni till the early evening.

Do I have a potentially dead laptop now?

(having Mega freakout and contemplating parents response when inform them when I get home)

fred_fish
31-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Remove the battery & DON'T apply power.

Depends on the liquid ....
Water, should be no probs, dry it out and should be good to go.
Coffee, or in my case 1/2 bottle of beer (!) may give you trouble.
Anything that leaves a (conductive) residue will be an issue.
I had to dismantle & solvent wash then dry & reassemble, but is now going fine.

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 03:03 PM
i spilt some hot cup-of-soup on the bottom left of my laptop and some of the keys.

(freak-out getting bigger!!)

fred_fish
31-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I would recommend immediate dis-assembly and wash affected components with water then dry in the proverbial cylinder cupboard.

As you will have to wait until tonight, it will dry out and 'crust up', meaning more vigorous clean of the components will be required.

FWIW my lappie-full-o-beer was two days before I was able to open it up for cleaning. The sugary residue required a few washes & dry's to get rid of tho'.

You should definitely open it up, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, pay someone who does.

It may work after drying, and you may have no probs, but it also may have some shorts that could destroy components sooner or later. Also, acidic components of your soup will attack the metals of your PCB's causing corrosion and eventual failure.

Your call.

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I'll be home in roughly 3 hours.
I've put it in my bag upside down so the side that had the stuff spilt on it is at the bottom of my bag.

It wouldn't come under house insurance would it?

How much to get it fixed???

fred_fish
31-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I'll be home in roughly 3 hours.
I've put it in my bag upside down so the side that had the stuff spilt on it is at the bottom of my bag.

It wouldn't come under house insurance would it?

How much to get it fixed???

Should be covered under your insurance.
No idea of cost, I gave myself a big discount :), but lappie repairs typically are not cheap.
If not covered, get a guide for your model & rip into it yourself (carefully of course :) ). There can be some tricky hidden screws & catches / lugs etc. so if you can't find a guide for your model, I would be a bit dubious about doing it blind.
Having said that, it's not rocket science, and good anti-static procedures and a careful approach should ensure no probs, and taking photo's of each step can be very helpful.

pctek
31-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I would recommend immediate dis-assembly and wash affected components with water then dry in the proverbial cylinder cupboard.

I certainly wouldn't add more water. Isopropyl except on the plastic bits and several days in the hot water cupboard after, if it still has a problem then it's insurance time.

SolMiester
31-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I would get some compressed air, or if you have compressor with air gun all good. Turn lappy upside down, remove screws which hold keyboard in place, turn over, open, open keyboard, and start blown air though where you between water was split. then leave in hot water cupboard for 48 hrs

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I hope it's under our insurance

I'll see what the parents say about it first before I do anything about opening it up.

Do I take the battery before I put it on the warming Cupboard?

fred_fish
31-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I certainly wouldn't add more water. Isopropyl except on the plastic bits and several days in the hot water cupboard after, if it still has a problem then it's insurance time.

Yes plain water is fine, I cleaned off my PCB's by running them under a warm tap for a while with gentle brushing, followed by careful cleaning of residual sticky bits with isopropyl and a final wash with same, and a thorough and prolonged drying. The important bit is making sure it is thoroughly dry, BEFORE applying power.

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 05:38 PM
i'll carefully dry it off, would a slightly damp cloth help to clean it out?

i'll try and "fix" it myself tonight/tomorrow then inform the parents of my slight error:dogeye:

i'll have a look for the manual on the hp site and going from there:badpc:

:badpc:

wainuitech
31-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Tell them the screen sprung a leak. Liquid Crystal Display -- The Liquid ran out :D

Neil McC
31-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Thought it was a new program!

"Liquid on laptop"

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 07:34 PM
parents ain't gonna use their insurance :(
gonna let it dry out by the fire (not right next to it though) and see how it goes tomorrow

in the event that it has to be fixed, what's a reputable place in Wellington to get it repaired at a hopefully reasonable cost(is that possible)

I may have to create a thread about recommendations for a laptop soon, so watch this space.

wainuitech
31-05-2010, 07:49 PM
If you want to take it someplace - I 'd suggest The laptop Company (http://www.laptop.co.nz/map.asp?location=2) - reason being, if there is any damaged components they will have access to them.

OR to the actual repair center for the Brand -- What brand is it ?

Greven
31-05-2010, 08:28 PM
parents ain't gonna use their insurance :(
gonna let it dry out by the fire (not right next to it though) and see how it goes tomorrow

in the event that it has to be fixed, what's a reputable place in Wellington to get it repaired at a hopefully reasonable cost(is that possible)

I may have to create a thread about recommendations for a laptop soon, so watch this space.

Why will your parents not allow you to claim on their insurance? Most insurance companies don't increase your premiums if you claim on contents insurance. You would have to pay their excess, but that would be a lot cheaper than a new laptop.

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 08:57 PM
mum emailed the tech person at her work and might have changed her mind about that. the excess is $200 so we'll see how it goes.

Sweep
31-05-2010, 09:40 PM
At least you owned up I presume.

Pay your Mother back for the excess by learning to cook. It will help you in the future when your partner to be leaves you.

Even if you only learn how to peel spuds or cook rice it may help.

And start drinking Rum as I think it causes less damage to keyboards than soup.

Also most of this was tounge in cheek and not meant to offend but please do pay attention to paragraphs 2 and 3. :D

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 09:59 PM
If you want to take it someplace - I 'd suggest The laptop Company (http://www.laptop.co.nz/map.asp?location=2) - reason being, if there is any damaged components they will have access to them.

OR to the actual repair center for the Brand -- What brand is it ?

HP

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 10:01 PM
At least you owned up I presume.

Pay your Mother back for the excess by learning to cook. It will help you in the future when your partner to be leaves you.

Even if you only learn how to peel spuds or cook rice it may help.

And start drinking Rum as I think it causes less damage to keyboards than soup.

Also most of this was tounge in cheek and not meant to offend but please do pay attention to paragraphs 2 and 3. :D

yeah thats true, although a certain event at uni did offset the disappointment of the laptop incident :D

our booze cabinet is almost empty :groan:

wainuitech
31-05-2010, 11:22 PM
HP If needed,, Visual Group (http://www.visualgroup.co.nz/wellington.php) - Official HP repair agents.

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 11:44 PM
my mum's techie suggested a place called Service Plus in Ngaranga , so we're going with that.

i'll keep that in mind though, cheers WT

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
if it goes in to be repaired do they need my password to logon or do they do it another way?

wainuitech
01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
my mum's techie suggested a place called Service Plus in Ngaranga , so we're going with that.

I'll keep that in mind though, cheers WT
You would be far better off with visual group. (if the tech guys suggests someone else, its not Visual Group who are the official repair agents and any parts if required would come from them anyway - Usually)They used to be in Taranaki Street, but last time I called them they had moved to the new location a several months back.

If your Laptop is password, then yes give them that, also take along your power adapter. When you fill in the forms for service, they generally ask all the details anyway.

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 09:05 AM
like OS and the such?

wainuitech
01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
They will take your contact details etc, give any passwords, the power Adapter so they can power it up ( they will have their own, but it makes it easier if you have yours in case theres a problem). generally they dont need any CD's.

From memory they ask if they data is backed up - and offer to back it up if needed (at a cost of course) - but the last PC I took to them was only a month or two old and blew the Motherboard, so it was a warranty job, I had already backed up the data.

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
all my stuff of "value" is on my external hdd so that shouldn't be a problem.

i had to do this out of warrenty didnt i :p

Gobe1
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Warranty wouldnt matter if you damaged it, insurance is much better
If its toast you should get a new one

EDIT: Good luck, keep us informed how you get on. And congratulations on having a good backup :)

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
will do. it's being dropped off this morning so we'll see if they can fix it or not, fingers crossed.

either way my bank account will take a hit :p

may be asking for recommendations soon :D

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
update: laptop dropped of to the repair shop, gonna be $100 roughly for them to look at for starters. if its the motherboard that needs replacing I'm told it'll roughly cost $1000:stare::eek:

they'll get back to me within a week on what has to be done, which isn't a bad time frame when i think about it.

so we'll wait n see what happens

Greven
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Laptop motherboards are hellishly expensive. Is your external hard drive a backup, or is it your only copy of the data?

GameJunkie
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
its just my data from uni work etc and all my video etc.

my music is still on it which is the only problem, but i got that on two ipods so i can just copy it back if i need to

Burnzee
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi GameJunkie

Here's a better idea. Get yourself a bag of rice, 1kg will do. Now get a large plastic bag that can contain your laptop. Put rice into the bottom of the bag and place lappie on top. Seal bag. Rice absorbs moisture.

Do not remove the battery. Seal any holes with tape where rice could get in to your computer. Try to put fan vents in a position where rice can't get into them. Make sure laptop is completely off.

Leave for a day or three. Job done!! Cost$ very little. This will only get rid of the liquid not any residue.

This tip is a great idea for any electronic gear that has liquid spilled on it.

Hope this helps

BURNZEE

GameJunkie
02-06-2010, 11:10 AM
it's already at the repair shop unfortunatley.

hueybot3000
02-06-2010, 05:43 PM
In my experience electronics are pretty good with water as long as they arent powered until completely dry. Laptop has seen a few spills, a couple of weeks ago my sony erricson cellphone got a very good clean in the washin machine. It lit up slightly when I pulled it out, then died. I freaked. But a day of dryin over my computer fans and its good as gold

And my graphics card and mobo has seen a bit of water as well while powered, shut it down and dried it all off and no problems.

Gets the heart pumping though

Alex B
02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Most times i find liquid only kills the keyboard, depends on the amount of course. But yeah, system boards are not cheap, my old lady as a DV3000, system board alone is $700 from Visparts with out any labour, I did find them for about 200usd overseas though.

The problem with taking it to a non HP Repair center is there a good chance they will not have the correct DMI branding tools, so if tyou ever try to do a cd recovery, it will not let you, as it ties into the DMI information.

GameJunkie
02-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Update 2: got an email from the repair place and it's only the keyboard that has to be replaced. hdd and memory passed testing.
Gonna cost $323 to fix, new HP kb.

Should take 10 to 14 days but might be quicker as it was only dropped off yesterday.

It's the best outcome really.

KarameaDave
02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Not bad I suppose.
You will no doubt be being
more careful, with the ol' cuppa soup, from now on then?
:D

GameJunkie
02-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Not bad I suppose.
You will no doubt be being
more careful, with the ol' cuppa soup, from now on then?
:D

Most definatley :D

Thebananamonkey
02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
You do realise that's not how liquid cooling works, right?

If it came down to $1k, I think I'd go for a new computer. Depending, of course, on how nice your current one is.

Unless insurance is happy to cover it, in which case go bananas (bad joke, I know).

GameJunkie
02-06-2010, 08:03 PM
it is a nice laptop, im working extra shifts to pay for it :D

might be a good time to upgrade to 4GB ram :lol:

Sweep
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Stop your girlfriend(s) from leaping on your desk and knocking the soup over perhaps.

Or as earlier advised drink Rum.

:2cents:

GameJunkie
02-06-2010, 08:32 PM
i wish i could blame one if i had one :p

i havent forgotten the rum yet :lol:

Sweep
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Perhaps blame a fellow student then while he/she was trying to read the notes you would be taking.

:eek:

GameJunkie
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I'll keep that on mind for next time

GameJunkie
16-06-2010, 06:01 PM
update: picked up the laptop today and all is well now.

good to have it back :D

8ftmetalhaed
16-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Good to hear :)

KarameaDave
16-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Good news! Maybe you need one of Digbys cup holders?

GameJunkie
16-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Good news! Maybe you need one of Digbys cup holders?

maybe :D