PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot "Just Broadband" Plan

somebody
30-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Is anyone here on Slingshot's "Just Broadband" plan? If so, how are you finding it? What's Slingshot's customer service like? Is the speed and reliability of the service acceptable?

wratterus
31-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd also like to hear from anyone on this or another of slingshot's plans...

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=109713&page=7

nofam
31-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd also like to hear from anyone on this or another of slingshot's plans...

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=109713&page=7

^x2

:thumbs:

ronyville
31-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I am with slingshot, been with them for 5 years now, never had any issues with their customer service, in terms of speed, i am getting 18MB down and about 650KB up. I am on one of their older plans that allows free data usage between 1am and 7am, thats when all my downloading is done. :D In terms of reliability, nothing major. Nornal data cap is 15GB of which I use about 10GB and the free off-peak, well its varies.. between 20GB - 80GB

KarameaDave
31-05-2010, 01:53 PM
You're lucky ronyville, they were the biggest pack of wallys
I've ever had to deal with...totally incompetent in my experience.
I will never use them again.

pctek
31-05-2010, 03:05 PM
If so, how are you finding it? What's Slingshot's customer service like?

I know a number of people with Slingshot and their opinions of customer service is 3 out of 10.

wratterus
31-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, their low level customer support guys are about as knowledgeable as a herd of rhino, but I can put up with that, they should never need to be contacted all going well.

Neil F
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I was with Slingshot Dial Up for many years (supposedly dubious llocation in suburb for proper broadband reception per the Telecom test).
I recently switched to Wireless Broadband with Tolls (speed is fine).
Basically Slingshot is like any Phone Helpdesk -some good (knowledgeable) and helpful folks and others who are vague.
Their web helpdesk is similar . I had a problem re spam filters ( i had set up to delete at source and not download) and was told to contact Phone Helpdesk. I phoned the next day - got a believable answer but was told " problem is our end we are working on it". 2 days later I got an email from a Jake Skipper (the same person who had told me to contact Phone Helpdesk) saying "you did not respond online within 48 hours so we assume problem is resolved". I emailed back saying what Phone Helpdesk told me- "are you not aware of this ? please confirm that you discuss with phone helpdesk and advise me if you agree with their comments to me". Jake Skipper never replied- maybe it is an alias.

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I have taken the plunge and gone over to Slingshot's "Just Broadband" plan from Xnet Fusion. Cheaper, same speeds or better, includes 25GB data. 500 free minutes on calls.

If I'd gone with a normal broadband plan I would have had to get a landline with Telecom first and then change it to a homeline with Slingshot after one month. Easier to just change Naked DSL plans. Don't want to get Telecom for anything.

LL

somebody
05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys. I've decided against it due to early termination fees at my current ISP.

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I had no disconnection fee from Xnet.
Will let you all know how it goes for me with Slingshot.

LL

gary67
05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I have taken the plunge and gone over to Slingshot's "Just Broadband" plan from Xnet Fusion. Cheaper, same speeds or better, includes 25GB data. 500 free minutes on calls.

If I'd gone with a normal broadband plan I would have had to get a landline with Telecom first and then change it to a homeline with Slingshot after one month. Easier to just change Naked DSL plans. Don't want to get Telecom for anything.

LL

Can I ask how much they charge for that plan?

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Can I ask how much they charge for that plan?

$79.95 all up

LL

cybernerd
05-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I had to wait 26 minutes to get a simple answer to a question about my account. Speed is good and is generally reliable so far. Been with them 2 months.

goodiesguy
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
telstra clear is good. we were orginally on the PDQ launch plan. then earlier this year, because we upgrade to PDQ Turbo which is sweet as. because we have been with them since Zfree, we got to go on PDQ Turbo which they no longer offer to new customers

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 07:04 PM
telstra clear is good. we were orginally on the PDQ launch plan. then earlier this year, because we upgrade to PDQ Turbo which is sweet as. because we have been with them since Zfree, we got to go on PDQ Turbo which they no longer offer to new customers

So, what has Telstra got to do with Slingshot Just Broadband?

LL

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I had to wait 26 minutes to get a simple answer to a question about my account. Speed is good and is generally reliable so far. Been with them 2 months.

Thanks for that, cybernerd.

LL

goodiesguy
05-06-2010, 07:44 PM
its an internet provider. slingshot is an internet provider. **** i've got nice advice to share and no one gives a ****

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
its an internet provider. slingshot is an internet provider. **** i've got nice advice to share and no one gives a ****

Read the thread, it says Slingshot "Just Broadband" Plan,
read further, it says I have switched to Slingshot. I don't have any interset in other ISPs at the moment, however I am happy to hear that you are happy with Telstraclear.

LL :)

goodiesguy
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
ok. i just thought you'd like to hear that telstraclear is a good ISP

lakewoodlady
05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
ok. i just thought you'd like to hear that telstraclear is a good ISP

You can be sure I checked exactly what I needed in an ISP before I changed over. Telstraclear may be good but, I wanted Naked DSL (I don't think TC has a plan for that) I wanted 25GBs plus. I wanted a reasonably priced package. I wanted some free phone calling minutes and a low ping and a high speed up/down.
I think/hope I chose wisely.

LL

lakewoodlady
28-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok, my number has now been ported to Slingshot's italk. Took a while and a few phonecalls back and forth.
Peter on the tech help was excellent, considering I don't have their recommended ATA set up. I managed to get most of the settings right on my one (Linksys PAP2T) and he talked me through the other ones. Very helpful.

So far so good.

LL :clap

somebody
28-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Great to hear!

lakewoodlady
28-06-2010, 10:12 PM
If anyone is interested in having Slingshot's Just Broadband with italk, I have saved all the settings you'd need to set up either a Linksys SP 2102 ATA or a Linksys PAP2T ATA in a file. Just pm me with your email addy and I'll send it to you.

LL Cheers

wozzy
11-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi there, would you mind sending me the settings that you are using for iTalk. I recently changed to them, and would like the optimal settings for mt SPA2102, thanks

lakewoodlady
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Wozzy,
If you have an SPA2102, You would probably be better to phone Slingshot's tech help and they will email them to you.

When I offered to send the settings I forget that they may be different for a different area, and I think they have to be area specific. I am in Taupo, so my settings will most likely not be suitable.

However if you would still like them to try I will send them tomorrow. I am on my Mac at the moment and they are saved in a file on my windows machine, which is currently doing a 4 hour download.

So send me your email addy in a pm tomorrow.

LL

italkguy
19-07-2010, 02:09 PM
If anyone is interested in having Slingshot's Just Broadband with italk, I have saved all the settings you'd need to set up either a Linksys SP 2102 ATA or a Linksys PAP2T ATA in a file. Just pm me with your email addy and I'll send it to you.

LL Cheers

Hi LL,

I've just moved over to Slingshot and bought a PAP2T - would you be so kind as to provide me with the settings details? I tried to PM you but as I'm new here it wouldn't let me - so maybe you could PM me?

Thanks in advance

Kerry. :)

Renmoo
19-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi LL,

I've just moved over to Slingshot and bought a PAP2T - would you be so kind as to provide me with the settings details? I tried to PM you but as I'm new here it wouldn't let me - so maybe you could PM me?

Thanks in advance

Kerry. :)
PM is not possible until you have reached a certain post level.

Perhaps lakewoodlady can post the settings on this page instead so that others can know about it as well?

lakewoodlady
19-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok, I tried to upload it using Manage attachments, but it is in PDF form (Open Office) so it didn't work.

Can't c/p it as part of it is in a table that you need to zoom in on to view properly.
Any other suggestions?

LL

stu161204
19-07-2010, 07:47 PM
lakewoodlady, PM me and I will give you my e-mail address, & I will upload the PDF file for you on to my web space.

Renmoo
19-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Do you have a GMail account, lakewoodlady? If yes, you can log in to Google Docs and upload the PDF document to your account. Once that's done, configure the settings to share the document publicly on the Internet.

I am trying to load ImageF1 here to determine whether it accepts PDF documents or not.

Cheers :)

lakewoodlady
19-07-2010, 08:08 PM
lakewoodlady, PM me and I will give you my e-mail address, & I will upload the PDF file for you on to my web space.

Ok will try that. So then italkguy can view it or download it?

LL

lakewoodlady
19-07-2010, 08:38 PM
I do have a Gmail and imported the file to it. Unfortunately it shows as a .odt file so the important piece with the table in is a no show. :(

LL

lakewoodlady
19-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Quick Guide to setting up the Linksys 2102 (Also works with Linksys PAP2T ATA)

Note : to setup a static connection, if your having troubles Telstraclear Cable, or to factory reset this device, go to the bottom of this document.

**Setting up

Turn on the device.

Using an ethernet cable, connect the Linksys from it’s Blue “Internet” port to a spare port on a router.

Plug a phone into the "phone 1" port. (some Unidens may not work)

Pickup the handset and dial****. You will be greeted with a voice menu.

Dial 7932# (# is the pound key or hash key). This enables router web access to the Linksys. You will be asked for a password, which is 1# to enable and press 1 again to save.

Hang-up the phone.

Pickup the phone again and dial **** for the voice menu.

Press 110# to hear the interface IP address. Write this down. It will be 192.168.0.5 or similar.

Type this IP in the browser to open up the interface. There should be no admin password screen.

Once you see the "Linksys" logo, you're in the interface.

Underneath the Linksys logo click on "voice".

Next on the extreme right click "Admin login", then "Advanced".

Then towards the centre click on “Line 1”.

The most important info goes into the subscriber information section. Use these settings

Subscriber information

Display name : 64 (+area code minus the 0 + ph number) User iD : 64 (+area code minus the 0 + ph number)

Password : Given by Slingshot (normally SS something)

*Copy information as close as you can from the “red circled” areas from the screenshot below. *

(If you print this, you won't be able to zoom in to enlarge it.)

Make sure the correct proxy is present e.g “wlg.italk.co.nz” is Wellington, “akl” is Auckland, tpo is Taupo. (Get this from Slingshot tech help)

Make sure the preferred codec is G711u

(or G711a if using a fax in the future when Slingshot finally supports - say 2011!!!)

Then select "submit all changes" (Or, Save changes) at the bottom.

The customer will see a reboot screen for 5 seconds then the interface will popup. It resets really quickly!! But takes around 30 seconds to register.

We know the customer has a dial tone (registered/logged in) when 3 lights turn green on the Linksys (power, internet and phone 1).

We can also ask the customer to check for a dial tone.

You can also use the iTalk online session page to see if the customer is registered.

Note: if a customer is having issues try

* replacing the Ethernet cable to the Linksys or use another port on the router (ping to test health of connection <1ms desired)
* change the sip port to 50600 or the proxy and outbound proxy to akl(region).italk.co.nz:50600. - Retest.
* change registration expires time to 60. Retest.
* advise to set up port forwarding to ports 5060 and 5004. They will have to do this themselves as we don’t support port forwarding.

You can also configure the MAC address on this device in Bill+.

Lines Logins>iTalk line>iTalk settings>Change Device

STATIC CONNECTION – for fine tuning connection issues

If you want to setup a static connection then in the interface below the Linksys Icon click “Router” then “Wan setup”.

Ask the customer to change connection type (drop down menu will be set to DHCP) to Static.

Then ask the customer to locate and then fill in the following fields with the correct info below.

Static Ip – 192.186.1.10 Netmask – 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 192.168.1.1

Also under the “optional settings” below the “PPPoE settings” fill in these fields.

Primary DNS – 202.180.64.10 Secondary DNS 202.180.64.11

Then click ‘submit all changes” at the bottom. (Or, Save changes)

This device may takes up to 30 seconds to register.

For Telstraclear cable broadband, if the standard connection – cable to router to ATA doesn’t work even after port forwarding, you may have to setup the gear in a daisey chain configuration. The setup will be as follows - Cable modem to the ATA (blue port), then from the ATA (yellow port) to a PC. The ATA’s interface can be accessed now on the IP 192.168.0.1.

Use the Statip IP (above), Gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers from TelstraClear (the customer should have these), NOT Slingshot.

Once you have a dial tone and you are surfing the net you can replace the PC with a “DHCP enabled” router to give access to more than one PC.

If you’re still having issues:

- try changing the sip port to 50600 or the proxy and outbound proxy to akl(region).italk.co.nz:50600. - Retest.

- Under the “Proxy and Registration section” - in the red circled area above: Set the “Register Expires” to 60. Submit changes. Retest.

** Can’t open the interface? – factory reset it and setup again. See below.

** Cant get a dial tone or it disappears after 10 minutes?

- Also try changing the setting use DNS SRV and the USE DNS SRV auto prefix to “yes” in the red circled area above. Make sure the static connection includes Telstraclear’s DNS servers and they haven’t diverted back to Slingshot’s DNS servers.

** try an ATA486 as they can also be setup this way on Telstraclear cable and I’ve had success with this before when Linksys has failed me!!!. Make sure the ATA 486 is NAT router enabled and NOT bridged (see basic settings).

Factory reset

Sometimes a device maybe faulty, or previously setup for a different connection type. It may require a factory reset. To factory reset this device plug in a phone and dial **** for the menu. Next dial 73738#. Then 1 to confirm. Wait 30 seconds for the device to reset.

Once this is done go back to the top of this page – see **Setting up.

If you have other questions or are not sure about any of the settings, give Slingshot tech help a call and they will help you. In the case of having unsupported hardware, at least try to do most of the settings yourself and then they don't mind helping so much.

LL
__________________________________________________ ___________

lakewoodlady
19-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Oops, that didn't work very well. Still hard to see the pic although with Ctrl + scroll mouse you can just about make out the settings.

LL

stu161204
19-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Ok will try that. So then italkguy can view it or download it?

Yep :)

Chilling_Silence
20-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Quick overview:
Plug your PC / Laptop into the "LAN" Port of the SPA2102, and have the InternetPort of the SPA2102 going to your Router / ADSL Modem
Open up your browser and go to http://192.168.2.1
Click on Admin up the top-right, then when the page reloads click on Advanced
Click on Line1 and scroll down, adjusting *only* the following information:
Proxy: akl.italk.co.nz (Adjust if you're not in AK)
Username: 6491234567 (Your username goes there)
Secret: YourSecretGoesHere

Scroll down to the bottom and hit "Submit all changes" and you're good.
Little bit easier only having to enter in those 3 values ;)

You shouldn't need to statically assign an IP Address to the LAN / WAN ports on the SPA2102 or PAP2T, that's kinda pointless for the better part and will likely only confuse people. Same for adjusting the codecs.

italkguy
20-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, you guys are the best! :clap

Thanks so much for posting the details on here, I will give it a go as soon as I find a suitable power supply for the PAP2T, as the guy I bought it off (Trademe) lost it!?!! hmm, if anyone knows what might suit and/or where to buy one I'm all ears :)

Cheers,

Kerry.

Chilling_Silence
20-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Kerry,

Contact Hads from http://www.nicegear.co.nz and he'll get you a good price on one.

italkguy
21-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Kerry,

Contact Hads from http://www.nicegear.co.nz and he'll get you a good price on one.

Hey CS,

I just made and tested a make-shift power supply lastnight by splicing an old Linksys routers power lead plug onto another power supply of the same voltage and it works like a charm. :)

Did the reset thing and am now awaiting the username/pass details from Slingshot then I'll be away laughing.

Thanks for heads up!

Kerry.