PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! SOMEONE? Fresh install of XP..

smudge
30-05-2010, 06:08 PM
What do I do??.
I backed everything I needed up, put the windows xp disk in, wiped everything then continued to install XP. I entered the key from the side of the case but it says it's invalid. How can it not be valid when that's the key I have ALWAYS had, I have NEVER given it out to anyone else to use so it has been the only computer to use that product key. I have no other windows xp computers here to deactivate either.

My computer is as good as a doorstop right now as I can't do anything until I enter a valid product key?? Any suggestions?

The computer was purchased around 2002 or 2003 and has had a clean install once before, but from a different disk.. I had borrowed my neighbours XP disk this time as I have lost mine and they have no need for theirs. Could that be the problem? Surely not as I thought it's the product key that is the most important part, not the CD?

chiefnz
30-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Make sure that the disk you are using is the same version as your COA key.

For example, you cannot use a retail disk with an OEM key and vice versa.

That may be the issue.

Good luck.

Incidentally, which version of XP are you installing?

Sweep
30-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Different XP version use different keys so probably that's why rejected.

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 06:15 PM
You put a key in not the S/N. Sounds like you're putting the wrong thing in the install

smudge
30-05-2010, 06:21 PM
The disk says version 2002, can't see anything about version on the COA sticker.

How do I find out?

chiefnz
30-05-2010, 06:28 PM
The disk says version 2002, can't see anything about version on the COA sticker.

How do I find out?

If it says "For dostibution with a new PC only." on the top left quadrant of the CD then it is an OEM version.

I may be incorrect but all the OEM disks I have say this.

On your COA label it should say MS Windows XP Home/ Professional etc

Then beneath that;

"OEM software"

"Upgrade" etc etc

Mine says OEM software and I cannot use that key with any other version of XP Pro CD.

smudge
30-05-2010, 06:51 PM
If it says "For dostibution with a new PC only." on the top left quadrant of the CD then it is an OEM version.

I may be incorrect but all the OEM disks I have say this.

On your COA label it should say MS Windows XP Home/ Professional etc

Then beneath that;

"OEM software"

"Upgrade" etc etc

Mine says OEM software and I cannot use that key with any other version of XP Pro CD.

Yes the disk does say for new PC only.. Is it possible to download an XP home torrent.. then use the product key on the side of my case? That's not pirating is it as I'm using my own product key.

Just looked, it says XP Home edition, then says Dell, beneath that is the product key, it doesn't say OEM or Upgrade. Product key only. (That's on the COA sticker on the side of the case)

wainuitech
30-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Yes the disk does say for new PC only.. Is it possible to download an XP home torrent.. then use the product key on the side of my case? That's not pirating is it as I'm using my own product key.

Just looked, it says XP Home edition, then says Dell, beneath that is the product key, it doesn't say OEM or Upgrade. Product key only. I wouldn't go downloading any torrent OS's -- you never know what else is included. (bugs)

Re the Dell COA-- If its a 2002 COA you may need an earlier version of XP - if the CD you have has SP2 or SP3 then sometimes the earlier keys wont work.

You need an earlier version (pre SP2), then you install the Service packs (done this many times). Sometimes when reinstalling Dells, I have had to use a Actual Dell XP CD, others simply dont work - other times any old XP CD works.

smudge
30-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't go downloading any torrent OS's -- you never know what else is included. (bugs)

Re the Dell COA-- If its a 2002 COA you may need an earlier version of XP - if the CD you have has SP2 or SP3 then sometimes the earlier keys wont work.

You need an earlier version (pre SP2), then you install the Service packs (done this many times). Sometimes when reinstalling Dells, I have had to use a Actual Dell XP CD, others simply dont work - other times any old XP CD works.

Yeah I had a feeling as the disk says SP2 and I'm pretty sure when I first bought it, it was SP1.

I know someone else with the exact same computer as me and still have their disks so I'll ask to borrow theres. Hopefully this will be the last time I'll have to reinstall it, but at least I know now that any xp disk won't do!

Thanks for the information :)

gary67
30-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah I had a feeling as the disk says SP2 and I'm pretty sure when I first bought it, it was SP1.

I know someone else with the exact same computer as me and still have their disks so I'll ask to borrow theres. Hopefully this will be the last time I'll have to reinstall it, but at least I know now that any xp disk won't do!

Thanks for the information :)

If theirs does work make a copy of the disc Not their key though just the disc

Greven
30-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Does your sticker say XP Home Edition, or XP Media Centre edition?

WarNox
30-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Or call MS and they'll give you an activation code if the key is legit :)

Agent_24
31-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Yeah the CD needs to match. If yours is SP1 and theirs is SP2 it won't work.

You need to borrow an SP1 from someone

Greven
31-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah the CD needs to match. If yours is SP1 and theirs is SP2 it won't work.

You need to borrow an SP1 from someone

You can use a SP2 or SP3 CD as long as it is for the right version (XP Home, Pro & Media Centre all require different CDs)

wainuitech
31-05-2010, 09:40 PM
You can use a SP2 or SP3 CD as long as it is for the right version (XP Home, Pro & Media Centre all require different CDs) Thats actually incorrect.

It does have to be either home/pro Or media centre and the same Key.

Sometimes it works fine using any version with SP's, BUT there are other times esp if they are from Name branded PC's (dell is the worst), you cant use a SP2 or 3 if the original install was SP1 or earlier.

About 2 months ago, I had the exact same thing, it was an Dell Branded PC, the original had XP (no Service packs) the key on the side would not accept any of the SP1,2 or3 CD's I have. Had to dig out an Original XP OEM CD with no SP's then it went straight in.

I also have stashed away in a safe place a XP Pro Dell original CD, several times when doing reinstalls on Dells with XP Pro, that CD is the only one that will work, yet I have Several Versions of XP Pro, with different SP's that simply wont accept the Dell Keys.

Greven
31-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Thats actually incorrect.

It does have to be either home/pro Or media centre and the same Key.

Sometimes it works fine using any version with SP's, BUT there are other times esp if they are from Name branded PC's (dell is the worst), you cant use a SP2 or 3 if the original install was SP1 or earlier.

About 2 months ago, I had the exact same thing, it was an Dell Branded PC, the original had XP (no Service packs) the key on the side would not accept any of the SP1,2 or3 CD's I have. Had to dig out an Original XP OEM CD with no SP's then it went straight in.

I also have stashed away in a safe place a XP Pro Dell original CD, several times when doing reinstalls on Dells with XP Pro, that CD is the only one that will work, yet I have Several Versions of XP Pro, with different SP's that simply wont accept the Dell Keys.

Interesting. We don't see many Dells down here so hopefully I won't strike any like that. I don't have any dell windows install CDs & the customers usually don't either.

Mr_Olympia
02-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I HAVE NEVER had any issues with this. If you call the tech support, they can activate it over the phone. As long as it is XP Home, then XP Home key 1 must have, if it is XP Pro sama sama. Just call them first its 0800 anyway. try activate it over phone. Failing this get a torrent, since if you legally own a copy of windows, then the EULA says you can have a copy of the CD AND USE IT. Failing that. go to a PC shop. ask them to burn you a cd, it usualy costs 10 bucks or something pittance, OR buy a five dollar case off trade me with the COA attached. P.S if the pc shop saays it is illegal, they are WRONG, however microsoft amended the EULA with Vista and Win7. Hope this helps.

wainuitech
02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Activating it is not the problem.

The problem is some name brand XP COA's will not work with any old XP home OEM CD.

I actually had the problem today,re-installed a Dell on a XP Home OEM CD with SP3 - wouldn't accept the key while installing, yet another CD thats only got SP2 worked fine.

Mr_Olympia
02-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Any Dell OEM XP Home CD can be used to reinstall XP Home on any Dell which was shipped with it (and similarly for XP Professional). In fact, with a valid COA (such as on the sticker on the computer case. So he/she has two options, A)Buy a case with a new COA, or buy a new Dell CD. Actualy im gonna try a dell product key, since i have a case. then ill tell you if it works or not.

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Cases dont come with COA's unless you buy another system. Dont think anyone would bother with that option just to get a key

PPp
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Anyway, once you've got it installed,updated and ready to go, make a backup of the system and save yourself a lot of trouble if you ever need to go through this again.