PDA

View Full Version : cheap lga1156 cooler?

Sum1
30-05-2010, 02:33 PM
maybi under $70 for some decent oc'ing

Thebananamonkey
30-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Define decent. The stock cooler should do you for gentle OC's. Look at some review sites. Tomshardware, MaximumPC and others.

Arctic Cooler 7 is around there. Probably your best bet for the $'s. If I were OC'ing, I'd spend $50 more and go for the Megahalems though. Why not get the best. Means you'll have low temps and if you don't push it too hard then you could turn the fan right down for an almost silent PC (depending on the fan).

[edit] This is why these guys are paid journalists and we're not. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535.html
It's always best to look for answers from the pro's before asking us amateurs. The prolimatech would still be my pick even though it's almost double your price range.

BBCmicro
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I am surprised at the TomsHardware poor evaluation of FreezerPro7 (rev2). I used the earlier version on a Q6600 and was quite successful at overclocking until I struck memory probs

Many of the TomsHardware comments show the same surprise and Arctic Cooling must have been expecting better otherwise they wouldn't have submitted it.

FreezerPro7 used to be a kind of standard but maybe the competition has simply got better? eg, with 120mm fans. Perhaps FreezerPro7 is just not suited to the aggressive cpu usage in these tests? All tests - even the noise tests - were done at full throttle

I recently upgraded to i5-750 and found the Intel cooler noisy (fan had a rattle). I replaced it with the FreezerPro7 rev2 and the machine is now beautifully quiet (has silent videocard). The headtsinkfan cost about $65, came with heatsinkcompound, and was easy to fit. I consider it good value. (I'm into multimedia not gaming)