View Full Version : Problem getting Pimero (alternative to Outlook) to work

30-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I've downloaded Pimero, and the download also included some Microsoft.net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 files, and Firebird (I assume all these are necessary to run Primero). The program appears to start OK, but is flagged "Pimero has encountered a problem and needs to close" If I select "Send error report" Pimero closes, if I select "Don't send", it also closes.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Pimero twice, with no effect. I can however, run it if I move the "encountered a prob" window off screen and ignore it, but that's not a solution.

I'm running XP Pro SP3, Outlook 2003, H&S Office 2007, Firefox 3.6.3 Is Firefox an issue? (please don't tell me I have to go back to IE!) Is there some other compatibility issue I need to address?

Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
Product Name OptiPlex GX60
Serial Number GCVD81S
Infrared (IR) Supported No
DMI System UUID 44454C4C-43001056-8044C7C0-4F383153
UUID 4C4C4544-0043-5610-8044-C7C04F383153

Disk Space Disk C: 4644 MB Available, 38162 MB Total, 4644 MB Free
Disk E: 211 GB Available, 298 GB Total, 211 GB Free

Physical Memory 759 MB Total, 218 MB Free
Memory Load 71%

Virtual Memory 1858 MB Total, 1297 MB Free

PageFile Name C:\pagefile.sys
PageFile Size 1140 MB
In use 67 MB
Max used 76 MB
Registry Size 4 MB (current), 54 MB (maximum)

Can anybody come up with any suggestions how to get Pimero running properly?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Look in event viewer. See what that says

30-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks Speedy. Here's what it says (it doesn't mean anything to me) ...

Eventype clr2or3, P1 pimero.exe, P2 5.1.18171, P34b790e66, P4 system.windows.forms, P5, P6 4889dee7, P7 6112, P80, P9 systemargumentexception, P10NIL


Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Do these appear in add/remove programs? Microsoft.net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 ? Even tho it may need these, it may not install them.You may have to install them yourself / manually

30-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, all these appear in add / remove programs. I may try uninstalling everything including these microsoft.net framework + firebird and start from scratch again.

Stay tuned :)

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I would say its a .net framework error. Is .net Framework 1.0 / 1.1 installed as well?

30-05-2010, 05:14 PM
No, I didn't have 1.0 and 1.1, and now I've uninstalled what I had, including Pimero.

Do you think I need 1.0 and 1.1 as well?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Try this to make sure it removes everything (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx). Then reinstall 1.1 + 2 + 3 + 3.5 and their updates. Hopefully it doesnt stuff up programs you use (that you've installed)

30-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I can't even get this to finish off the setup wizard on Win 7 32 bit. Just hangs at the end and I have to kill it. When I restart the app it gets to 25% of Initializing Application and that's it. I have FW.net 2 installed.. Have uninstalled and reinstalled twice..

30-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Two things I have found --

1. If it hangs, it appears to hang for sometimes about 3-4 minutes, then finishes, the less memory your PC has the slower it is while installing, once running its fine.

2. I installed it today in total on 5 different OS's on workshop PC's.

Interestingly the only ones that cause any problems were XP.

In both cases it crashed in XP.

Vista it hung up once on install, but to be honest I think its more to do with that install of Vista, it is damaged and often most programs wont install first time. All the Windows 7 's flew in no problems what so ever.

I did notice they have a Live help/chat. Might pay to open that and ask (assuming it is actually live).

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Installed fine here on Vista x64

01-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Does it sync with google calendar?

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Pass look on the site

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Well, I tried it on a clean install of XP. Too slow. Dont know if its because its only got 1.3 GB or not. BUT, loading, it took 2-3 mins to get into it. Deleting things took the CPU usage to 100%. And took 1-2 mins to disappear. And every 2nd - 3rd time I quit it then ran it again, it got so far loading the data, then decided to quit altogether. No error no nothing.

02-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Worked well on XP ...for about a day...and then the loading problems alluded to previously occurred. When loading did finish..nothing showed...yet when I went to uninstall the programme through Control panel..it said the programme was open. Had to reboot to uninstall. Pity...it looked good :(

02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Worked well on XP ...for about a day...and then the loading problems alluded to previously occurred. Pity...it looked good :(

This is frustrating, because it does look good. I contacted their help desk, sent them the event log, and all they could come up with was that there was some problem they couldn't identify, with IE. My default browser is FF ...

02-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Well the fact that they say there is a problem with IE is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. My browser is Google Chrome...so the problem therefore exists across at least 3 browsers if it is a browser related problem :)

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Well I dont know what a browser has got to do with it. Sounds like a lame excuse to me

05-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Their help desk wasn't really all that good, excepting they responded in good time.

By way of update, I installed IE8 and all the patches and updates, installed Pimero again, and it now works without any problem at all. I was also able to import all my Outlook data without any drama.

And - I still have Firefox running as my default browser. Thanks to all who showed interest in getting this resolved.