PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new PDF reader program, that you can test

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Its only in beta atm, but it looks like its free. Totally free. Not too sure if it'll be free once its final. But it doesnt say it wont be.

Its made by the same guys who made Nitropdf (http://www.nitropdf.com/corporate/pr/pr_250510.htm). Its called Nitro PDF reader (http://www.nitroreader.com/). It can do what paid PDF programs can do. You can create / edit / extract. Preview PDF files in Outlook / My computer (in Vista and Win7 - dont know if you can preview in XP, even tho you can install it in XP), without opening the PDF file. Scan a sig, then add it, add notes / comments to a PDF file. And also comes in 32 and 64 bit installs

32 bit install = 22.6 mb. 64 bit install = 25.3 mb

wratterus
30-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Nice. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Yup looks like it'll be a good program ONCE its final. And IF it's still free

PinoyKiw
30-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Seems to work ok in WinXP, just had a play with it to view and print out some boarding passes.

Renmoo
30-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version. Looks great (has all the necessary eye candy), but in the end I still prefer Foxit, mainly due to the smaller taskbar along the top (unless there is a way to shrink the icons in the ribbon?)

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Read the help file. But since it's a beta, it may or may not work yet

Sweep
30-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I quite like Nitro over Foxit so far.

wainuitech
30-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Well I just downloaded it -- Does that count as liking :p

smurf
30-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Looks good speedy...I will persevere with it and give it a go. Rich in handy features :)

bob_doe_nz
30-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Not too bad. Opens slightly faster than Foxit.
Though the install file is larger.

Sweep
30-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Well I just downloaded it -- Does that count as liking :pNot yet my friend.

You do have to install after downloading for some strange reason.

But I believe you know this already.

:)

Cyberhuskey
31-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Found on Nitro's forum:

Chris Dahl, Official Rep, replied 3 days ago
Yes, it will stay free.

GameJunkie
31-05-2010, 11:18 AM
dowloaded at 2.2MB/sec :D

wainuitech
31-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Not yet my friend.

You do have to install after downloading for some strange reason.

But I believe you know this already.

:) Awhh Spoil Sport :p Spoil all my fun:lol:

Ok did install it late yesterday - must admit, it does have a few features that are real handy, like taking a PDF and converting it to plain text, easier to copy paste text that way then having to take screen shots (if required).

Sweep
31-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Awhh Spoil Sport :p Spoil all my fun:lol:

Ok did install it late yesterday - must admit, it does have a few features that are real handy, like taking a PDF and converting it to plain text, easier to copy paste text that way then having to take screen shots (if required).

The number of people I see that say my PC is up to date as I downloaded SPx probably would not suprise you. :dogeye:

gary67
05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Well it doesn't display PDF's very well son sent one to print and Nitro only showed the pic without the text as I didn't know I printed it. When I opened it in Foxit it displayed everything so Foxit is back as my default PDF reader

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Well it is still a beta and the 1st version. So, dont be surprised if it doesnt, or its full of bugs

mzee
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I have used Nitro PDF Pro in W7 for some time now. The PDF printer is very good, but I prefer Foxit for copying graphics and text.

Sweep
06-06-2010, 01:22 AM
A general comment here.

We are all Beta testers until the Computer wakes you when you want to be woken and makes you brekkie.

My PC knows the date and time and also day of week. BUT for some reason it insists on serving Rum and Coke for breakfast when it SHOULD know that the same should only be served after noon or even later.

On a more serious note I do find Nitro to be better than Foxit for what I want to use it for.

BBCmicro
06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Foxit is not perfect. Had to install Adobe Reader recently because Foxit refused to print a dcoument identifier on the bottom of a security clearance form. (Might have been an encoding error of course)

bob_doe_nz
06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I just tried NitroPDF on my latest Xnet bill. Wouldn't even display right. Foxit on the other hand is fine and dandy.

wainuitech
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry mate cant resist --Did Nitro show higher or Lower of a monthly charge $$$ :D

Been using Nitro since Speedy posted the original link -- Most things work OK -- Neither Foxit or Nitro, position the typing function 100% when filling out PDF forms though, you have to "juggle" where the cursor is put to get the text to line up :annoyed:

bob_doe_nz
07-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry mate cant resist --Did Nitro show higher or Lower of a monthly charge $$$ :D

Still the same. Just a big ball of wibbly wobbly text.
Here's a picture of the print preview. Left is Nitro, Right is Foxit.

Neil McC
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Same here bob, but mines better.Cuts off the amount owed!

B.M.
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Same here, could be a good programme if they ever get it to work. :)

Still, itíd a beta version isnít it?

bevy121
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Awhh Spoil Sport :p Spoil all my fun:lol:

Foxit has a

"click to view this PDF document as a text file"

button...

wainuitech
08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Foxit has a

"click to view this PDF document as a text file"

button... Yep-- But its a pain in the Butt. If I take a 74 page Document and open it in foxit / text file mode, unless I highlight the page count down the bottom, it will only display one page at a time, instead of allowing scrolling.

The moment you click anywhere on the page you have to go back to the page count and start again at the page you want if scrolling is required.

Both programs have their good and bad points.