PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP2

lakewoodlady
29-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi guys,
Am trying to help someone who has VISTA, but no service packs on it. Will he have to download SP1 first in order to get SP2 on it?

LL

GameJunkie
29-05-2010, 11:38 PM
yep.

SP1 has to be installed before SP2

KarameaDave
29-05-2010, 11:45 PM
It will make a big difference,
Vista now, is a much tamer beast than Vista then!
Though, apparently, not the fabulous OS 7 is!
:rolleyes:

wainuitech
30-05-2010, 12:11 AM
yep.

SP1 has to be installed before SP2 yepppppppppppp-- Fun ain't it :p

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Not if you're on dialup :p And you're using 64 bit

wainuitech
30-05-2010, 12:16 AM
:sleep:sleep:sleep Huh Time to wake up yet --Oh look - only 700MB to go back to :sleep SP1 32 & 64 Bit (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb738089.aspx) -- SP2 32 & 64 Bit (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx).

lakewoodlady
30-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for that guys, the person I am helping has his computer set for auto updates so I was surprised that the services packs weren't on it.
I suspect that it is set at the default (stupid) time of 3 am. I have suggested he change it to a more convenient time, so when he does, the floodgates will open! :badpc: Hope that doesn't stuff up his computer worse than it is now.

LL

wainuitech
30-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Manually run Windows Update - When the number of updates appears click the number to show whats coming through - the service packs will usually show and be unticked, tick them, then they will download and install.

What will happen --- SP1 will appear, install it, manually run updates again - you will normally have to manually run 2-3 times, putting in small updates, then finally SP2 will appear ( unticked) tick it, install-- then keep running updates manually, each time you will get a few more till finally they are all through.

The service packs, will take on average approx an hour each. I did a customers Laptop yesterday - took close to 4 hours to put in all the SP's and other updates.

WARNING: sometimes it looks like the SP's are doing nothing, the progress bar doesn't move for a long time DONT be tempted to restart the PC, they are installing - restarting the PC at the wrong time will cause all sorts of damage resulting in a system that wont boot, cant go forward or backwards.

lakewoodlady
30-05-2010, 11:15 AM
The person I am trying to help is actually on another forum so I have nothing in front of me. But I will copy/paste the directions you have given and just hope he understands them. Thanks Wainuitech.

LL