PDA

View Full Version : changing vista to xp

shione83
29-05-2010, 07:21 PM
hey guys,
i have a pc with xp which is nearly dead ...i have an acer aspire 5315 laptop with vista. i intensely dislike vista and i am getting the impression the laptop does as well.
sooooo.... can i format the laptop and install xp using my own disks on it? and if i do will the recovery disk i made of vista enable me to reinstall it back again if it goes to custard on me?
the laptop has a recovery partition on the HDD

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I would burn the ISO's to cd/dvd off the Vista PC first, if you havent yet. Just in case you format the recovery partition. Are you going to put something else on the PC then?? Besides XP? Because you cant put XP (the same CD) on both of them

goodiesguy
29-05-2010, 07:35 PM
you can put xp on another pc using the same disk. tho my laptop has xp home wheras my dads pc and mine have xp pro

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Umm no you cant, or youre not meant to

KarameaDave
29-05-2010, 07:51 PM
A disc and a key are different things, GoodiesGuy.
You can install an infinite number of systems from a disc, if you have enough keys.
You can have one system per key (except for volume keys)

ronyville
29-05-2010, 08:04 PM
sooooo.... can i format the laptop and install xp using my own disks on it? and if i do will the recovery disk i made of vista enable me to reinstall it back again if it goes to custard on me?
the laptop has a recovery partition on the HDD

Yes you can install XP on the laptop. And the recovery disk that you made of the Vista should allow you to reinstall Vista back on the laptop later. Also the recovery partition on the laptop should not be formatted as it can also be used to reinstall Vista back on the laptop if you lose the recovery disks that you created. Hope this helps.

Greven
29-05-2010, 08:12 PM
You are not supposed to reuse OEM licences, but Microsoft don't bother enforcing that policy - if it doesn't activate, you can just ring the provided phone number & they will usually ask you if it is installed on multiple computers before activating it for you. Are there XP drivers available for all components in the laptop?

Vista isn't that bad on a decent computer

goodiesguy
29-05-2010, 10:35 PM
i have used the same disk and same key on lots of my pc's. you can't buy xp anymore, plus they don't really care. i don't see the harm.

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2010, 10:38 PM
:xmouth: Well no wonder all of your computers are stuffed

KarameaDave
29-05-2010, 10:49 PM
They DO sell XP still...on netbooks.
It is not free software, you have been warned before about
this free and easy attitude you have towards Microsoft's
products and Intellectual Property.
It's not a problem, if you keep it to yourself.
But you seem hell-bent on destruction.
Time for you to move to Linux IMO
Mint works well on most PCs
It'sw great (but it's not Windows)

Greven
29-05-2010, 11:00 PM
i have used the same disk and same key on lots of my pc's. you can't buy xp anymore, plus they don't really care. i don't see the harm.

Moving your XP key to another computer is one thing. Running it on multiple PCs is another matter entirely.

goodiesguy
29-05-2010, 11:11 PM
i'm meaning they don't sell xp as a sole product. i didn't know netbooks used it

wainuitech
29-05-2010, 11:17 PM
They DO sell XP still...on netbooks.
It is not free software, you have been warned before about
this free and easy attitude you have towards Microsoft's
products and Intellectual Property.
Very Well Put. :thumbs:

goodiesguy -- Maybe you should learn to read as well -- Next time you try to install any MS software- actually read what you are agreeing to when you click " I agree"

From the EULA:http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/EULA.jpg Just because you dont actually read it is no excuse.

In W7 it states
One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

Edited:

i'm meaning they don't sell xp as a sole product So what -- That doesn't give you the right to blatantly ignore or go against any license agreements.

If you have a LEGAL copy of XP, it can be reinstalled on the same PC as many times as you like. Just not on other PC's as well.

Ice Road Trucker
30-05-2010, 05:37 PM
goodiesguy, read the rules

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=93314 (http://http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=93314)