PDA

View Full Version : Two files Systems on a single HD?

namboothiri
29-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Hi, While dealing with Ubuntu in Vista64 a stagating situation arose. However, instead of ending the programme, I restarted the PC. Following this, a formatting window popped up asking to format some 12GB in NTFS otherwise it could not be used. Although there was clear mention of the HD, this was inadvertently ignored and a quick format was done. Then I came to realise that the disk was an External 500GB which is FAT32 that really had only some unused space left. Now the whole Disk is a no-go zone! where there are so much photographs from the last 6-7 years and many valid docs. While It was a grossly careless action!

But I wonder how the PC could show a fraction of the free space in a FAT32 HD of 500GB and asking to format it in another file system? Now the Disk shows up only just under 13GB in volume!

I read Wainuitech's help tips but don't know what to do because I still wonder how a DH could end up in two File Systems and how they can be separated in order to recover the FAT32? Thanks.

MushHead
30-05-2010, 01:57 PM
What do you see if you open up Disk Management (Start->Run, "diskmgmt.msc", Enter) & select the external HD? It should show you all the partitions on the drive in the lower half of the window, as in the attachment.

namboothiri
30-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi MushHead I had used the Disk Mgmnt yesterday to find the right disk volume (this was never partitioned) and in NTFS. So the small part I formatted was in a corrupt environment, I suppose. In the meantime, I used another recovery tool that showed the files are safe and the HD is good health. However, I do not have another big HD to save them. So it is disconnected until a new one is bought. I am wondering whether it should be an Internal or still External. Thanks so much.

namboothiri
30-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I had a bit of a reading to understand what GNOME is from their website. However, still in dark as to where to "connect" what I picked up due being in a start up stage. So, if all of you please excuse, may I ask:

How does GNOME as a software work in a desktop environment. Does it provide/support to an OS from behind or standing alone and

How does a user come to realise that it is 'attractive'?
So, how do I find it as a single/multiple software/s in application? Thanks.

KarameaDave
30-05-2010, 03:17 PM
This is a good place to start

http://www.gnome.org/about/

GNOME is the desktop environment(and a development framework).
KDE and XFCE are other desktop environments

namboothiri
30-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks Dave. Will start as advised.

namboothiri
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi This refers to MushHead's query/advice and my incomplete/incorrect reply. In the top Table of DiskMgmt utility, this Drive is 'H' (Have two others with partitions in them), Type-Basic, File-NTFS, Status-Healthy (Primary Partition), Capacity-13MB, Free Space-3MB, Fault Tolerance-No. In the Table below, this is Disk 2, 465.76GB NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition).

Although intitially I used Handy Recovery, a free version tool for inspection, I've moved on to a Restorer Ultimate, Demo version. It has pulled out almost every file and indicates the chances of recovery. It costs US$49.95. Another one under consideration is EASUS. It is $69.95. They don't have a demo but I suppose, they are very reputed and also provides limited free tools for home users. The new HD (internal) has just arrived. I'm now on making a decision over EASUS or RESTORER.

So any further suggestion from you MushHead or anyone on this? Please do so if you have. Thanks.