PDA

View Full Version : Modem unsyncing?

8ftmetalhaed
28-05-2010, 09:40 PM
In short, after months of trouble with vodafone tech support I bought a new SMC wireless modem to replace my wired one (which turned out to be the problem, and vodafone gave me account credit which was nice).

In the past two days, however, my modem has lost sync with my PC a few times.
It'll say it's still got a lan and wlan connection, and that it's still synced up, but my pc's will complain that they've got no network access, and I won't even be able to access the modem to look at any logs.
I thought it was just my pc dorking around, but it just happened on my laptop, and i checked, it happened on the pc simultaneously indicating there might be something i've done wrong with the modem setup.
The only way to sort it I've found is to turn the modem on and off again. Which is rather inconvenient, since that's pretty much the problem that I just worked so hard to fix with vodafone anyway! now it's just a local disconnection, which should be far easier to fix! GAH!

Oh and of course -

The modem's an SMC7901WBRA2 B1, SMC networks Barricade G wirelesss modem.

I'm running Win 7 professional on my desktop, and Win 7 premium on my laptop. The laptop connects wirelessly, the desktop via the ethernet.

Anyway, hopefully you guys will (once again) be able to help.

Also TL;DR -

PC's lose network access to my SMC barricade modem, both wirelessly and via ethernet. Can't access the modem at all, have to restart it to fix it.

pctek
28-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Hmmm, take the modem back.

8ftmetalhaed
28-05-2010, 10:16 PM
best advice i've ever heard!
except I can't take it back till monday. And I bought it from PB tech, who apparently have crap returns policies.

Ahwell.
I might try resetting the modem to factory setts tomorrow when I get a minute. I might have dicked up one of the settings causing the problem. All I thought I'd done up till now though was enable mac filtering and add my pc and laptop to the exceptions list, and enter my isp details.
Ahwell.

Cheers for now anyway pctek.

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm not a fan of those SMC Barricades by any stretch of the imagination...

This may be of use to you: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Anyways, PBTech have been fine in the few instances I've had to return something to them :)

8ftmetalhaed
30-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. If it unsyncs again I might take it back. At the moment it's workin ok.

Thanks guys :)