PDA

View Full Version : Download torrents to a website

The Error Guy
28-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Is there a way to download torrents directly to a website? I want to be able to download torrents directly to my remote web server without having to download and then upload them again (it chews the bandwidth to hell and back and takes far too long)

I am assuming that this would probably use a web based client that would either use FTP or a script that is uploaded to the server

Hopefully this is possible!

limepile
29-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't you need to run a torrent client within the site ?

If it is possible to install one on the server it'd just be a case of configuring it to transfer the completed torrent onto the desired web page ( uTorrent would be ideal, its small enough and really easy to configure ).

Erayd
29-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Is there a way to download torrents directly to a website? I want to be able to download torrents directly to my remote web server without having to download and then upload them again (it chews the bandwidth to hell and back and takes far too long)The short answer is yes, you can do this, and there's a lot of software around for doing so (most of it runs on Linux). You should ask your hosting provider first though - long-running processes, non-webserver processes, and large amounts of hard-to-shape bandwidth are all things that most web hosts explicitly forbid in their terms of service, or severely limit. I doubt they'll look too kindly on such usage unless you pay them quite a bit for the privilege.

A better idea would be to get a VPS system somewhere and install a torrent client on that.

The Error Guy
30-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Ok, thanks for the help. I have 2x servers. one in Torronto (webserver, linux based) and a storage server the UK. the hosts didnt like the idea of that at all, they would let me D/L for 15mins up to 1.5gb off-peak times (on my linux webserver) solution was to let my mate who own the Co. that hosts my uk server get a copy of what ever I D/L as a sort of payment. thanks for the help though, appreaciated!! nice to know that it is possible!

Agent_24
30-05-2010, 11:49 AM
You'd be looking at installing Torrentflux if you wanted to do this

goodiesguy
30-05-2010, 02:49 PM
isent this illeagal?

if i put a thread up like this i'd be banned

trinsic
30-05-2010, 03:09 PM
isent this illeagal?

if i put a thread up like this i'd be banned
Torrents are not illegal.

As for OP, yes you can:

rTorrent (cli)
TorrentFlux (gui)
uTorrent (gui)

There may be others but I'd say these are the main ones.