PDA

View Full Version : Vista laptop getting stuck on normal startup

AvonBill
28-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I am helping a colleague with a problem she has with her computer during normal startup. It's nearly beaten me and I will have to rebuild from scratch if I can't solve it.

The machine is a Toshiba M200 C2D 1.73GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Vista/SP2 32bit.

Most often during normal startup it gets no further than "Microsoft Corporation" and the animated green bars. All disk activity stops. I wait ages and nothing happens.

Boots into safe mode just fine. First time I did this I did a full backup of all of her data. When I restart it normally after safe mode it starts ok! This seems to be the pattern. A normal startup on the heels of a safe mode startup seems to work ok. However if I shutdown from normal and restart normally it stops as described above.

I've tried hibernating and resuming and that works fine. But a normal startup after a normal shutdown just sits at the animated green bars.

I've done full scans with Avast and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.

Have tried the startup repair option but it found nothing wrong.

Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be?

wainuitech
28-05-2010, 03:32 PM
When it starts, click start, type in Reli Look for Reliability and performance in the results.

Click it,In the open Window, on the left select Reliability , where it stopped / Hung, there should be a red circle with an X - click that - below should be a description of what the problem(s) are.

What does it say?

feersumendjinn
28-05-2010, 09:25 PM
and I will have to rebuild from scratch if I can't solve it.
You should have a recovery partition, press 0 (zero) when rebooting, to access (will return system to factory; save off your data first).
Before you do that though, have you tried System Restore? (Control Panel>Backup & Restore Center).

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Could be a driver issue / something loading on startup. If it boots OK into safe mode

8ftmetalhaed
28-05-2010, 09:52 PM
you could also try diagnostic startup using msconfig.

Start > run > type "msconfig" > diagnostic startup > apply and reboot.

That'll boot windows with only the most basic drivers needed for the PC to operate. If it starts up quick, it'll be a process or program that runs on startup.
You could then/also have a look through her startup items and running processes, see if there's anything in there that you know can be culled, and stop it.
I do it for things like anything apple based (quicktime, adobe) update based (java update sched...) and the like.

If that still doesn't solve the problem, maybe try a registry cleaner, defrag the harddrive (if you haven't), scan it for errors, etc etc.
If that doesn't work, then yea, a rebuild might be an idea.

AvonBill
29-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you for those ideas. I'll try them on Monday and let you know how things go. Just a couple of points of clarification:

feersumendjinn: Tried system restore; no help. It does have a recovery partition and I have made DVD recovery disks as well so no problems rebuilding if I need to.

Speedy ,8ftmetalhaed: Yes it does start in safe but it will also start normally but only after booting into safe mode first, curious huh? I also use msconfig and autoruns to cull the startup.

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Post a hjt log in safe mode / networking / or boot into normal windows. We'll see whats in it. Or I could check it out with teamviewer now, if you want