PDA

View Full Version : Need new PC advice

Danger
28-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi always come here for advice and I'm sick of having computer problems. My current system is giving me problems when trying to use Integrated Mapping Map Toaster, XP Pro, the CPU gets maxed out and the program crashes, tried reinstalling it, checked out my Ram, its sposed to be 2x 512 but they both read only 448 and at different times the GHZ is 1.78 and then 2.19 so it seems to be playing up and I don't have time to muck around with it much. I can't run my mapping software properly.

So I think I'll bite the bullet and ask advice on a new system. I need at least # 1GHz or greater CPU speed (actually the software works fine on slower computers, but this is the minimum we recommend).
# Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 or XP, with a minimum of 512MB, 1GB is recommended. http://www.maptoaster.com/scripts/mt-faq/faq.dll/Article?id=3

I only need the system, with Windows 7 installed I guess, don't need a monitor or anything and I don't have a lot of time to research and get my head around everything.

Would like something with a bit of grunt I'm sick of mucking around trying to keep things working. Please help with some advice. Cheers.

KarameaDave
28-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Nearly any new PC is going to exceed those minimum requirements.

So the question is, are there other applications you want to run?

Gaming?

Photoshop?

Video editing?

Otherwise just look for a bargain.

But, I would make sure that application is compatable with 64bit Win7
before I bought a PC with it on.
Otherwise just get the 32bit version.

Danger
28-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Ok I don't even know what the difference is between 32 and 64 bit or why there is a difference or which one I should get. Is Windows 7 64 bit? The Map Toaster documentation says it is compatible with Windows 7. No gaming, photoshop or video editing.

KarameaDave
28-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Windows 7 comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions, 64 bit allows the use
of more than the 3(ish) GB of RAM the 32 bit system can use.
If you don't need more RAM than that, then 32 bit will be fine.
If you think you might need more then go for 64 bit.
But I would contact the software vendor and just confirm
it is compatible with 64 bit as the website does not specifically
mention it.

Sweep
28-05-2010, 02:43 PM
You can get Win 7 32 bit or Win 7 64 bit if you use a 64 bit CPU and most new ones would be 64 bit CPUs.

Win 7 64 bit will allow you to use more RAM but that does not mean the application will use same.

pctek
28-05-2010, 03:29 PM
My current system is giving me problems when trying to use Integrated Mapping Map Toaster, XP Pro, the CPU gets maxed out and the program crashes, tried reinstalling it, checked out my Ram, its sposed to be 2x 512 but they both read only 448 and at different times the GHZ is 1.78 and then 2.19

RAM reports 448 because you have an integrated graphics chip rather than a separate graphics card so the graphics chip steals system RAM.

The CPU business, I'd guess it's your motherboard.

The 64bit part matters, you need to find out if the mapping software works on 64BIT never mind versions of windows, if it doesn't then you'll have to make sure you get Win 7 32bit.

Get 2GB of RAM if stuck with 32bit, if not get as much as you can.

DON'T get a Sempron or Celeron CPU and make sure it's at least Core 13, Core i5 is better, probably slightly overkill but hey, you want grunt this time round..........

Danger
28-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for your advice. I have got the software working again after uninstalling my AV and reinstalling the mapping software. Currently trying another AV (comodo) to see if that works. It wasn't working with Avast or MSE installed. What you say makes sense, if I have no luck I will follow your recommendations. Thanks.

Danger
28-05-2010, 04:05 PM
How would this do?
http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/computers/compaq/presario-desktop-sku-28776/

pctek
28-05-2010, 05:21 PM
How would this do?
http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/computers/compaq/presario-desktop-sku-28776/

Hell no. It's a "brand" generic piece of **** sold by a chainstore.
Go look at Playtechs website and get something real.

Danger
28-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Ha ha cheers. Looks like I might be getting to the bottom of the problem anyway. Its a bug in the software and I have a new installer to download which should hopefully cure the problem in my mapping software.

KarameaDave
28-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Think of the savings! :D

gary67
28-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I run a rival mapping software, memory map on win 7 64 bit. It runs fine although it too had a glitch I couldn't create marked waypoints all got fixed with a reinstall of the latest version. I'm only running 2GB RAM at the moment on a core 2 duo and speed is fine

DeSade
28-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I got a PC for sale that would suit your needs and then some.
All it needs is a OS which you can get for about $180 OEM

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DS5 LGA775
Ram: 4gb Adata Extreme 2x 2gb (two empty slots for upgrading)
PSU: TX750w Corsair
Graphics: Geforce 9800 GTX XfX XXX edition 1780 DDR3 ram factory overclocked
Hard Drives: Around 1tb of space over 3 or so drives all Seagate Sata2 standard drives
Optical Drives: 2x LG DVD Writers
Card Reader: Standard 32/1 card reader
Fan Controller: Thermaltake
Front Ports: 2x USB 2.0 and Sound/Microphone port

Yours for $1000 + shipping if your not in Christchurch

Danger
28-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks but I've got the mapping software sorted now, just having issues with the Comodo security and it blocking certain files from working so uninstalled that, reinstalled MSEAV now I just need advice on a new firewall. Its never ending!

DeSade
28-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Can't help you there, Windows firewall has always been enough for me.

KarameaDave
28-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Some info on the built-in firewall in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/winfirewall.mspx

Danger
28-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah I'm just going to use Windows firewall. Seems in the past everyone liked to advise using something different but seems these days that the windows one is good enough. Everything is working now, will download and run Glarys Utilities and hopefully everything will stay working.