PDA

View Full Version : windows live mail question

fastcars
28-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Many times I prefer to place an image (a .jpeg file) directly within the body of an email rather than attach it. This ensures that the recipient sees it upon opening the mail.
This has always worked perfectly for me until just recently. Now something must be broken as all the recipient sees is the 'red cross'.
Can anyone suggest what may have changed in my setting and what should i do to fix the problem.
Thanks.

wainuitech
28-05-2010, 01:49 PM
What happens if you send an email to yourself - does the picture come through ?

If the setting in Live mail has changed to plain text instead of html, then you wont even be able to insert a picture, as the option will be grayed out.

You may find the person(s) receiving - their mail program or even IE may have security in place to stop embedded pictures from displaying.

PS: what OS are you using as well ?

Sweep
28-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Or you may be sending just a shortcut to a pic on your PC?

fastcars
28-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your replies.

wainuitech: If I send it to myself I get the same result. Just the red cross. (It shows on my page before I send it).
OS is Windows 7.

Sweep: No, not a shortcut. I always do my resampling, cropping and any other manipulations, then send a copy to the desktop and insert from there.

wainuitech
28-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Try this -- Open Windows Live mail, make sure the menu bar is showing, if not then top right from the drop down box, select it located Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture11275021924.png) -- from the menu bar - Tools > Safety Options... > Security Tab > Download Images section and uncheck Block Images - Highlighted here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture21275021970.png) save it, close mail -- see if that fixes it.

While in that settings box, uncheck the one above Do not allow attachments to be saved bla bla

fastcars
28-05-2010, 05:56 PM
wainuitech: Thanks. That sounded like a winning solution - but sadly no. It's
still the same.

Sweep
28-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Still looks like you are sending a link or shortcut to me.

Why are you sending the image to the desktop after editing same?

fastcars
28-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks sweep.
I've sent several thousand images this way over many years. As far as I am aware I'm not doing anything differently to the way I've always done it.

Sweep
28-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks sweep.
I've sent several thousand images this way over many years. As far as I am aware I'm not doing anything differently to the way I've always done it.

OK. In that case I'm not sure of why it does not work now.

OTOH you can't have had windows live mail for many years.

wainuitech
28-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Well its got me buggered to.

I have been trying every security blocking measure I can see, and I cant even replicate it. I even made a shortcut to a picture and used that, but it still went through fine - so doesn't look like its a short cut problem.

Just in case its something silly.

Can you reply back each separate (Exact) step you are doing to insert the picture before sending.

So. you have a picture on the desktop:

You open a blank Mail -----------

Sweep
29-05-2010, 12:01 AM
If using Win 7 the OP could use problem steps reporting maybe.