PDA

View Full Version : Mobile faxing ..

Nomad
27-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Hiya, I know there is fax mail, someone can send a fax to you and you can access this via voicemail and forward the fax to a std fax machine.

In the past with the 2G GSM phones, the software provided a dial up modem / fax as a device. So you could send a fax off your laptop (attached to the mobile phone) from say Microsoft Word or Outlook.

I've asked around both Telecom and Vodafone and they said no. Just want to double check if anyone had done it before? Have mobile phone manufacturers stopped faxing and and just gone to email?

Cheers ....

Nomad
28-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Fro those interested. It appears for Nokia at least they have rid of faxing even on the Communicator E90.
Don't want to use interner fax service ...

Might need to get a older phone but seems like some may work in Vista (Data Suite s/w) so it might work on Windows 7. Hoping ..... (Sending) It's also a phone feature not a network, thou faxmail is a network feature to Voda I think (to receive and then forward it to a fax number of your choice).

Why? Well. I may not have a landline in the future and email don't cut it for many orgs, it's not acceptable ie., banks, govt depts etc etc...

I've got a 6310 at home but I forgot the SIM PIN, haha, dad has the 5110 but he likes it, haha.

johcar
28-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Fax is so 1980s!

I use a scanner and create a PDF with my signature embedded and then email - let the recipient waste their own paper and toner/ink!!

R2x1
28-05-2010, 10:12 AM
The major difficulty with sending a fax from a cellphone is feeding A4 paper into those short-sightedly small gaps in the side without creasing the document. I wont go into the problems of cartridge leakage in your pocket with a fax printing phone.

Sweep
28-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Snail mail still works apparently even though invented before telephones.