PDA

View Full Version : Webcam for Skype

John Robb
27-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I am being pushed into setting up Skype and having looked at many webcams what are the specs required to get a satisfactory result. Any comments most welcome

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Whats the specs of the system? The system requirements will be on the box.

Nomad
27-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I dunno, I have a Logitech S5500 and it is alright. You do get motion blur when you move etc.. The quality is alright, not t he sharpnest. Love to know from others who have used better ....
The correction in color balance is decent. Dark room or at night with the (yellow) lights on ... it's decent. You won't get that yellow you get on some digital cameras.

If you get connecting issues with it, try to download the latest drivers, helped me....
For me it's pretty simple, USB and it should work, unless you have quite a old system. I found that maybe a 2Mbit internet connection required. That's about it. I think dial up speed is ok for voice only.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I've got the MS VX-3000 (logitech installs, installs too much crap, which is why I dont have one). I think it is. Its got a button for windows / live messenger, but I dont use that. Too much crap. But it works fine with Skype

John H
27-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Agree, don't go anywhere near Logitech. I have a top of the range Logitech camera sitting doing nothing because it just kept dropping connections all the damned time. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, but nothing worked.

I went and bought a Microsoft crap camera (so-called LifeCam VX1000), and have never had a dropped signal since. I don't have all that ghastly Logitech software all over my computer either.

I talk to my daughter several times a week, and she is over 300 km south of Perth WA and has to use a crappy wireless internet connection, but the dungery old Microsoft camera and software works every time.

Trev
27-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I have the same as Speedy using with Skype no problems.
:)

rebels181
27-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I bought a $10 webcam off Trademe and use it on skype with no problems.
Might look at getting a better one later on if we keep using skype.

b....
27-05-2010, 11:01 PM
MS VX-3000 like Speedy and Trev. Works well.

goodiesguy
27-05-2010, 11:05 PM
i just use my camcorder: Panasonic NV-GS11

John Robb
28-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Many thanks for all the comments and advice. Not often that MS is the favorite option. Looks as though the VX3000 has been superceded by VX5000 so will get one of those.
Cheers

John H
28-05-2010, 10:23 AM
John, check around for reviews of the new model before you buy. I have some recollection that the reviews were underwhelming. I could of course be mistaken, but you might find that the expected performance of the 5000 was not met, and that the earlier model would be fine if you can find one. I stand to be corrected...

rumpty
28-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I suggest a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. Have one here, and bought one for my daughter and family overseas, for use on Skype. Nice quality Carl Zeiss lens, and it will do HQ in Skype.

To keep down the software installed with it, just install the driver, and not the whole bundle. Or use Linux - no software to install at all for it.

John H
28-05-2010, 04:25 PM
That is what I had (still have, chucked in a cupboard). No matter what I did with software installation, it kept freezing all the time on Skype. If you look at the reviews of this camera, there are lots of reviews that say the same thing about it. Great camera, pity about the software. Several people say it just doesn't work with Skype and some other messaging programmes. Well, that was true for me.

Nomad
28-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Under XP the included CD was like that. The Logitech software recognise it easy and you can take pix, record video etc etc .. but it does not sync with a chatting software all the time. I've had no issues with Win7 x64 with the latest downloaded driver thou fwiw.

John H
28-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Under XP the included CD was like that. The Logitech software recognise it easy and you can take pix, record video etc etc .. but it does not sync with a chatting software all the time. I've had no issues with Win7 x64 with the latest downloaded driver thou fwiw.

OK, I am still on Win XP. I stand to be corrected. :)

rumpty
28-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Hi Nomad. I'm still using the 11.8 software on XP, and I don't think there are any problems (hard to sure with Skype and imperfect BB connections though!)
Are you using the 12.xx software now?

Nomad
28-05-2010, 07:27 PM
XP I had version 11.7 (CD). Now I am using:

# Title: Logitech Webcam Software with Vid
# Software Version: 1.1

rumpty
28-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info Nomad. I might upgrade the software for the Logitech camera, but the Skype system seems to go pretty well at present.

Just completed a call to my daughter's place in France, and allowing for their mediocre BB connection, it was good. They have the same Quickcam Pro 9000 as here. No picture freezes worth noting, and the lip sync wasn't too bad either. I had recently persuaded them to upgrade their Skype from the ancient 3.6 to the current 4.2 release, so I think that has improved the result.