PDA

View Full Version : fraps - massive file size

Blackandblue
27-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Hey, I used fraps and I wanted to record some games and after 29 secs the file was 1.35GB. And the game rounds last for around 35-60mins. Thats gonna be around 97gb-167gb per video! is there any settings to make the recording file size smaller?

Any tips/tricks? Another program?

bevy121
27-05-2010, 04:25 PM
apparently this may be the reason
(you cant lessen recording settings any more can you?)

Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

from here (http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/222079-How-can-i-decrease-the-size-of-videos-i-record-with-Fraps)

importing into movie maker and saving again from there is supposed to work ok too

pablo d
27-05-2010, 05:15 PM
The only settings you can change within FRAPS is turning the FPS down to 30 and selecting half size video.

This limits your ingame FPS to 30 as well though, and the file size is still massive. Not sure what other progs are out there.

Blackandblue
27-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi, i set it to 50fps and half size. Umm does taking clips of about 250-1gb about 20 times per game, then deleting the clips i dont want. And then doing this for about 20 games in any way damage/decreased my hard drives proformance?

I just wonder cause Ive read that installing and unistalling programs can do stuff to the registry.

thanks

goodiesguy
27-05-2010, 09:09 PM
you could try CamStudio Which is free and open source

dian77
27-05-2010, 09:48 PM
What about that program called gamecam?

MAC_H8ER
28-05-2010, 09:50 AM
grab a free program called AutoGK - its a few tools all bundled to make it simple to compress the files

so long as you dont record fraps in widescreen autoGK will work brilliantly

you just record the fraps video (about a gig per minute of space needed) then show the file to AutoGK and tell it how small you want it (you could compress it down to 1mb if you wanted - it would be hilariously rubbish quality but it will do it)

i find myself that for good quality video's with good sound you can compress them down to about 50-100mb per gig of raw video

Agent_24
28-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi, i set it to 50fps and half size. Umm does taking clips of about 250-1gb about 20 times per game, then deleting the clips i dont want. And then doing this for about 20 games in any way damage/decreased my hard drives proformance?

I just wonder cause Ive read that installing and unistalling programs can do stuff to the registry.

thanks

I would just save it to default format (assuming you have enough space) and then recode it to a smaller file afterwards

No it won't damage your hard drive or decrease its performance.

Yes you may end up with leftover bits in your registry. Usually they do not make much of a difference though.

What will make a difference is if your filesystem is fragmented. That is why you need to run the Defragmenter from time to time.