PDA

View Full Version : No Boot

Robbie W
26-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Windows Vista 64 Home Premium.

Computer was running as usual last night,this morning refused to boot.

Can't go into safe mode.
Tried windows reinstall.(can't intall to an external drive).
Loading ubunto does not see the hard drive.
Spotman does not see the hard drive.

Any ideas?Any comments appreciated.

Seems very funny from O.K to dud just switching on and off
I shut down useing the shutdown process and turn power off as always.

Thanks for reading.

Regards Gramps

CYaBro
26-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Sounds like the hard drive has died.
Have you checked in the BIOS to see if the HDD is being detected in there?
If it isn't check the cables/connections inside the PC and if still not working yo may need to pull it out and stick in another machine as a slave and see if it is detected.

wainuitech
26-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Seems very funny from O.K to dud just switching on and off
I shut down useing the shutdown process and turn power off as always. Not uncommon.

My Own PC two years ago, three drives in one year all died the same way. Fine one day, turn off, dead the following morning. (Two seagates one, Western Digital)

Just as well I do nightly backups to WHS - puts back every thing from OS/Programs, the lot :)

pctek
26-05-2010, 09:36 PM
My Own PC two years ago, three drives in one year all died the same way. Fine one day, turn off, dead the following morning. (Two seagates one, Western Digital)

You must have the record. While I have had a dead drive or two, actually, no, just on the way out drives..never that many.

Don't you hate that, us techs hardware is not supposed to do these things to us.

wainuitech
26-05-2010, 11:00 PM
You must have the record. While I have had a dead drive or two, actually, no, just on the way out drives..never that many.

Don't you hate that, us techs hardware is not supposed to do these things to us. Hmmmmmmm -- yeeeep yeeeep yep OH HUM :waughh: --- oh well enforces the need for backups I spose, can happen to anyone at any time. All were replaced under warranty.

On the forth Drive (seagate) ---- and its been running sweet as, its now a workshop PC, run daily.

Robbie W
26-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Going to check out another drive tomorrow.No HD showing in bios that's why I was so puzzled when my external drive was showing as C:.

Thanks for replies.

Regards Gramps

Agent_24
27-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Famous Seagate firmware bug strikes again? Apparently that is fairly easy to recover from...

wainuitech
27-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Famous Seagate firmware bug strikes again? Apparently that is fairly easy to recover from... Nope not this time - I did check the Drives models.