PDA

View Full Version : What anti Malware suite to buy.

symiggy
26-05-2010, 04:40 PM
My current subscription to ESET Smart Security 4 from NOD is due to expire in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice as to which comparatively priced software suite would be best to replace it.
I might add that I originally started with NOD about three years ago primarily as a result of advice from this forum and I have not had any reason to regret that purchase ...I was however wondering if the general opinion on this forum had changed over the last few years. :confused:
Thank you all.

inphinity
26-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I tend to use ESET products still, with periodic Malwarebytes AM and SpyBot scans.

nofam
26-05-2010, 05:09 PM
My current subscription to ESET Smart Security 4 from NOD is due to expire in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice as to which comparatively priced software suite would be best to replace it.
I might add that I originally started with NOD about three years ago primarily as a result of advice from this forum and I have not had any reason to regret that purchase ...I was however wondering if the general opinion on this forum had changed over the last few years. :confused:
Thank you all.

As Inphinity says, Eset is still the product of choice; the level of protection you require ultimately depends on the risk you expose yourself to, but NOD32, plus the odd scan will Malwarebytes/SuperAntiSpyware should be enough. Make sure you have the firewall functionality on your modem turned on too, and if you're using P2P software, make sure they're locked down correctly.

wainuitech
26-05-2010, 05:48 PM
As Inphinity says, Eset is still the product of choice; the level of protection you require ultimately depends on the risk you expose yourself to, but NOD32, plus the odd scan will Malwarebytes/SuperAntiSpyware should be enough. Make sure you have the firewall functionality on your modem turned on too, and if you're using P2P software, make sure they're locked down correctly. X2 -- Dont go changing a good product just because its due to expire.

I see this sort of thing all the time, people use Nod32 - have no problems, then when it expires, they change to a free AV--Problems begin - and they go back to Nod32.

wratterus
26-05-2010, 05:55 PM
X2 -- Dont go changing a good product just because its due to expire.

I see this sort of thing all the time, people use Nod32 - have no problems, then when it expires, they change to a free AV--Problems begin - and they go back to Nod32.

+1

Stick with Nod. :2cents:

symiggy
26-05-2010, 05:56 PM
X2 -- Dont go changing a good product just because its due to expire.

wainuitech:
Thanks for your advice... I will stick with NOD in all probability.
I did not mean to imply that I intended to change, I was merely wondering if the strong positive advice in favor of NOID 32 had changed over the past few years.
I do recall an article that appeared in PC World a few months ago which recommended another product ...NOD 32 was not even mentioned in that article as I recall.

wratterus
26-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Reviews in mags mean SFA - It is beyond me how the likes of Norton and Trend Micro continue to get the best reviews... :groan:

wainuitech
26-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Reviews in mags mean SFA - It is beyond me how the likes of Norton and Trend Micro continue to get the best reviews... :groan: Maybe $$$$$$$$$$$$ under the counter :xmouth:

pctek
26-05-2010, 06:42 PM
[B]ESET Smart Security 4 f

I still recommend NOD32 as the best antivirus, however I wouldn't bother with the full security suite as it's firewall is a bit lame.